Nick

Sonic the Hedgehog

screens are from the Video SEGA showed behind closed doors at E3

looked fucking amazing when we saw it :)

Wow, it certainly looks spiffy. Sonic rocks, all he needs is another great game at long last. Hopefully this will be it! Thanks for the heads-up :tup:

That is fucking amazing looking.

Immediately when I saw this pic, I fell in love with this game, I sure as hell hope this Sonic ends up coming to ALL of the next gen consoles or I may never get to see this game. :shifty:

So what is the rebirth of Sonic? Did they finally kill of those stupid and utterly useless sidekick characters, like Amy and those two whatstheirnames?

I just had to put that Sonic pic to my dad's laptop as soon as possible, damn it looks sweet on this 15,4" WXGA screen.

Its all in engine at least. The demo shown at E3 faded between moments like those in the screenshots and moments that looked very similar to those screenshots in which someone was actually playing without erm well without me noticing which was which. So maybe thats a bad thing but ... it was very nice looking. :grin:

It looks nice, but it doesn't mean it's going to be any easier to make Sonic work in 3D.

Its all in engine at least. The demo shown at E3 faded between moments like those in the screenshots and moments that looked very similar to those screenshots in which someone was actually playing without erm well without me noticing which was which. So maybe thats a bad thing but ... it was very nice looking. :grin:

What??

It looks nice, but it doesn't mean it's going to be any easier to make Sonic work in 3D.

What??

Yeah. I agree with what you have just said. In the video the transitions between in-game cutscene and in-game game were very seamless and all looked pretty engaging. No clue if it will actually be fun when its a real game though.

Blah. :oldman:

yeah they were actually in engine, there wasa seamless transition between the scripted events and real time.

maybe we have the video somewhere ¬¬

Completely agree, you can't make a 3D game flow as well as the old 2D sonic games. The side scrollers where set up, as in you'd be speeding along and see an enemy appear on the screen, you'd jump, bounce off the enemy, soar over some spikes and land on the other side still speeding along.

With a 3D game it's too difficult to predict the players movement.

*cough* :shifty: enough of that.

I LIKE THE SCREENS!

Yeah, it's 'wait and see', these are just 4 screenshots.

In my earlier post, I did use an exclamation mark, the words 'spiffy' and 'rocks', and a thumbs-up smiley. But I also tempered that with 'hopefully' and 'at long last'. The implication being that it might be terrible, and Sonic games have been terrible for a while. It's kind of code for my inner fanboy and my inner cynic.

I'm sure 3D is partly to blame (cynic), but maybe they can crack it this time (fanboy).

Yeah, the GTA look isn't great, but if you think about it the (presumably) racing aspect of it fits in well with sonic's need for speed. And will probably be more faithful to Sonic in this respect. :tmeh:

The GTA look? When was GTA set in some crazy outdoor (green) hill (zone) environment?

If you mean the radial motion blur, that's not exactly a GTA exclusive way of conveying high speed, and it generally works very well (even if it looks odd in screenshots). ¬¬

Considering Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes were released for PC after the console release, I'd rather wait a little to see if they'll do the same this time as well... :erm:

Well, compared to the Sonic Adventure series, Sonic Heroes was much better at conveying a sense of speed. The game was kind of crappy, but the essential sensation of the series was starting to make a comeback. If this new game furthers this trend, I'm all for it.

I played Sonic Heroes for the first time two days ago, it was sweet. I'll probably get flamed for this but really enjoyed the gameplay and the switching idea... horror of horrors was fun and non intrusive.

Was gutted to see Tails got a thumbs down Btw... He is my favourite character. This partially because I was forced to play as him on Sonic 2.