Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

Sid Meier

...Civilization IV: Warlords, Sid Meier's Railroads!...

I like Sid Meier's games and all, but when was the last time he made an actual original game?

I'm hoping that with FireFly Studios working on CivCity: Rome and PopTop getting merged into Firaxis, those studios will be able to take over some of the sequel work allowing Sid & co to work on something new.

I agree that Firaxis is long overdue for something new.

I think his last purely Sid 'brainchild' was Sid Meier's Simgolf. Its actually a really fun game - and it shows what it is that Sid actually is good at, take some quite simple idea and make a really enjoyable game out of it. If you look at his original creations: Pirates!, Colonization, Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, Covert Action they are of this type. (= Be a Pirate, Colonize America, Be a railroad-baron, be a secret agent etc).

But you are right - more original creations Sid - wish they worked a bit like some bits of the movie-industry (do a blockbuster run-of-the-mill instant succes movie, - then do crazy original creative nobody-sees-it movie). So we could have all the sequels and then sometimes a special gem (not that I think that there is something wrong with the sequels coming out of Firaxis - I love the Civ-games).

Alpha Centauri was not created by Sid, but was the brain-child of Bryan Reynolds (I think?), who moved on to creating Big Huge Games and their Rise of Nations franchise. Alpha Centauri is one of my all time favourite strategy-games so I'm sad that Rise of Nations really didn't do anything for me.

Some years ago Sid was working on some kind of Dinosaurs game - but it was sacked due to lacking 'funness' (remember Sid basically developes games by prototyping the hell out of an idea).

Hes not doing anything terribly original but as long as the games are fun Im good. Civ 4 was excellent and Pirates was great.

I'd like a new Railroad Tycoon, that doesn't look as shit as the last version did. Is it too much to ask ? :shifty:

I'd like a new Railroad Tycoon, that doesn't look as shit as the last version did. Is it too much to ask ? :shifty:

Locomotion wasn't too bad

Well, I'd rather have the game focus on trains, for some reason. Even though this new Railroads!-thing looks a bit dated, it'll have to do.

205829_full.jpg

Perfect example of why you don't show screenshots of your new game right off the bat.

I didn't really think the new Pirates was all that great. I played it for about a week and got bored with it. I don't know, it seemed more repetitive than the original. Maybe it was because of those cutscenes they were always re-using.

The new Pirates was a bit so-so. Some aspects were great, most of the mini-games were not. I'll agree about getting bored somewhat quickly, but I'll attribute that to the mini-games too.

Yeah Civ 4 is great. Best in series. Fuck the haters! (Haters include me 1 year ago. ;()

The new Pirates sucked! I completed the whole damned thing 100%, everything, on the second hardest level (the hardest level is the "joke" hard level from the first game, apparently, which some people liked) on my FIRST GO! (Yes, my first ever go! Everything! Every hidden treasure, every pirate killed, every family member saved. Everything!)

There was ZERO challenge to that game, just repetitive (and stupidly easy) sub-games interspersed with mind-numbing boring sailing - "Ooh, I need to be on the other side of the Carribean - again. And the wind is against me - again."

The atmosphere was brilliant, though, and it looked beautiful. It was more of a "fun" no-brainer game (with, like I said, zero challenge) and if the sailing parts weren't so goddamn s..........l...........o.............w........... then I'd probably play it again when I wanted to chill a bit.

The ingenius thing about Civ is that there's always something to do. Just when you've done that one thing, then you need to do that, and oh, this too and then this needs doing... and it's just endless little tasks and they're all fun and not boring or repetitive. This is what Pirates missed. There was nothing to do at 90% of the Ports you visited, and you ended up just chasing one particular baddie around the map in ...slow motion..., with not much else to do. If you did stop to try and do anything else then the baddie you were pursuing with soon be on the other side of the map again!

Sorry, been wanting to say all that for ages! :)

Civ4 is good! Although I have been seduced away from it by a Rome Total War mod (Roman units and commanders give their orders in Latin! I am in ancient warfare dork heaven!).

SMAC was not really a Sid Meier's project though, I believe that Brian Reynolds did most of the design for Civ2, Colonisation, and SMAC?

I want a new SMAC! I'd really really like a game that focussed on futuristic infrastructure repair, and made more of a deal about the reascent to space.

Something involving the consolidation of the planet into one, or at worst a few, polities and then colonisation of the system would make a neat game - that "scale" seems underused to me, it's all either one planet or interstellar.

Hey, so, uh, anyone playing Civilization Revolutions? I've been playing DS version over the last few weeks and despite a few problems it's as thoroughly engrossing as any PC version. And that's saying a lot for the DS. I'd love to play an online game, but I don't have wifi here so that sucks :(

But yes, this is still a relatively new release in Euroland (two weeks ago -- now I know your pain, Euro gamers) so it can be easily found in stores. Do pick it up. Quite good :tup:

Independence from British fuckers :P

That was just an excuse to be free of royal taxes and so make more money from trading :D