Sign in to follow this  
Karimi

Stupid

Well , a time for some catharsis.

Let me list some stupid things I believed :

When I read magazines and saw (-ed) I thought there was this guy named ed adding his opinion to the reviews. Ie : He always was a turd (and bastard -ed.). I became suspicious when I noticed he was everywhere, for a short while I thought maybe he was this gaming celebrity that did it all.

You know how on coke covers in fast food places they have those things you push in so that the guy giving you the food knows if its diet ,regular or 7up ? I thought those were polls and that they removed them after you were done and collected them for information . I also thought that if I pushed them all in the cleaners would get angry and hurt me. I was young and paranoid.

I used to hang christmas decorations on our door even though were weren't christians, it was christmas and we lived in a country where it never snows and hardly ever rains.

Thats about all I remember.

When I was younger, my friend told me about how aliens were coming into our country and I then spent the next few weeks in fear that aliens were going to take over the world. I finally learned that by aliens, my friend meant illegal immigrants from mexico.

I also used to think that Street Fighter the movie was good.

When I was four, my babysitter's daughter told me that the USA was a sewer. This made total sense to me, as if they were below us on the map, the must be below us physically too. I believed this until I was 6. In my defense, I knew that America was a country, just not that America and the USA were one and the same.

...God the song "Surfin' USA" disturbed me...

My brother instillled a fear of anthrax into my younger sister a few years ago (during the Gulf War which was during the early 90s). She was convinced she would die by anthrax.

I realized a little while ago in a moment of clarity that I enjoyed the first four Harry Potter books only because I read them in a marathon session immediately after being disappointed by Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain — which, contrary to my expectations, wasn't magical in the least. I expected something like the Walpurgis Night in Goethe's Faust, I guess. A dead Nobel laureate, through a deceitful titling of his book is to blame for my enjoyment of a pile of mediocre children's books. It is embarrasing to have to admit that I like stories with magic in them, and, apparently, dislike with considerable prejudice those that speak about magic metaphorically.

For the longest time I was confused by the term "tennis shoes". I thought we were all wearing shoes intended for wear while playing tennis.

As a kid, I believed that one day a fiery apocalypse would obliterate all those not of my mothers religion. Later, common sense prevailed upon my entire family.

It's kind of funny that Christianity has hinged on the fact that the apocalypse/2nd coming will happen "any day now - so get ready!" for nearly 2000 years. Jesus is pretty late. I mean, I imagine when Christianity was newly formed, and maybe you, or your parents, or at worst your Grandparents were alive at the same time Jesus was walking around, the idea of the 2nd coming was pretty fresh, and, you know, kinda plausible when there was a direct connection like that. But holy crap.*

* pun unintentional

For the people that believed in the Norse religion, they actually believed that the end of the world was going to come any day, and that they were all going to do. They thought that Loki was chained to some rock, and that acid was dripping on him and whenever acid would fall on him, he would struggle to get free and that would cause the whole world to shake. And since the norse people thought that loki being chained to the rock was one of the signs that ragnorok was going to happen any second, everyone would start freaking out and they thought they were going to die any second.

They also thought that a long winter represented that ragnorok was going to happen, so they pretty much freaked out that period too until winter ended. Actually, pretty much anything that happened was a sign that ragnorok was going to come so the norse people probably lived in fear the whole time.

At least when the christian apocalypse is supposed to come, we're supposed to go to heaven and stuff. When the world was supposed to end for the norse, everyone was supposed to be killed by ghosts/giants/whatever and that was it.

For the people that believed in the Norse religion, they actually believed that the end of the world was going to come any day, and that they were all going to do. They thought that Loki was chained to some rock, and that acid was dripping on him and whenever acid would fall on him, he would struggle to get free and that would cause the whole world to shake. And since the norse people thought that loki being chained to the rock was one of the signs that ragnorok was going to happen any second, everyone would start freaking out and they thought they were going to die any second.

They also thought that a long winter represented that ragnorok was going to happen, so they pretty much freaked out that period too until winter ended. Actually, pretty much anything that happened was a sign that ragnorok was going to come so the norse people probably lived in fear the whole time.

At least when the christian apocalypse is supposed to come, we're supposed to go to heaven and stuff. When the world was supposed to end for the norse, everyone was supposed to be killed by ghosts/giants/whatever and that was it.

I love existential religions.

It's kind of funny that Christianity has hinged on the fact that the apocalypse/2nd coming will happen "any day now - so get ready!" for nearly 2000 years. Jesus is pretty late. I mean, I imagine when Christianity was newly formed, and maybe you, or your parents, or at worst your Grandparents were alive at the same time Jesus was walking around, the idea of the 2nd coming was pretty fresh, and, you know, kinda plausible when there was a direct connection like that. But holy crap.*

* pun unintentional

Cognitive dissonance, anyone?

As everyone knows, time is just an illusion devised by the devil to make us think that 2000 years has passed, when in fact there has only been some 65, 70 max since Jesus had a really bad weekend for our sins.

... and don't even get them started on carbon dating. One I never bought was "The Devil created dinosaur bones to test the faithful", but I knew people who believed it.