Karimi

How did you lose your gaming virginity ?

One of the 200 or so pirated games on my brother's C64 no doubt!

Ah, what a machine. It taught me how to read when I was 3, and when I was 7 I was already playing English IF games. With little success mind, but I was playing them!

First PC games that I really played a lot are probably Civilization, Dune 2, Police Quest 1 and Indiana Jones: Last Crusade. I copied (sorry!) IJ:LC from a friend who didn't realize you could save the game. Everytime he wanted to play it, he had to start from the beginning. He managed to finish it. Hardcore.

Pole Position, with my older brother, on an Atari 2600.

The first game that made me love games was Bruce Lee, on an Amstrad CPC-464. I loved that, as player two, I could annoy people I didn't like by letting them fight alone while I just pulled down a lot to make the green guy blow his horn.

erm.. im assuming it was pong or one of those other games that involved a white square...

does that even count?

Hmm, the first game I played was some math game for the Vic-20...

The game that me a gamer? The game that made me think " I want to game till I die" but not in a chinese guy dying while playing a MMORPG way? :mock:

Hard to tell... Perhaps Bubble Bobble? Or Mega Man? Zelda? Monkey Island? I just can't decide... :erm:

The first game I played that got me hooked was Rick Dangerous 2, on a display model of the Amiga 500 back in the day. The first game that I played that I can still play again to this day because it's so extremely good that I mourn that they don't make them like it anymore is Fate of Atlantis.

erm.. im assuming it was pong or one of those other games that involved a white square...

does that even count?

No.

No.

Aww, nothing wrong with Pong back in the day. That was the first arcade game ever. The history of it has reminded me of another very old game I used to play for many years on the first few IBMs and later 'PC-compatables': Space-War. Any of you play that? It was the first ever game, written at MIT during the 60's, and needing a computer the size of a room (hence no arcade version till many years later, after pong), but it fit on a 5.25" floppy and ran on most anything by 80s.

It looks like 2 player deathmatch asteroids with looping screen boundaries and gravity that affected the torpedoes you could fire at each other. That was probably the first game where I spent a lot of time playing against other people. Lemme find a random link...

Hmmm I guess it was space invaders or attic attack on my brother's spectrum ZX.

First game that made me say OMG was sonic.

Game that changed me from someone who played games quite a bit to a gamer would have to be tekken 2.

I vaguley remember a wierd painting game.

Oh, and Two Crude Dudes. That game rocked.

Even though I played all sorts of crazy children's Atari games that my dad unleashed upon me during my earliest years, it wasn't until I experienced the Dizzy games that I really took an interest in gaming which still goes on to this day. I forget which one exactly it was that got me going, possibly Treasure Island Dizzy. This puzzle-type style of gameplay took me into classics such as Monkey Island and all that business, and the rest is history.

My God, what a game.

I started with a whole stream of generic MSX games that I played al mishmash. So I didn't really have one single game that got me into the hobby. I was, however, introduced to bigbudget contemporary games with Toonstruck. I guess that was the first game I really owned that was, well... putting a definitive stamp on me.

Pole Position, with my older brother, on an Atari 2600.

Yowser! It must have been a hell of an experience to lose your virginity in the pole position, with your older brother.

Oh, gaming virginity.

My dad brought home an Atari with a bunch of games. I remember Playing Caverns of Mars, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug and Pac Man a lot, but since I had all the games at the same time, it was more the collection than just one game.

Yowser! It must have been a hell of an experience to lose your virginity in the pole position, with your older brother.

Oh, gaming virginity.

Heheh.

I expected more people to make virginity jokes , I'm sort of disappointed :P.

This thread is making me feel old. Gather round, children... :oldman:

I started gaming sometime in the mid-'80s on my dad's Apple II+, when I was 8 or 9. I can't remember the first one I ever played, but I was really into the old EA games, from the days when EA actually had some creativity: Adventure Construction Set, Skyfox, the first Bard's Tale, Seven Cities of Gold. I even played M.U.L.E. a few times. Dan Bunten, rest his soul, was the man. And then he was the woman.

My dad made a few games himself, but I never played any of them as a kid except a all-text boxing game which had great descriptions of the action. It really goes to show how the imagination will always trump graphics.

