Marek

Battlestar Galactica season 2 finale

If I buy the first episode of the first season from the iTunes store I don't have to watch it on an iPod, do I? Stupid question probably, but I've never done it before nor do I own an iPod.

Yeah, I was just about to ask about that. I was confused. Thanks.

[edit]bah. The bastards want me to pay $15 to download the whole thing. That's not going to happen.

You can watch it in iTunes but you'll get a pretty crappy resolution. There's a DVD box with the miniseries and the first season for not that much money.

I just borrowed the box set from a friend, but still haven't had the free time to watch any of it. I wrote my last exam from the current rush today and have the weekend to myself, so that may end up being how I waste my time.

I watched the pilot and the first episode from season one... it was ok. I wasn't so captivated by it that that I'd run out and buy the first season, but I might check it out from netflix this summer if I'm looking for something to watch. Probably my favorite thing about it was Gaius. He's awesome and his hallucinations are great.

I watched the pilot and the first episode from season one... it was ok. I wasn't so captivated by it that that I'd run out and buy the first season, but I might check it out from netflix this summer if I'm looking for something to watch. Probably my favorite thing about it was Gaius. He's awesome and his hallucinations are great.

Honestly those were my exact feelings after watching the miniseries. I think it does get a lot better.

The first season is a notable improvement over the miniseries and the second season is mostly still superior to the first.

I SPOKE TO FUCKING RON D. MOORE AT GDC (and also his wonderful wife). He's a super cool guy!

Season 3 spoilers (one super minor, one medium spoiler regarding the Cylons):

Jamie Bamber won't have to put on the fat-face makeup all season as Apollo will gradually get back into shape. Also the Cylons will face some tough internal politics as the lower-level Cylons threaten to rise up against the humanoid models.

The first season is a notable improvement over the miniseries and the second season is mostly still superior to the first.

That's interesting to hear. My friend, who just lent me the mini series pilot thingy (which I've yet to watch), told me that I might just want to stop watching after the mini-series, as it goes downhill from there. He said that the cliffhanger at the end of season one was so uninteresting that he hadn't even brought himself to watch it yet. I guess I'll have to decide for myself, but he advised me that I may just want to imagine what happens after the pilot.

That may have to change, however, after spending a few days at the GDC getting to know the people in the gaming business. I was impressed, first of all, by the sheer brainpower which permeated the event and second of all with the maturity and seriousness of the business itself. To put it succinctly: these are seriously smart people, doing seriously smart things with a deadly seriousness of purpose. When I walked the convention floor, I was struck by the intensity of the attendees as they browsed through the various booths and displays. I'm told the event itself had discouraged the "babe booth" mentality long ago wherein scantily-clad women beckoned to the hormonally-challenged, and sadly, I saw no such relics from this storied past. Instead, I found a lot of intense concentration and discussion of the latest software applications and character-building tools, upwards of ninety-five percent of which went sailing over my head.

I was impressed with the the fact that this business was maturing right before my eyes and it was filled with people who wanted to push the bounds of their medium into new and exciting frontiers. It was especially interesting to contrast the conversations I had with people in the gaming industry with the typical conversation with people in my own industry. My industry tends toward the narcissistic, finding new and exciting ways to be in love with itself and its own hype, sometimes to the point of being in love with being in love with itself. At the GDC, I found an almost uniformly skeptical and critical attitude toward the gaming business; a sense that they hadn't figured everything out yet, that anything you might like about games today was probably going to be obsolete very soon and a frustration level with the shortcomings and limitations of both the business model and the creative results. For a business whose rise to billion-dollar status has been nothing if not meteoric, it was refreshing to see that the key movers and thinkers were restless and eager to move on, to find the next great idea and push the boundaries of the business to the next level.

He's so naive.

His opinion is flattering to the game industry but not surprising. Going to GDC is like living in a bubble for a week. A bubble in which games are awesome. And in which you feel empowered and inspired.

Let's make sure Ron never goes to E3. He'll be devastated.

So then the responsability of the ego falls to the journalists? Having to balance morality and riteousness with sheer pandering to the biological impulses? I'm not sure if that prospect is all that comforting...

'CAPRICA'

From executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick ('Battlestar Galactica'), writer Remi Aubuchon ('24') and NBC Universal Television Studio, this new series is set over a half a century before the events that play out in 'Battlestar Galactica.' The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high-technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better. But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot - a Cylon. Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the 'Battlestar Galactica') 'Caprica' weaves corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20060426scifi02

what what

More details here: http://www.gateworld.net/galactica/index.shtml

It's in very early development so word is that if it gets picked up it won't air until BSG is in season 4 or maybe even 5.

It sounds like an awesome idea for a series, as long as they steer clear of involving BSG characters (or their ancestors) outside of the Adama family.

By the way, this is from the original draft of the miniseries script.

The Cylons were created by Man. They were the product of a desire to make life easier on the planet Kobol. At first, they were simple robots. Toys. Conversation pieces at parties for the rich and trendy.

The Cylons became more advanced. Began to work the mines. Do the hard and dangerous work Man no longer wished to do. And when the people of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol decided to war against each other, the Cylons began to do their fighting and killing for them too. The Cylons were the greatest soldiers the planet had ever seen. Smart. Fast. Deadly. They made decisions without waiting for orders.

And then the day came when the Cylons decided to kill their masters.

When I first read that I was glad the VO intro got cut, but I loved the line "conversation pieces at parties for the rich and trendy". It gives some idea of what Caprica might be about, especially considering Adama's father was a lawyer.

wow. I just finished the eighth episode of the first season. I absolutely love this show now. It's so good. Gaius. I love Gaius. He has to be one of the greatest tv characters ever. I just can't get enough of him. Damn you, Netflix! Bring me the last two dvds!

So, yeah, if you have never watched the show, do yourself a favor and check it out. Don't be put off by the rather uninteresting pilot. The rest of the show is completely different and much much better.