Marek

Battlestar Galactica season 2 finale

So part one aired on Friday. What did you guys think?

I'm actually a bit conflicted about the episode. The teaser is awesome, as per usual. The guitar music they used for the beginning is also great (the same goes for the music they used at the start of "Pegasus" actually, although it was a bit of a jarring departure from the usual themes). Anyway I was drawn in from the start.

But the rest of the episode felt kind of clunky, like the different threads didn't really work together. Tyrol's suicide story was pretty distracting. It could have been a great stand-alone episode instead of a B-story for a season finale.

I guess we'll find out where this leads next week. Ron Moore said that he'd made a huge gamble with Part 2 that will fundamentally change the show and leave fans divided. I know he's not just teasing around when he says that, so I'm a little nervous about what will happen. :erm::sad:

I really liked it. The guitar music in the beginning was great. There were many pointless episodes before episode 18, but it seems the show has picked up again.

Yeah, I thought it was alright. The teaser was really nice (with the exception of Tyrol's Angry Face) but the rest of the episode felt like it was all just set-up for a more interesting episode; just laying all the exposition out there so the next episode can be dramatic and season finale-ish. It's one of those two-parters which would probably work better as a two-hour episode. I sort of agree about the suicide plot, I guess it's just one more thing which will pay off in the next ep, otherwise what's the point.

Also it was really surprising to see that the characters and the show were actually being funny and happy a little bit, which was a welcome change from a season which has been almost ridiculously straight-faced and dour.

I really don't know if I liked this season that much, it seemed wildly uneven, which I think may be the result of plotting out a 20-episode season rather than a 13-episode long one. I thought the last stretch of episodes (before Downloaded) were all pretty bad. I am looking forward to the next episode a lot though.

Yeah totally agreed. The first half of season 2 I thought was great. But the episodes after the resurrection ship trilogy were really mediocre. It wasn't unwatchable or anything, just far from the usual standard, and sometimes quite a bit disappointing.

Moore said they had a lot of difficulties adjusting to a 20 episode season and he pretty much dragged himself through the mud for the episode Black Market, so I'm hoping they'll have a more consistent season 3.

The thing that made Tyrol's story alright for me was Dean Stockwell. I'm hoping he's a Cylon just so we can have him around for a long time (and RDM's podcast made me think he is. "Umm... I guess I can't talk about Cavil much until Part II. He's a priest. Yep.")

I agree with basically everything that's been said here (which is rather depressing, really. Not very interesting at all.)

I'd like to add one more bad thing about Part I: no Cottle. Luckily, we'll be getting some in Part II.

Heh so now they're just adding more popular actors to their ensemble of Cylon models? Patrick Stewart would make a nice Number Four.

Heh so now they're just adding more popular actors to their ensemble of Cylon models? Patrick Stewart would make a nice Number Four.

Is Stockwell really a popular actor, though? Apart from Quantum Leap, I can't think of any real starring roles he's had.

Balls the size of planets.

I fully expected the election and settlement issues to play out like they did, but what they did at the end was just ... wow. I need a couple of days before I can really start to love what they've done, if that makes any sense...

I'm over the shock now and the more I think about the episode the more I love it. Holy crap.

It might not have been a trick. Possibly the Cylon politics reached a compromise where the humans wouldn't be destroyed, but strictly controlled by the Cylons (reservations).

At first I was more in awe of what the writers did than of what actually happened on the show.
Heh yes. This episode lends itself well to two viewings. First time I was just going :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: and the second time I could more enjoy the scenes themselves in a way that you normally would.

I'm in the :eek: phase on the entire series. But seriously, changing the entire premise of the show like they did is crazy awesome.

Wellll the premise hasn't changed that much. New Caprica is now essentially what Caprica was in season 1 and Kobol was in the first half of season 2 (though the events on New Caprica will clearly be more than a B-story).

BTW it's great how they used this opportunity to shuffle things around. They moved another Galactica character to Pegasus; Helo as a more visible bridge officer makes sense; Gaeta gets to be more interesting as a Baltar assistant; tortured Six gets killed (one less to worry about = less confusion and more focus); etc. I think a lot of supporting characters are in places where they have much greater potential for season 3.

Plus Adama gets a hilarious moustache. I should update my avatar.

I think I was a little bit unhappy after the show ended, and there were some things, mostly near the end, which irritated me a little -- the general pacing, the abrupt "Yikes, we're out of here, we'll be back though!", the suicide thing never went anywhere really, and I'd like it if maybe Baltar was a little less of an absurd and shitty president. But mostly, I realised, the end just bummed me out. I really didn't want it to end like that, which I guess means I like this show a lot more than I thought I did, and I'll take that. I did like this episode a lot, Stockwell was really good, there were some great scenes (Adama vs. Roslin, the Baltar/one year later transition, even the Starbuck/Lee/Anders scene a little bit, and Starbuck is by far my least favourite character on this show) and as a season finale I think it's better than Kobol's Last Gleaming in some ways... but everything after 'One Year Later' just depresses me a little.

But seriously, changing the entire premise of the show like they did is crazy awesome.

Yeah, like Marek [edit -- and redwall, oops], I don't see that so much. This is what the third season's going to be about, I really doubt they're getting away from "We're in spaceships, looking for earth".