I was already in my teens and hooked by the time all those Sierra and Lucasarts classics came out.

Heheh.

I expected more people to make virginity jokes , I'm sort of disappointed :P.

Yeah, I was too tired to post last night, and assumed that someone else would have jumped on such a set up and I'd have lost my chance.

Yeah, I was too tired to post last night, and assumed that someone else would have jumped on such a set up and I'd have lost my chance.

It wasn't really intended as a set up , but usually the people here can put sometihng together.

Something like :

I lost my gaming virginity to Lara Croft oh yea...

Or something.

This thread is making me feel old. Gather round, children... :oldman:

Old? Hasn't someone cited pong? I dropped in Moon Patrol ¬ These aren't exactly new games...

The first game I ever played was Luigi's Mansion. I love that game.

lying bastard.

That said, I've been gaming since way back in the early-mid '00s. My parents got me GTA:SA when I was a kid. "You know, before they censored it." A classic game, the first I really fell in love with.

One question for all of you though, at what point do you consider the 'generations'. For me the original gaming generation (Or as some others call it the 'geek' generation) Is everyone from Spacewar (first game) to the SNES. That's basically where gaming was mostly the stuff of geeks, not something advertised on TV, etc. What do you think?

I'd cut off the first Gen with the death of the 2600. Nintendo's arrival as a console manufacturer really kicked off the second generation in my mind, with the first gen players being the hardest of the hard-core who would play on the really old computers, journey to the arcades, and maybe still have a copy of "Adventure" sitting somewhere in the attic. This would make me (and I think most of us) second generation, although I think the Thumb is one of the few places online where this actually matters. We respect our elders, dagnabbit! :oldman:

Well, regardless of the first, I'd say the last great generation of gaming was the SNES / Megadrive era. Back then there was no internet, so multiplayers actually required multiple players and not just a decent connection to the old three dubya's.

Games were wild and expensive, and we were all only twelve, so you could only ever own three at any one time. It was a fantastic time to be alive, because it was impossible to fall back on gaming as your sole form of entertainment. If it was a really nice day, you would play football.

I pity the children.

Like wise Thrik once said to me, the people whose first gaming experience is Half Life 2 are in a tough situation - games are pointed towards realism as opposed to memorability. I mean, I remember weird, weird things from random games just because they were innovative. I don't remember ever liking a game because it looked "realistic."

Well, Jake, I thought the people referring to Pong were just kidding. But for those who really did get their start with Pong and Spacewar, I give all the due respect. :worship:

I'd agree, the first generation ends with the death of the 2600, and the second begins with the NES. This makes me a kind of "tweener" insofar as I came into the gaming world almost exactly between these periods. (I did play the notorious E.T., which may make you wonder why I became a gamer at all.)

Is there a different set of generations, though, for PC games? As a wannabe historian (and someone who has always preferred PC games to console ones) I am interested in what people think.

Probably playing Bricks (you know, with the paddles) on an ancient Apple Macintosh at my mum's workplace when I was very very young. I would sit and play for hours. The first system I played in my own house was the original NES. My sister bought Mario Brothers and I bought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the game that would be my first source of video game rage. The poor NES controller took a battering.

But most gaming memories come from the first PC games I played, on a 486. Packaged with the system were some greats (great to me anyway). The King's Quest series, the Gobliiins games, a number of enthralling adventure/puzzle titles I forget the names of.

But I was still a 'casual' gamer, playing for simple entertainment, up until the year 2000 when I loaded up Deus Ex. That turned me hardcore and showed me what games are capable of. And made me so unsatisfied with the kinds of games I'd enjoyed up to that point.

Well, Jake, I thought the people referring to Pong were just kidding. But for those who really did get their start with Pong and Spacewar, I give all the due respect. :worship:

I'd agree, the first generation ends with the death of the 2600, and the second begins with the NES. This makes me a kind of "tweener" insofar as I came into the gaming world almost exactly between these periods. (I did play the notorious E.T., which may make you wonder why I became a gamer at all.)

Is there a different set of generations, though, for PC games? As a wannabe historian (and someone who has always preferred PC games to console ones) I am interested in what people think.

PC-wise I think it'd be the jump from different consoles (Like the commodore, etc) to MS-Dos? Or maybe to windows?