Marek

What's the deal with Microsoft's "Project Origami"?

Seriously, what's the deal?

(And what's the deal with airplane food? And women! What's the deal with women?)

small1141033396_0.png

small1141034608_1.jpg

Video

GameSpot Rumor Control

It looks a bit huge and lame, though some of the ideas from that video are nice I guess?

According to a recent interview with Peter Moore, a final version of this thing is likely to carry the Xbox brand.

It's of course a little convenient that a 1-year old stylish proof of concept suddenly appears a week before an official announcement. I bet on March 4 they'll show a slightly slimmer and better looking version that makes everyone go "wow this actually looks smaller and nicer in comparison!!!". Hooray for stealth marketing.

It makes me cry.

I don't really see what the point of this 'handheld' is. I hope the final design is absolutely nothing like that. It's horrid.

I mean, it's basically just xbox games on an annoying small screen, and yet it's also HUGE, right? There's no innovation here... nothing interesting... it doesn't even LOOK good...

And the buttons look really evil-hard to reach for. I can imagine having aching wrists from the weight, and sore thumbs from reaching for those stupid buttons. I can't wait to see the final design.

As for women... the evil ones need to be culled, they are taking over ;(

Actually, it can also be used a as a blunt weapon so the males can defend themselves against evil women.

(What's the deal with them anyway?)

Yeah, that's ridiculously large. People said that about the Xbox too, but you weren't supposed to carry that around. I mean, both the DS and the PSP are pretty big, but I wouldn't even thinking about keeping this thing around in my bag all day, I'd break a shoulder. Perhaps both.

Well probably not, but it has a sort of "bulging" design which makes it look really heavy. It also reminds me a bit about the Game Gear... Success ahoy! :shifty:

I wonder if it will actually be able to play Xbox games, or if that's just Halo PC?

Either way, the whole game aspect of it seems pretty useless to me, though as a tiny tablet PC, it seems sort of nice.

Sort of.

If the real thing is half as ugly and clunky as the thing in the pictures, it'll still be jaw-droppingly ugly.

I'd get one. If I had the money. I hate having to disconnect all the wires on my desktop and pack everything nicely and safely everytime I move.

dude!

I just realized what it looks like...

windows media player 7, remember that old piece of shit?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwmt/html/ads1.gif :hah:

I think it's an interesting concept that obviously microsoft doesn't really know what to do with it because it's a R&D byproduct like the Xbox and the 360. It tries to look cool, but it doesn't quite do it.

That's what happens when you're a follower and not a leader, like MS.

I want to go to class, write notes down, and have my terrible handwriting turn into nicely formated 12-point Times New Roman. also, I want to feel like I'm writing on paper, not on some slick surface. is that too much to ask?

Eeeh? It looks like a Pocket PC, but as powerfull as a laptop?:erm:

It looks like a damn brick. The GCN was the smallest console, the PS2 was a decent size, and the XBox was damn huge. Now, look at the handhelds from the company. The DS can fit into a pocket if you try. The PSP is bigger, but you don't feel bad throwing it in your backpack. This thing will be used primarily by the 13 year olds who play Halo online with it to bludgeon puppies when they aren't "pwning n00bz." God, it's like the 360 had an abortion and they slapped a screen on the front and called it done.

Sorry 'bout that. Can you tell I don't like the looks of this? By the way, any MS reps, feel free to put '"LIKE THE 360 HAD AN ABORTION!!!" - Miffy495' on the box in big letters. I dare you.

It looks like a damn brick. The GCN was the smallest console, the PS2 was a decent size, and the XBox was damn huge. Now, look at the handhelds from the company. The DS can fit into a pocket if you try. The PSP is bigger, but you don't feel bad throwing it in your backpack. This thing will be used primarily by the 13 year olds who play Halo online with it to bludgeon puppies when they aren't "pwning n00bz." God, it's like the 360 had an abortion and they slapped a screen on the front and called it done.

Sorry 'bout that. Can you tell I don't like the looks of this? By the way, any MS reps, feel free to put '"LIKE THE 360 HAD AN ABORTION!!!" - Miffy495' on the box in big letters. I dare you.

A brick would be lighter, and cheaper too... :mock:

That thing will surely cost almost as much as a laptop...

Looks like they will indeed reveal a smaller version than the one shown now:

This morning, the Associated Press ran an article citing a source inside Microsoft which confirms suspicions that the Origami is merely a new line of "ultra-mobile PCs" the size of a paperback book.

I knew it.

:getmecoat

Can't a paperback book be any size, as long as it's not hardback? ¬¬

It's like a superpower, but you have to engulf your head in horse shit to use it. Kind of amusing to watch, but I'm glad I'm not the one who has to preform the act.

Can't a paperback book be any size, as long as it's not hardback? ¬¬

Oh. OH. I read that as pocketbook.

¬¬

Wow now it makes no sense at all.

I'm confused. If it's just a Portable PC, why would it be Xbox-branded?

I also doubt the usefulness of a device between the size of a laptop and a handheld. Once you sacrifice the functionality, you might as well go smaller. I'd rather have a keyboard if I'm going to do long-term work.

well, the video showed some dude with a leatherbound keyboard (???) attached to his PC, so I'd assume that they're trying to work something out for that. I can't see it being an XBox now though. Just another crappy mini-PC.

Oh. OH. I read that as pocketbook.

Can't a pocketbook be any size as long as it fits in a pocket of some size?

¬¬¬¬¬¬

Quiet you.

I suppose you won't be happy until you hear some actual dimensions! :oldman: