Sign in to follow this  
Karimi

The big names in gaming

I think it is unfair to remove people just because they aren't involved in computer games any more. Tolkien's domination of fantasy fiction didn't really start to happen after he was dead. Much like the Pixies weren't fully appreciated until they split up.

My vote (predictably) would be whoever came up with the visual concepts and stat upgrading on early Bitmap brother games. Every game feels the need to incorporate customisation into their games now (be it badly like EA, or in a fun way like Phantom Crash and Hunter: the reckoning). Oh yeah and the guy who devised the RTS system in Z, everyone goes on about how innovative Dawn of War was. That is only because 90% of North America never saw Z, a game released almost a decade before DOW, much less even heard of The Bitmap Brothers.

Also, I reckon Tolkien would turn in his grave if he saw how many hippies read his novels now.

Also, I reckon Tolkien would turn in his grave if he saw how many hippies read his novels now.

I'm not really adding anything here, but I think hippies were reading Lord of the Rings during his lifetime too.

My vote (predictably) would be whoever came up with the visual concepts and stat upgrading on early Bitmap brother games. Every game feels the need to incorporate customisation into their games now (be it badly like EA, or in a fun way like Phantom Crash and Hunter: the reckoning). Oh yeah and the guy who devised the RTS system in Z, everyone goes on about how innovative Dawn of War was. That is only because 90% of North America never saw Z, a game released almost a decade before DOW, much less even heard of The Bitmap Brothers.

Z was cool. But quite difficult. The movies between levels were great :)

Oh yeah and the guy who devised the RTS system in Z, everyone goes on about how innovative Dawn of War was. That is only because 90% of North America never saw Z, a game released almost a decade before DOW, much less even heard of The Bitmap Brothers.

The big diffirence between Z and Dawn Of War is that Dawn Of War makes it actually work. Z was so incredibly hard to play it wasn't funny anymore. It did have very funny cutscenes tho :)

And the bitmap brothers kick(ed?) ass indeed! :)

(their website hasnst been updates since november 2002. But someone is still paying for the site. That's a good thing, right? Right?)

Z's tactics worked it was just that the concepts were so foreign to everyone who was used to being able to sit in their little fort and build up enough resources to create a tank rush that they couldn't hack it and ran back to the safer Command and Conquer.

The game was also setup in a manner that the computer was not allowed to cheat the way it does on other conventional RTS. So it might of been hard but unless you were rubbish, the battlefield was always evenly balanced.

I have a sinking feeling that the Bitmap brothers are no more. Chaos Engine was never released for the GBA and Speedball Arena has disappeared off the radar.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that that statistic seems to be true. Every where I go in montreal, there is no sign of Speedball on the GBA. Also all the testers I talk to, at best have a vague knowledge of the name Bitmap brothers. Most just look at me blankly if I mention Gods, Chaos Engine (one guy who was into cheesey cyber punk music asked me if I meant the band), Speedball etc.