Sign in to follow this  
nsps

Just how awesome is the DS Lite?

All of Nintendo's portables have always been region free, their reasoning being they want you to be able to play it anywhere and region locking would restrict that somewhat..... so yeah all the slots are region free :D

hooray!

To answer your question adfegg, my old and clunk DS has been, uhhh... overloved. I've played it so much that I've fucked up the touch screen. It's still under waranty, but I've been DS-less for about a month now as Best Buy is taking their sweet time in processing it. When I finally DO get my fixed/replaced old-style DS, the lite will probably already have been here for weeks. Thus, my younger sister shall be graced with a brand new (or at least competently restored) DS of her very own. Which is good as she tries to play mine whenever she's visiting my place. Gotta nerd the youngins up somehow, and I'm slowly converting my sister into a nintendo freak. She loves her cube, plays her SP frequently, and will soon have a DS. She's gonna make some nerd very happy one day, and I can feel satisfied that I have done my brotherly role-model duty.

So what's everyone doing, or done, with their old, ugly, obsolete, clumsy DS once the new one gets there?

Me? I could let my brother have it, if he wants, or I could give it to the horrors(that's Stephanie and Neil, my cousins who had a go at Wario Touched and were hooked), or I could just trade it in at Gamestation.

You could send it to me.:grin:

My mom's just now making a beautiful and customized 'clunky' DS pouch for me. Surely I don't want her to make a new one for the Lite already in a few months?

Impressive, and very cool that your gaming is so supported by the family. I still get weird looks from non-gaming relatives. My older sister was wary of me babysitting my nephews because I "play that Grand Theft Auto game." Bah, soccer moms in the family, what can you do but try to educate them?

To anyone that has a lite already and resides in North America: From some of the things I've been reading online, it seems like other North American gamers are simply plugging their lites into regular wall sockets. Does that work, or am I much safer just using the USB thing? I'm running out of free USB slots and would hate to use up an extra one needlessly. Thanks.

Impressive, and very cool that your gaming is so supported by the family.

I don't have any brothers, sisters, uncles or aunts so my mother was the only relative who I shared my games with when I was a kid. Back in those days, I was sharing the Gameboy and the Sega Megadrive with her.

Still today, she likes playing old platformers. Funny thing I noticed is she doesn't like modern titles because of the 3D and all : she finds the camera moves confusing. 2D fan, retro gaming mom ! :woohoo:

Now, why am I telling all this ? Because my purchase of the DS Lite being the first of a console since, well, the Megadrive actually, I really have to weigh it and I know she will be interested in using it. She has never caught on the PC.

And so, that ensures me financial support from her in the purchase. Isn't that love ? :kiss: Her birthday is next week, but I'll have to wait for the european release.

Every info I'm gathering, including in this very thread;) , just convince me more and more this piece of hardware is awesome.

my old and clunk DS has been, uhhh... overloved. I've played it so much that I've fucked up the touch screen.

:innocent: you naughty boy !

Miffy the Power Adapter info I was talking about was all for Euro users only, America and Japan use the same voltage so there's no issue with the plugs there :)

Yay indeed! I have no idea what voltages etc Japan uses so this is happy news for me. Plus, I get a USB charger anyway in case I ever go to Europe and/or just want to have everything plugged into my PC at once.

Yay indeed! I have no idea what voltages etc Japan uses so this is happy news for me. Plus, I get a USB charger anyway in case I ever go to Europe and/or just want to have everything plugged into my PC at once.

Both the US and Japan are at 110V to 127V I believe, but perhaps that wasn't what you were asking. Maybe you just learned something, while trying to read about games... the horror...

We need a ghost smiley or something.

We need a ghost smiley or something.

Too late. You can just imagine me screaming if you want to though.

I gotta see if I can get mine repaired or something. Awesome as the Lite is, this clunky sonofabitch has a special place in my heart. The fact that the paint has worn through the paint on pretty much every edge on the thing is merely a sign of much love. Though I will get the lite, this sucker is going to be framed or something as the first step in a long tradition of awesome.

ahhhhhhhh!!! that's just how i feel :)

clunky... chunky.... oh i'm in love with my DS every which way

Yes. Though I've had to change my mind since ol' clunky exploded. (metaphorically speaking, of course) Now this impending replacement version of clunky has no sentimental value for me, and I've already mourned clunky properly, so clunky 2: the reclunkening shall be passed on to the next in the line of family geeks.

My DS lite is nearly here!!:woohoo: It left Hong Kong at 4:21 in the morning(8:21 last night, in the UK), reached Germany at 7:26pm today(6:26pm). It's bound for London, so it will probably arrive there tomorrow. If I'm lucky, it might get up here on the same day! I'm so excited!:grin:

Mine as well! Although the company that shipped the package doesn't seem to believe in allowing the delivery guy to leave it at the post office if I'm not here to get it. They delivered it this morning, but as a result of that I won't be getting my hands on it until Monday. If only I'd been home at 11:40 instead of noon. Crapdammit.

Exactly where I happen to be! Time to go and stake out the Scotland-bound roads and do a bit of hijacking.

Hmph! Should have expected this, the package was getting cleared through customs in the East Midlands - it took about ten hours - it's currently in London.

EDIT: Oooh! - It's with a delivery courier!

:woohoo: It's here! Waiting for me when I got home from work! Can you believe it? - My brother couldn't see any difference between the two versions, seriously.:eek:

Anyway, how do you transfer your profile across? I've heard it's as easy as sending a demo but I must be missing something, because I'm trying with Meteos and I'm not seeing it.

To answer your question, I present the guy's third video:

http://www.cabel.name/2006/04/nintendo-ds-lite-third-look.html

Apparently you go into wifi options in the DS menu. (I think that game info is saved in the cart.)

This video also covers battery life, the US power adapter and region-restriction questions that were already answered here, and features comparisons with the GBA micro, a turkey sandwich and the PSP. (Note that the PSP's screen seems to reflect a lot more when straight on—glad to see that the DS lite isn't as over glossy.)

You'll notice that this is part three of the series, which can only mean one thing...

I'm a horrible thread creator and missed part two:

http://www.cabel.name/2006/03/nintendo-ds-lite-second-look.html

This video covers the protruding-GBA-cartridge issue, thickness, and how to best hold the machine. It also shows the DS brightness at different angles, in response to some questions about the previous preview.

And as long as I'm plugging this dude's page, here's a short review of the DS download stations:

http://www.cabel.name/2006/04/inside-ds-download-station.html

It's here! YAY!!!!!! I've been messing around with stuff, making sure that it plays multiplay with systems from other regions (me on my DS lite and my roommate on my old DS playing Mario Kart) and other such things. I have to say that after playing Advance Wars on the Lite and then on the SP, the SP looks like it's in black and white. Sooooooo much nicer. Only a couple of concerns so far:

1. If, like me, you have large thumbs, be warned that the buttons are now closer together. This has resulted in me accidentally applying the break while trying to drive and drag a shell behind me in Mario Kart. They're just a little bit too close for my liking at the moment, but I'll adapt.

2. The buttons have a bit more give to them. While this means that it actually feels more comfortable to use, you don't get as definite a click anymore to confirm that you have indeed pressed a button. A little disorienting.

3. THEY TOOK AWAY THE GODDAMNED THUMB COVER ON THE WRISTBAND!!! Why why why why WHY would they do that? I was looking forward to playing Hunters using the touch screen to aim, but without the nub I need to use the stylus or just the buttons and I find both prospects fairly distasteful. Shame on you ninty. Now I need to try and find a way to buy a separate wristband that has a thumb nub on it. :finger:

Overall, happy. Except for the lack of nub. Still, I haven't bought Hunters yet, so maybe I'll give it a shot without and see how it works. There you have it!

I just importicated one from the Japanese Country, and now I'm reading all sorts of stuff about defective units and faulty pixels and loose batteries. Anyone here have problems with theirs? I guess if my imported unit's broken I'll have to deal with Japanese customer service. Aren't those guys ninjas?

Haven't had a problem. Actually it feels a lot more solid than my old DS. I used to be able to slide the top screen back and forth a bit during long waits between gameplay. None of that anymore. Battery is fine, although there seem to be little plastic burs or something where the screws go in that are a bit scratchy if you're not expecting them.

And yes. Japanese tech support is full of ninjas. Ninjas with PHONES.

And yes. Japanese tech support is full of ninjas. Ninjas with PHONES.

Those guys are the worst.