SiN

Broken Sword 4 annouced!

It's super! I loved the three BS games, so I'm super thrilled! Also, I hope that the same super team that did the other games is also doing this, and not some other non-super team. What about that shady Ince fellow who lurks around at adventuregamers? Is he in?

I too am a pretty big fan of the series. I didn't exactly love all of number 3, but I guess most of it was ok. Hopefully they'll manage something good, but I really hope they don't leave Nico out of this (as the press release hints at).

I'm not sure if Steve is in the BS4 team. He's working on his Juniper Crescent game at the moment, but I don't know if he has left Revolution or anything. But it would be nice, the man is a Broken Sword expert after all.

Steve was let go by Revolution over a year ago. That's what I remember.

He's dumping Nicole for a stranger? Come to think of it they didn't seem like much of a couple in BS3 anymore... :erm:

Awesome!

And as far as the beautiful stranger part...

Remember that that white haired assassin girl disappeared before the end of BS3, and George (though maybe just teasing Nico) did seem a little taken with her....

:shifty:

Awesome!

And as far as the beautiful stranger part...

I thought she was dead?

Either way, I don't think so.

I hope BS4 sticks to the templar story like the first and third games. The second one went into that whole aztec thing and wasn't nearly as good IMHO.

I'm not a big fan of the BS serie... those games always felt so unfunny to me, it was pathetic; it seemed like the game was firing at me tons of ammos loaded with unleashed humor and missed each shot.

The last one was also very disappointing, mainly because the world seemed to only contain elements needed to solve the puzzle you were stuck at [no 's' for puzzle because you only encountered one problem at a time] ... the consequence was that going through the game was rather a matter of finding the hidden object that would unlock the situation than being intelligent or smart.

The dialogs amazingly lacked of depth, like, you could only talk to people about what was the matter at hand... once you had extracted the piece of information they were supposed to deliver, there wasn't anthing to do with them...

Anyway, BS4 announcement interest me only because, BS3 was the first Full-3D adventure game [if you forget the "out-of-body experience" provided by GKIII - quite good, but strange], and I wonder what kind of gameplay they are going to use now... I know I'm hoping for a GTA kind of universe.

They're not "comedy games" or something... Do you assume that because they're animated?

They're not "comedy games" or something... Do you assume that because they're animated?

No. They are trying to be funny. Emphasis on trying.

I guess. The humor in Broken Sword's dialogue isn't ever IRREVERENT IN YOUR FACE PARADIGM SHIFTING EXTREME WIT like some things, but it's not offensive either. It's not trying to be extreme. George is a goof, like that one only moderately-funny-but-earnest uncle that everyone seems to have, and I think they captured that pretty well. He's not Sam and Max or Raz or Guybrush - he doesn't sit there dishing out a million zingers at everything he sees - but I don't think they were trying for that.

George is a goof, like that one only moderately-funny-but-earnest uncle that everyone seems to have, and I think they captured that pretty well. He's not Sam and Max or Raz or Guybrush - he doesn't sit there dishing out a million zingers at everything he sees - but I don't think they were trying for that.

Yeah, I know that... but, I have to say, I really hate everything about George Stobbart.From his humor to his flegmatic reactions...

He's not a 3rd person character I can care about and he isn't shallow enough so that i can fill his personnality with whatever I want.

I find this character badly defined : he's not a hero, not an anti-hero and he doesn't have the depth of, says, Gabriel Knight that would make him believable.

For some reason, that gave it a realistic tinge for me. BS1 was a game about crazy cults and neo-templars and whatnot, but it didn't have stereotypical, exaggerated characters and that gave it validity as a realistic adventure. I guess.

Yeah, I think cussing out Broken Sword because it's not funny is a bit daft, since it's not exactly supposed to be a laughathon like a certain other developer's adventure games. I enjoyed the more serious tone of it.

I didn't hugely like BS3, though. I'm more referring to the original two, and the general gaming culture back then. All the other adventure games I played were totally humour driven and such, so it made a nice break to go to something more serious. Nowadays it's not so though, since pretty much every game has a serious tone. ¬

It's all about the right timing. BS was quite nouveau with its serious tone back then. Standing out now would mean coming with a humourous, 2D game in this onslaught of 3D prerendered or realtime, deadly serious, realistic adventures.

Nothing against those by the way. But they just don't appeal to me as much as 2D =)

I actually really like the humor in the Broken Sword series.

But then, I also liked the humor in The Longest Journey, and then recently I read someone complaining that the game was utterly humorless, so maybe I just find the absence of humor hilarious.

...although that sounds rather funny.

(See?)

I liked the first (it made me chuckle ocasionally, but nothing especially funny), I never played the second (though it may have been able to make me chuckle occasionally, maybe it's especially funny), and I disliked the third (which especially made me chuckle occasionally because it felt like MacGyver).

So I'll wait and see.

I really enjoyed the often cheesy banter between George and Nico, and I think itimproved as the series progressed. I loved Broken Sword 3 too, it just had far too many crate puzzles.