Sign in to follow this  
Mentic

Buying a new laptop for gaming...err I mean work

Hey people,

This is my first post on these forums so be gentle :) Some of you will already know me from Brighton/Babel and I wanted to ask this question so I can continue to communicate with you when I am not leeching of my flatmates computer!

I need help in buying a laptop and I am fairly PC savy (Thanks Spaff :P) but laptops are an unknow to me. So I need help!

I have $3,000 ish to spend and I was looking at Alienwear as they appear to offer good specs

So far this is my top candidate

Nvida 6800 (256Mb), Intel® Pentium® 4 540J 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB , 1Gb of RAM and External Wireless 802.11a/b/g PCMCIA Card

Someone said that the Intel Pentium® M chipset was good for runing games, but the M 755 2.0GHz 2MB L2 Cache 400MHZ CANT be better than the one above? Can it?

The only other option I have seen so far is this which is Dell and looks nice, but again it doesnt seem top be as powerful as the 1st choice (although it does have better screen resolution-go figure)

Nothing else seems to compare.....well not that I can find!

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Cheers guys

Mentic

:)

Beware though. The Alienwares are MASSIVE and HEAVY (not very portable) and they eat through batteries faster than anything. If you plan on taking it anywhere, the Alienware sucks. If not, you'd be better off with a desktop.

I've had good luck with Toshibas, but some people tend not to like them.

Well, in addition to your listed choice, you can blow $3000 on a Acer Ferrari 4000. The features are mostly a rebranded AMD 3000+ 64, and a X700 mobile. There's not a whole lot of extras included (not even a OS disc (which is WinXPSP2)), but it's light, not bulky, and has a 3-4 hour battery life if you're just browsing and text processing. Oh, it also looks "cool", meaning sleek. Look at some pictures to decide.

I've heard that, as gaming laptops go, the Dell X2 series is pretty good and has a decent battery life. How often will you have this sucker plugged in, anyway?

<snip> How often will you have this sucker plugged in, anyway?

Most of the time, but I was going to get the lap top as I will be moving from place to place whilst I sort out my life and get a US visa!

I have looked at the Dell X2 and they only go up to a 2.13Ghz for a similar $3k price

Alienwear have now sent me a $400 off coupon...ending Monday!!!!!

How easy is it to buy extra RAM for a laptop and install anyway? similar to a desktop? Then I could find cheaper RAM and install it myself (Instead of paying them $480 for 2Gb)

Now I'm not only confused but constrained by time....Bloody marketing ploy! Bastards!

Your post, with all it's genuine :) -smilies and such, is so different from the majority of Thumb posts - the majority of Thumbers being bitchy and whiny snobs... I say you are our best member to date.

Your post, with all it's genuine :) -smilies and such, is so different from the majority of Thumb posts - the majority of Thumbers being bitchy and whiny snobs... I say you are our best member to date.

Hey what about me ? I can smile too ! :shifty: see...

Its these damn forums man , they turn you evil or something.

So what happens to the people who are already a grouchy, cynical bastards?

And I of course us the term "people" loosely.

But my brother had a Dell lappy a few years back. Battery life was decent. And I've had nothing but good laptop experiences with laptops. My dad's had a couple, I have one. Never any problems.