Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

Sequel-itis at IGN

http://games.ign.com/articles/694/694793p1.html

I'm right in the middle of listening to it right now, and it's not too bad. Naturally they talk about Psychonauts a good bit. It's interesting, I was talking an employee who I like at my local ebgames, and he was saying that Psychonauts has actually been selling pretty consistently there. He said that most games will completely disappear after the first couple of months, but that they've continued to keep Psychonauts in stock. Now, I'm sure that Psychonauts's sales weren't amazing, but I can't help but wonder if they were all that terrible. At least it looks like it still has a chance to become a sleeper-hit like Grim.

After I bought Psychonauts it seems the guy who handled the purchase got interested and has been promoting it to suitable customers. Last time I was there he said they'd sold quite a few actually.

A few more anecdotes like this and we'll have proven that it was a massive success! But yeah, I really think it'll get an above average performance as it ages.

Yeah, Psychonauts seems like it's actually doing alright, it just took a while for everyone to notice it. On shacknews, there's a few posts every once in a while with someone saying that they just bought the game (same thing goes for Shadow of the Colossus actually). It's probably selling because of word of mouth, because its advertising campaign sure didn't seem to help at all.

I have a feeling that a Beyond Good and Evil sequel would actually do alright now that quite a few people have heard about the original and picked it up in the bargain bins.

podcast!?

I rather have text so I can skip past boring parts.

I know virtually nothing about the business side of the game industry, but...

I have a feeling that the game development companies don't make a penny out of games sold in bargain bins. If they do, why are they so damn expensive to begin with? Because of short shelf-life? I don't buy it.

It would seem to me that it would be the store's loss and not the developer or publisher's loss on bargin bin games. Don't stores buy games from them in the first place, and then mark them up as they see fit?

Last time I was in EB, the guy said something to me regarding the fact that I play all of "those weird games." For some reason, weird to him included guitar hero, but I'll forgive him for what he told me afterwards. After I'd bought psychonauts, the guy who sold it to me (same guy, I like him) decided to check it out. Every single person who works in that store has a copy now. That really helped to explain to me why I never see it on the shelves, as the staff appear to be getting first dibs on it. Not such a failure after all...

The real bargin bins suck bigtime. It's impossible to find anything in them, so why even bother. Stuff gets put in the bargain bin because they are not sold in the first place, but the bin isn't browse friendly.