Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Galactic Civilisations II

Anyone heard lof and/or played Galactic Civilisations II?

I'm thinking of buying it but I'm not entirely sure yet. gamespot gives it a 9.0 and calls it "The true successor to Master of Orion." Which is quite the claim. If it's true then It will be worth my money, BUt I need some more convincing.

Anyone? :)

Everyone on shacknews seems to like it, plus they pissed of Starforce who posted a torrent of the game on their forums (and later took it down and apologized)

I picked it up for £20, which is about what it's worth at the moment - some bits of it are great, some bits of it are pretty unprofessional. From reading around others' comments, I think you're more likely to enjoy it if you're the "Cool I have spaceships and planets and things" type (like me!) than the type who wants to know every single number in the game and how it affects your chances of winning. I've seen some of the latter types call the game "fundamentally broken", make of that what you will. I think an upcoming patch is supposed to sort a lot of those issues though.

Oh, I'm having great fun with it by the way!

This game is selling very well. It's #1 at EBGames and it's been sold out at every BestBuy in my area. I'd love to attribute this to gameplay, but we all know that quality has got nothing to do with sales. I never expected a turn based 4X game with shoddy graphics would gain this much attention.

Is it because Penny Arcade praised it?

Or because it has "civilization" in its title?

Or maybe to spite StarForce?

Its a good game, and its fun to play. Its not worth buying if you have Civ 4 which is pretty much the same game with a different setting. If you don't have Civ 4 then you should get it.

I think it's been riding the hype from the Starforce thing for a little while, but it does seem like a fun enough game and I'll probably get it.

This game is selling very well. It's #1 at EBGames and it's been sold out at every BestBuy in my area. I'd love to attribute this to gameplay, but we all know that quality has got nothing to do with sales. I never expected a turn based 4X game with shoddy graphics would gain this much attention.

Is it because Penny Arcade praised it?

Or because it has "civilization" in its title?

Or maybe to spite StarForce?

It was selling well before PA praised it, and either way, they don't have enough pull to push a game to the top of the charts.

The whole starforce fiasco came out after it was already selling well.

I think it's just the simple matter of a good game slowly getting support and interest. The first game came out around the time the original, more hyped, MOO3 came out. Back then, GC was praised for being everything that MOO3 wasn't. Word of mouth arose. The game sold. Nothing drastic, but it was selling consistently over the months and it garnered a substantial following that was there for the sequel.

It's just a good game with a decent following and it's nice to see a title like that succeed for once.

I just got it, and it seems to be an unofficial sequel to Master of Orion II. There are a few things that seem to almost directly reference MOO2, like the Galactic New Network announcing all your technologies and things like that. Since MOO3 was awful, it's as if Stardock went "Hey, we wanted that game to be good, too...let's make our GC sequel the true Master of Orion!"

Some grognardy wargaming types like it because apparently the AI is not that bad - I can't speak about it myself having not played it, but I am pretty curious.

I'm personally hanging out for Space Empires V via Steam.

I am a horrible, horrible person, but necro it is.

If you like Tom Francis (a bloke what journalizes [wait, that's not a typo, but "butyric acid" is? fuck you, Chrome] for PCG), who has recently been doing A Great Stonking MineCraft Diary/Experiment, you may enjoy;

Triumph of the Intergalactic Space Rabbits. . .OF DEATH

and

The Second Triumph Of The Intergalactic Space Rabbits

which finishes here, in

TOTISR: Star Fucker Prime

Good reads. The site is a bit wonky currently, but still worth your time and effort.

(I remain a horrible person for necro'ing an '06 thread.)

Edited by Orvidos