BigJKO

Revolution at GDC thread

from an interview with Nintendo of America's senior director of public relations, Beth Llewelyn:

IGN: Have you seen these Nintendo Go photographs floating around the Internet?

Beth: You're about the fourth person who has asked me that. I have know idea what that is. I haven't been on the Internet yet today, but I have no idea what that is.

IGN: Are you going to keep the name 'Virtual Console' for your Wi-Fi download service?

Beth: That's my understanding.

That Nintendo GO picture is fake, and Virtual Console is the name of the download service.

Or he's just lying. Take your pick.

He is a she, Beth is woman's name. :grin:

And yeah, I really don't think that N Go thing is real.

I can almost bet money on the final name being Revolution.

Only a bit, mind you.

So when are we supposed to find out its name?

It's all going down at E3, or perhaps a day or so before. About two months from now is a good guess though.

Oh. Thanks for the info, Oath.

If you're following Iwata's keynote at the GDC, then join in on the thread.

Supposedly we'll get the final name of the console. Not big, but at least we get to say it's stupid. And that's always fun.

I guess that was before the keynote took place and we found out that we didn't get doodley squat.

They really seemed to have put a lot of filler in the keynote. Even though it's pure speculation, one could say that this is because they were going to announce something, but then decided against it at a late moment.

I hope they stick with Revolution, as it's a nice name that goes against the trend of just adding numbers at the end.

They really seemed to have put a lot of filler in the keynote. Even though it's pure speculation, one could say that this is because they were going to announce something, but then decided against it at a late moment.

And to continue that speculation, perhaps it's in response to something Sony did or didn't do the day before? Like announce a price (so Ninty could undercut them) or show the controller or something.

And to continue that speculation, perhaps it's in response to something Sony did or didn't do the day before? Like announce a price (so Ninty could undercut them) or show the controller or something.

While this is a valid train of thought, their respective pricepoints aren't going to be anywhere near each other. Featurewise though, you might be on to something. I sure hope so, because whatever they would be holding out on annoucing is bound to be good for us (whether it's Sony or Nintendo related).

preferably ninty related, as region free or not, the PS3 will be outside my price range for quite a while. If there's going to be something awesome announced soon, I'd rather it be something awesome that I can afford. ;(

Man this sucks. Nintendo here in the Netherlands had updated the star catalogue again (I believe all countries have this; you can save up stars by buying games and systems and then exchange them for goodies), but all the good stuff was gone in ten minutes. Damn it! Usually it's full of absolute bollocks like ringtones or wallpapers, but every now and then Nintendo fills it up with an incredibly small amount of cool stuff, like games. This time they had Metroid Prime Echoes and the one I wanted: Mr. Driller for the DS! But it was all gone because they only put in 10 units or something. Which is ridiculous.

The only times I was able to get something cool was when I got the Zelda Bonus Disc, but that was only because they put 250 units in the catalogue. Now they're only serving the absolute nerds who check the website every ten minutes. Damn it. Regular people never get a chance. I wanted Mr. Driller :frusty:

A small consolidation IS that I get to review Worms DS for the Dutch Nintendo magazine [N]Gamer though. I had been wanting the play that game, and now I also get to give my stinking opinion on it. Yay! :gaming:

Man this sucks. Nintendo here in the Netherlands had updated the star catalogue again (I believe all countries have this; you can save up stars by buying games and systems and then exchange them for goodies), but all the good stuff was gone in ten minutes. Damn it! Usually it's full of absolute bollocks like ringtones or wallpapers, but every now and then Nintendo fills it up with an incredibly small amount of cool stuff, like games. This time they had Metroid Prime Echoes and the one I wanted: Mr. Driller for the DS! But it was all gone because they only put in 10 units or something. Which is ridiculous.

The only times I was able to get something cool was when I got the Zelda Bonus Disc, but that was only because they put 250 units in the catalogue. Now they're only serving the absolute nerds who check the website every ten minutes. Damn it. Regular people never get a chance. I wanted Mr. Driller :frusty:

A small consolidation IS that I get to review Worms DS for the Dutch Nintendo magazine [N]Gamer though. I had been wanting the play that game, and now I also get to give my stinking opinion on it. Yay! :gaming:

:eek:

You have GAMES in your catalogue? Actual games? We only have ringtones and such...

Not that I'd use my stars on a game, I always save them for stuff I can't find on the store...

The only interesting thing we had lately was the Baiten Kaitos soundtrack...

I wonder if Miyamoto will appear with that green mushroom shirt? They ran out of those in the star store in seconds!:frusty:

No, they've pretty much got the useless nonsense ringtones and crap here as well. But every half year or so they'll put in ten games or something that are gone in five minutes, after which there's another endless draught. So I think it's the same everywhere. And I don't get it, because they're only serving the people who are so fanatical they already have everything and then just 'take another gameboy' just to sell it again or something. This happens all the time. They need anoher system where people get a fairer chance of getting something. Or just put MORE in there than ten units every half year.

I have seen the Revolution case. It's so pretty. It's so small. Much smaller than the pictures lead you to think. I'm in love.

Yeah the Revolution looks really small but really elegant and solidly built at the same time. I hope they don't change the case too much from what they've got right now other than to make it smaller if they can (though it doesn't seem to need to get too much smaller). The controller itself is also significantly smaller than I expected. In the photos it looked to really be the size of a full TV remote, but really it's somewhere in between an iPod nano and a TV remote. It's sized far more reasonably than I thought for things like dropping the controller into a wavebird-style shell or that sort of thing.

The controller is exactly the length of a normal ballpoint pen. The attachment for the nunchuck thing adds another 2 to 3 cm. Maybe that gives some idea.

Phantom Hourglass seems very nice, I'm still a little puzzled about the controls: will it be "Zeldaish" enough? We'll see.

MegaDrive and Pc-Engine games on Revolution sounds very logical and interesting. Yet, they really don't detail which type of games will be available, here's hoping we'll get something else than Sonic and Bomberman.

One thing I've not been able to understand about the Revolution is how the b and a buttons are comfortably pressed during play.

One thing I've not been able to understand about the Revolution is how the b and a buttons are comfortably pressed during play.

Turn it sideways and hold it NES controller style, and then you can press the B and, er, O, buttons normally. I don't think it's designed so that you can alternate between the A and B easily; they're just there for entirely different purposes. Although it's hard to say what and how until you see some actual games making use of them.

In my opinion it's still lacking Master System support.

But hey, it's still possible to see it sometime in the future.

I want to see some support for the Saturn in there. After playing Panzer Dragoon Orta and the included port of the original Panzer Dragoon, I needs to play Zwei and that RPG that I've forgotten the name of. Also, never did play Nights into Dreams, but always wanted to.