Sign in to follow this  
nsps

Just how awesome is the DS Lite?

oooooh! Che Wavera! I like. Some girl handing out Greenpeace fliers and uni the other day called it Wario Guevera, but mostly I just enjoy the looks I get from people who know that there is SOMETHING wrong with my shirt but can't figure out what the hell it is.

As for the GBA games looking preposterous on it, praytell why? I can't wait to get my castlevania on on that thing, as the game is too damn dark for even the SP's mighty frontlit screen.

As for the GBA games looking preposterous on it, praytell why?

The machine is too small to house a Gameboy Advance cartridge, so it sticks out perhaps a centimeter or so.

Ah, physically. I thought you meant on the screen. Yes, I'm also a bit iffy about how the rumble pack will look when I'm playing games that use it. oh well, not like it'll look THAT different from the warioware twisted pack.

Lovely though it may be, there's no way my poor student budget'll stretch to a slightly cuter version of something I already have. So it's a black casemod and phoenix wright for me, the lil' fella can wait a while :yep:

Ok. I'm looking for some advice. I live in the UK and I'm thinking about importing a DS lite. I know that it's compatible with all games, but is there anything else I should know about getting it? Will I need some kind of adaptor for the power supply, for instance? Anything relevant, please, I'd like to walk into this with my eyes open.

You'll need a step down power converter which should set you back somewhere in the region of £20. You can get them from many places, but I'm afraid I have never bought one so have no recommendations....

Aside from that you'll be good to go :)

The charger for the DS Lite is different to the original DS, and there is also no USB charger in the box.

However I have just found out that both Liksang and PlayAsia are selling UK / Euro power adapters for the DS Lite and also a USB charger, so THAT would be by far the best option for you :D

(and I'm beginning to get tempted....)

I'm confused. This converter, is it to convert the voltage or the type of plug? What shape of plug do Japanese appliances have anyway?

The converter I was talking about was for converting the Voltage, as the japanese power sockets use a higher voltage than ours.

However I recommend getting this instead as it is much cheaper and less obtrusive! (or get a USB charger, but be sure you are getting one for the Lite and not the original DS)

LJ

P.S. as a result of this thread I have now bought myself a DS Lite, so.... thanks :D

How'd you manage to get ahold of one? I thought there was a severe run on them. I'd kind of given up hope for the next year or so.

Right. Fucking. On. Today's payday too. Once I see my cheque, I may just purchase. *giddy with excitement*

Kind of off-topic, but still DS related: When you save a game, is it saved on the machine or the gamecard?

Kind of off-topic, but still DS related: When you save a game, is it saved on the machine or the gamecard?

Gamecard.

OK, I'm pretty sure I'm getting one. Appartenly if you're in Europe you'll need a step-down converter, but I am in Canada. Does anyone know what kind of adapters I'll need to get? (if any) I have no idea about voltages (although liksang says 110, so I think I can trust that) or plug types in Japan. Thanks.

EDIT: Bah screw it. I added one of those USB chargers to my order. Damn. That was like a whole paycheque gone in an instant. Thank god for scholarship money that I can fall back on for food. Besides, who needs food when I've got an enamel blue DS lite on its way to my house?

I've just had a thought. This region-free goodness of the DS lite, does it extend to GBA games?

I've just had a thought. This region-free goodness of the DS lite, does it extend to GBA games?

I'm next-to-positive it does, seeing as the GBA was region-free too.

SiN

Wow, I should get a cut from Nintendo for all the people buying DS Lites due solely :deranged::shifty: (OK, maybe not) to my thread. I just wanted to show off how badass it looked in the video.

I'm gonna wait until they release it in the US, because I'm low on cash now. But those who ordered should post when they get it and let me know if it is indeed awesome.

Hope you can read Japanese!

I've actually been taking a course for a while (read: finished my first university course in it, starting the second in mid-may for the spring term.) now, but the language is switchable with approximately 5 taps on the touchscreen, so I don't think I'll have a problem. Stupid Easter weekend, I want them to ship the damn thing soon. Oh well.

That GBA thing is a good point. I hadn't thought about that. Was the GBA really region free too? I've never had cause to import for it. If not, I've still got my SP, which has lasted me this long and doesn't seem likely to give out soon. Maybe this is how they expect people to buy a micro. "Well, you can't use your imported lite, so I guess you'd better grab one of our new GBAs to make up for it..."

So what's everyone doing, or done, with their old, ugly, obsolete, clumsy DS once the new one gets there?

Me? I could let my brother have it, if he wants, or I could give it to the horrors(that's Stephanie and Neil, my cousins who had a go at Wario Touched and were hooked), or I could just trade it in at Gamestation.