Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Cursing in Oblivion

It doesn't seem out of place to me, other than the eralier comments about there being multiple gods.

Do you go around damning Jehovah? If an ancient Greek would say "goddamn," he'd refer to Zeus. I guess Imperials would refer to Akatosh. After all, there is a Temple of the One in the capital.

In Myst 1, D'ni was spelled Dunny in the credits. Just saying.

It's a game guys come on++

I agree that if, as Rodi claims, words like "fuck" don't exist because there are a bunch of distracting, lame made-up swear words, that "goddamn" still isn't ruled out. If you want to goddamn something, you pretty much have to use the words god and damn. If you say, "F'illymon mackey!" then the meaning wouldn't do anything beyond being an expletive.

let's be fair. the characters in oblivion have a lot to swear about.

Just wait till you get the part where Septim says "I'm gonna ice those niggas". That line really ruined it for me.

wtf? is this really a line of oblivion? :eek:

thanks god my young, innocent brother purchased a (probably horrible) translated german oblivion and that i'll (probably) never have the time to play it on his xbox 360. :getmecoat

wtf? is this really a line of oblivion? :eek:

Fuck yes man, it's all about the ride-by's with a bow and a couple of arrows.

I just noticed that when you reach 100 Mercantile skill, you can do some rhymes about each item, and the shopkeep will help you by throwning down a beat! I mean, it doesn't really do anything, but it helps to immerse you in the world.

Fuck yes man, it's all about the ride-by's with a bow and a couple of arrows.

I just noticed that when you reach 100 Mercantile skill, you can do some rhymes about each item, and the shopkeep will help you by throwning down a beat! I mean, it doesn't really do anything, but it helps to immerse you in the world.

Psssst. Too much. Too much. I don't think he's buying it...

That's kind of the point though, isn't it? Telling him what's going down... dawg.

Allow me elevate the discussion to a new intellectual level by contributing a piece of totally pedantic and baffling trivia. Did you know that in one of the most famous french theater plays of the 18th century, Beaumarchais' Le mariage de Figaro (yes, that one which Mozart's opera Le Nozze is based upon), there is in one scene an entire (and famous) diatribe by the main character Figaro about the use of the word Goddam in English?

Basically, Figaro is going to be sent by his master, the count, to London for some business. The count then objects that Figaro does not speak english. Figaro explains at this point that he knows the word Goddam, and that it is more than enough to get oneself understood in England, whereby he gives a variety of examples and concludes by saying

"Englishmen, to say the truth, add here and there a few other words when they converse, but one easily sees that Goddam is the foundation of their language"

(poor hack translation by your humble servant)

Check it for yourselves:

http://membres.lycos.fr/jccau/ressourc/thea18/beaumarc/figa_ac3.htm

So, my point is that, from a frenchie point of view, (which I am, you guessed it) this whole conversation is hilarious. How can "goddam" not be in character in a fantasy setting, when it is part of the most classical literature from 230 years ago?

In other news, Beaumarchais is known to be one of the most famous representants of the long "french smart-ass" tradition. He also had a major contribution in convincing the king of France of supporting the american revolution against these goddamn Englishmen.

hehehe. i don't need to buy oblivion. if i ever feel the urge to play oblivion i will do it with his oblivion on his xbox. what else are brothers good for? :deranged:

Everything CanarDuck said

That has so little to do with anything I'm almost crapping myself. That said, it was an amusing tale and don't keep them back if you have more of them!

That has so little to do with anything I'm almost crapping myself. That said, it was an amusing tale and don't keep them back if you have more of them!

Oh, it had everything to do with everything. Everything to do with everything.

In the eyes of the French 250 years ago, goddamn is the basis of the English language, mofo. So it must have been around for a while before that too, n'est pas?

That has so little to do with anything I'm almost crapping myself.

You... accusing me of posting off-topic? I'm deeply hurt.

Seriously, though. What is it these days with people crapping themselves all the time?

It's become yet another shitty (PUN !) internet meme. The crapping of pants is all about excitement, so I guess that's what many are trying to convey using that particular form of exaggeration.

Crapping ones pants has been around for at least 2000 years, as it is written in John: ,,and so, the lord looketh upon the mountains and beheld the terrible vision of Jehova, and beshat his loincloth."

You... accusing me of posting off-topic? I'm deeply hurt.

Don't feel bad, it's kind of a hobby around here. Welcome to the forums, btw.

I prefer the genesis account of pant-shitting myself. "And God did look upon all His creation, from the mightiest beast to the lowliest insect, and He did say unto Himself 'holy fucking shit, I did it' and did promptly void His bowels with such speed and force that the very mountains did tremble with fear."

It never specifically mentions pants, but I believe that a creative interpretation of the passage will make it clear.

The game in french is a subtle and long torture... like a 47 hour long advertisement for Nutella with all the out of syn lip-syncs and the tone radically different from one sentence to another.

Goddamn you, Take Two why did you take the international version from us? Aren't we worthy enough of getting Patrick Stewart? Oooh, the pain...

Goddamn you, Take Two why did you take the international version from us? Aren't we worthy enough of getting Patrick Stewart? Oooh, the pain...

Besides a few characters, the english dub isn't all that great either, if that's any comfort. :shifty:

Oh my god, they took the effort to translate THIS ENTIRE SCRIPT:

devdiary_feb_screen10B.jpg

in FRENCH?!

Besides the enormous superfluous costs, when will people learn that localization only hurts a game? For crying out loud!

When will people learn that translation of games needs to be done high quality translators who are also fans of the game, and gaming in general. They just don't seem to understand that there are some things about games and fantasy/sci-fi settings that a general translator can't fathom.

Believe me on this, I've worked there.

To move away from the horrors of localization; what mods are you using, if any? I just decided to install a few and it's a great way to get more enjoyment from the game. My favorite ones are probably Call Steed + Saddlebags, Quest Award Leveling and the BTmod which greatly improves the UI.

Edit: Right, I thought I was in the main Oblivion thread. Sorry for posting this here. Having two active threads on the same game makes things a bit confusing at times (like when you don't concentrate).

I really have nothing of import to say, but I felt bad that one of my posts knocked this off the main page's "cursing, cursing, cursing" theme. Thus, balance is restored. :fart: