Sign in to follow this  
Kolzig

Crysis HD quality GDC 2006 trailer

Heh, what's with that Metal Gear Ray ripoff at the end?

That's no Metal Gear. Haven't you heard? Aliens invade earth, again!

I think this time they rely on ice...

It is indeed truly astonishing stuff. The part where they demonstrate motion blur almost looks like actual video footage for a moment.

If it's real.....then it looks amazingly good, let's just hope that CryTek has really worked on their story-telling skills since Far Cry.

If it has a great story, this series could overtake the likes of Half-Life.

I started watching it (from a link elsewhere, before seeing this post), anticipated actual gameplay, and closed it, bored, after about ten seconds.

Also, Far Cry's story was saved by the voice acting. It was so bad that it seemed like a parody rather than a serious attempt. The guy who played Jack was especially hilarious.

I started watching it (from a link elsewhere, before seeing this post), anticipated actual gameplay, and closed it, bored, after about ten seconds.

There is actual gameplay in there, pretty much. I mean, it's probably scripted, but it shows off the first person mode and some destruction of the forest (all buildings, and I guess vegetation too, will be destroyable).

The story seems pretty bad at this point though... North Korea and the US teaming up to fighting aliens (who depend on ice), on a pacific island? I guess all the money EA's been paying them doesn't cover a writer. :tup:

The faces all look great, even though the pupils are enourmous, but there is some serious lack of AA in that second picture, that Chepito posted. I know, I know, it still looks great, but when a game is this focused on graphics I expect them to squeeze as much as possible out of the engine at all times.

Mmmmm, looks nice. And most of it isn't really there to show gameplay, right? It's an engine demo, with only a sneak peek of Crytek at the end.

But the faces don't look half as impressive in-game as in that piccie, to my eye.

Do you guys find that after the first watch, new engine-demos start to feel current-gen? It's like the Unreal Engine 3 shots. When I first saw them, they blew me away. Now my mind has tricked me into thinking that every game looks that good. Weird.

See, that bugs me. Why would aliens invade earth if they need ice to survive? Especially a tropical place -_- It's like that move Signs - beings allergic to water try to invade a place that's covered in the stuff. Slight strategic miscalculation?

Other than that I know nothing of the game or how good (or bad) it is. It certainly looks pretty enough, but hey, HL2 still looks pretty too.

See, that bugs me. Why would aliens invade earth if they need ice to survive? Especially a tropical place -_- It's like that move Signs - beings allergic to water try to invade a place that's covered in the stuff. Slight strategic miscalculation?

Other than that I know nothing of the game or how good (or bad) it is. It certainly looks pretty enough, but hey, HL2 still looks pretty too.

Yeah, you'd think they'd land in the Arctic or something, not on a tropical island.

Maybe it will be good though, if the story is along the line of HG Wells or John Wyndham. That's just wishful thinking though.

If it's real.....then it looks amazingly good, let's just hope that CryTek has really worked on their story-telling skills since Far Cry.

If it has a great story, this series could overtake the likes of Half-Life.

Truer words never spoken. I never got more than 3 or 4 levels into FarCry because I couldn't stand the storytelling, the writing, the voice acting. The entire implausibility of it. From what I've heard of the rest of the story, it doesn't sound like it got any better either.

I have a dream that one day devellopers from around the world will gather and say : "Hey, the Cry Engine 1 is beautiful enough, let's concentrate on contents now"

I have a dream that one day devellopers from around the world will gather and say : "Hey, the Cry Engine 1 is beautiful enough, let's concentrate on contents now"

If I had to call it, I'd be more inclined to say the Crysis revision of the engine is more appropriate for that. Even at the time of its release, stuff like the way you could just waltz through the foliage and the pop-up in the distance as you moved around, was a bit disconcerting and game-ish for me. But yeah, perhaps after this iteration, Crytek can make a game that involves more than just shooting people.

Yeah, for a game so focused on sneaking through the underbrush, they could have had the underbrush at least rustle a bit as you crawled through it. Having my head pass directly through a leaf kinda takes me out of the experience. Despite that, and the mediocre story, I did enjoy the game though. Something about being silent death always makes me happy. Same reason Splinter Cell manages to keep me coming back.

Only thing that really bothers me is the STALE weapon selection.....I was reading an article in Computer Gaming World, I think, where when asked what the weapon choices are, CryTek replied with......you guessed it!!!

Pistol, sub-machine gun, shotgun, rocket launcher, bigger machine gun. (Sigh)

On the other hand, when you look at the weapons available to us irl {1} they all broadly fall into that category. There are of course also other non-gun weapons, but in general guns get the job at hand {2} done more efficiently.

{1} well, not to 'us' specifically. Us, as in people that have guns available to them.

{2} i.e. killing as much in as short a time as possible. Aren't people lovely.

They'll probably be grenades too.

Weapon design is tough though. Nothing has done as well as the original half life selection, although obviously the HL2 grav gun get s special mention.

Hmm, this gives me an idea for a compo....

That's ice, the aliens in the game need extreme cold to survive.

If this is an essential part of the plot, then it's not very reassuring about the quality of the whole story. I'm not much of an astronomer, but of all the icy planets in our solar system, not to mention the temperature of vacuum space itself, these aliens from outer space had to land on Earth for their vital needs...Bugger.:shifty:

Ever since I heard about aliens involved, I expect FarCry2 to be slightly worse than its predecessor in terms of storytelling. Let's just hope this new story will be as discreet as the previous one : you were just getting phone calls every 2 hours or so, that was ok.

In other words, I kind of liked FarCry's story, reminiscing me about Jurassic Park and all... But clearly, knowing its weakness, part of why I enjoyed it was that the game itself didn't seem to pay attention about its own story.