Sign in to follow this  
AndyB

"Sell" me on Katamari Damacy?

The style looks awesome especially the 'wooden humans', but is there any kind of challenge to the gameplay it seems very simple from the videos I've seen. What makes it interesting, and what makes it fun?

No, it's not particularly challenging. What it is is just awesome. If you're just clearing the levels for the sake of clearing them, the game won't take you very long at all. The beauty of the game is in the feeling that it evokes. On the last level, if you can resist cracking a huge smile when you roll up Godzilla (or "Mogran" as the game calls him) or that gleeful moment when you pick up the entire island that you started the round on, there is a special place in hell for you. You seem to be sold on the style, which is good. It shows you have an appreciation for these things.

This is a game that works its way into your system. I beat it the day after I bought it, but a month later, I'm still playing it just as much if not more than the other games I've picked up used for the system. I need that high score, that one present that eludes me, whatever. The game is not hard, but the game does not end. Take that as you will. At $20 though, I'd pick it up anyway. Even if it turns out not to be your thing, odds are someone you know will be sucked into the game world. This game begs to be enjoyed, so good luck to you.

:kd:

The style looks awesome especially the 'wooden humans', but is there any kind of challenge to the gameplay it seems very simple from the videos I've seen. What makes it interesting, and what makes it fun?

It's sort of a puzzle game (sort of). You have a certain amount of time to get your ball to a certain size, but you can only pick up objects that are significantly smaller than the existing mass of your ball, meaning you have to sort of pay attention to what you're doing otherwise you run out of time and your katamari is puny (which causes you to get made fun of, and also lose). It's not just a free-roaming "pick everything up" playground thing or something (well, it does become that once you get to the far later levels and your ball gets big enough to pick up skyscrapers and invading sea monsters)... Not incredibly challenging, but it's got really great hilarious and fluid/tactile gameplay with an awesome visual style and music (and it costs $20 new!)... Hard to resist.

As people say, it's none too challenging; if you fail a level on your first go you'l almost certainly get it on your second. Some levels are a bit more challenging because you end them by picking up a certain type of object, a bear for instance, and they're liberally scattered as hazards.

Becoming large enough to pick up any animal or human that once bullied you is supremely satisfying. Oh, and if you pick up cheese, mice chase you. If you pick up mice, cats chase you. If you pick up bank robbers, the police chase you, etc. It's an utter delight.