Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Children of mana

No one has mentioned it since the forums came back up, so I will.

If there was only one I game that I could buy this year, this would be it. Having to wait for it hurts and I often find myself searching through as many sites as possible whilst I'm at work, trying to find even the smallest snippet of new info.

Anyway it looks amazing, back to the style of secret of mana but with extra stuff. And wireless multiplayer - oh joy :woohoo:

I want it so badly :(

When I'm 90 years old and looking back, playing Children of Mana will stand out as one of the defining moments in my life. Probably.

Actually I never thought to ask... can you play over Wifi? did I hear something like that?

[ignorant]

What is this "children of Mana" you're ranting about? And why do you two seem to want it's kids? What platform is it for? What kind of game is it? :blink:

[/ignorant]

Sorry my bad.

Children of mana is the next in the series of mana games and it's on the DS. Secret of mana (or Seiken Densetsu 2 in Japan) was a hugely popular game by Squaresoft for the SNES and was kind of the alternative root to Final Fantasy. Seiken Densetsu 3 was also brilliant but never made it out of Japan.

All the other mana games that they made after were pretty rubbish from what I've heard but Children of mana goes back to the original style of the SNES games which is what I think pretty much all of the fans wanted.

It's an RPG, you go around smatting stuff up hack and slash style, get better weapons and armour etc and get magic. In the Secret of Mana there were 3 characters - Fighter, Offensive magic user and Healer basically and you could play it 3 player if you had a multitap. The story line is usually something along the lines of 'The mana tree is in trouble, you're the chosen one so go find the sword of mana and kill all the mad evil you encounter to save the day whilst lots of other stuff happens along the way.'

One of the great features was the circular menu thingy (dunno exactly what it was called) were the game would pause and a circular meny would pop up and you could select your magic or to use an item etc. It worked really well and kept the gameplay fast and flowing.

Anyway Children of mana looks amazing and it was released in Japan along with the DS Lite, now we just need to wait for them to release a localised version in the US so I can import it here to the UK :)

And Yufster, I don't think you can play it Wi-Fi unfortunately. But I might be wrong.

It doesn't matter since I won't need to play it wifi... although in a way it would be awesome to lie in bed on sunday afternoon and play... obviously you are not invited into the bed to play CoM with me... and it would be unfair to make you sit in the living room on your own...

I'm gonna start stockpiling beer and beef jerky next week :D (this is an exaggeration)

Anybody else planning on playing this? Have you picked your two other players yet? Chosen your characters? Booked time off work?

Hm nick, there's a fourth playable character apparently... can you have four players though? I can't find out for sure.

Hm nick, there's a fourth playable character apparently... can you have four players though? I can't find out for sure.

You can have 4 players yeah.

yay secret of mana is one of my alltime favorite snes games right along side super metroid. I never did manage to play it with friends because I never had any... but the game was huge fun in singleplayer as well! I don't think I ever got all weapons up to level 8 (or was it 9?)

So I will finally have to get a DS... and multiplayer shouldn't be a problem, can't you use tunnelling for that?

I'll probably have to make all of my friends go out and buy a DS for this, Tetris, and the New Super Mario Bros. Is the DS lite going to come out before or after this?

I'm buying this during summer when I get some money from work after the UK trip.

Also I need to buy about seven other DS games, hmmmM...

Why wasn't Seiken Densetsu 3 for SNES ever released in Europe/US? I've played the translated emulator version of that game and it ROCKS.

I don't remember, it was like 4-5 years ago when I got it from somewhere.

I'll have to ask a friend who told me back then where to get it.

Gah add another game to my massive DS backlog.

The moment the Lite comes out I am going to be dead under a pile of games.

RE Secret of Mana : You never could maximise the levels of ALL the weapons as there weren't enough of those orb things due to a damned BUG! Still the maxxed out spells were win! GO GO Fireballs that become dragons at top level >_<

where can you get that?

I still have it on my Xbox, I will upload it when I get home from work and PM you the link ;)

I hadn't really given this game any though before, but now it looks like I might get it.

Thanks forums! :tup:

Does anyone know a proper release date for it though?

So far there is no actual confirmation that it will be released outside of japan, but it clearly will... just later, after they translate 400,000,000 lines of text into english.

HURRY UP!!

RE Secret of Mana : You never could maximise the levels of ALL the weapons as there weren't enough of those orb things due to a damned BUG! Still the maxxed out spells were win! GO GO Fireballs that become dragons at top level >_<

Are you sure about that? It was rare, but if you fought in the final dungeon a lot, you'd sometimes get an Orb drop. I can't remember what my stats were, but I think all my characters were level 99 and most of my weapons were level 9. I had more time on my hands back then... great game though.