netmonkey

Why Games Suck:

b0b:

Interactive Fiction? Or "text adventure" if you will?

Nope, I don't recall them at all.

aaaah!

that explains everything!

Sorry.. I feel bad for yelling at you. Apologies.

Yes: Zork and the (better imho) more recent Infocom stuff like Hitchikers Guide, Stationfall, Lurking Horror etc..

Most of the old infocom stuff is great and merely a google or two away - if you'd really never heard of the entire genre (and jesus - that makes me feel older than my 25 years) then check them out.

It was just the blase "there were no games with storytelling in them before 1990" that made me insane. Almost exactly like a recent "review" I read which started with "before 1980, computer games did not exist" or somesuch other nonsense.

Sweeping statements and generalisations are usually a bad idea, unless you're very sure.

But anyway - IF rules, games rule, I love games, w00 :tup:

By the way there is a thread a little related to this in AG. It is about this article:

here

Some quotes of interest to this thread:

"Does this mean that developers self-censor, not even bothering to bring their best ideas to publishers because they know they don't have a prayer of getting sold?

You bet your ass.

There are a lot of very bright and creative people in this field - no lack of them. But business realities trump passion every time.I'm going to bring up that Scratchware Manifesto quote again:"

"An industry that was once the most innovative and exciting artistic field on the planet has become a morass of drudgery and imitation"

"

So there might be a lot of developers having ideas that go beyond an FPS, but they don't even bother with them.

Vacuum cleaners suck because they where created by engineers.

What if games where created by hookers, would they suck or blow?

A useless statement, how can you generalize in that way?

All generalisations are just wrong.

All generalisations are just wrong.

Irony! :tup:

games used to cost nothing to develop, because they could be done by one dude in his bedroom in a month or two. now they cost a fortune because they're so much more complex. hence no-one will go out on a limb with a new idea, hence no new ideas, hence there's nothing for people to buy that's new and innovative.

Give things time - and we'll have open-source build-your-own game toolkits with plugin everything - physics, art etc.. think Stunt Island, but with the power to create epic things. Second Life is already showing the way, although it doesn't work marvellously well.

Then it'll come full circle, and things will be about ideas again, instead of the rafts of same-as-last-year-but-shinier shoddiness we get these days. The era of the bedroom-coded epic will return.

Fingers crossed...

Text adventures had the best graphics. I mean the letters looked EXACTLY like real letters.

There is a great line like that about King of Dragon Pass. It has awesome resolution, but the frame-rate is about 1 every 120 seconds.