Sign in to follow this  
Malarac

Good FPS's devoid of money snatchers

My housemates and I have been in the search for a good multiplayer FPS to start (aiming for a game that isn't years old). There are a few resrictions on our choices, for example - we dislike buying games (being the poor uni students who spend their consumable income on drugs rather than items :shifty: ) and we dislike paying to play online (same reason as above).

So I thought I would put it to the thumbs community to see if there are any decent multiplayer FPS's that dont require a credit/eftpos card? (we don't mind if we have to crack, as long as we can still play online on servers).

Previous games we have played and enjoyed:

Quakeworld (the best multiplayer FPS ever) + newer Quake's

Wolfenstein: enemy terrotory

and assorted mods (i.e. urban terror)

counter-strike (b4 steam entered the arena)

As you can see most of the above games are OLD :oldman: . Quake being like 6-7 y and ET almost as old. Are any good games still free? graphics aren't an issue (its all about the fps) but newer games gain priority.

Any suggestions?

Who cares if the game is new? Most of what you posted are mods anyway and require a retail game to play.

Anyways, my recomendation is UT2k4. It is cheap, and the mod scene is hot.

UT2k4 is definitely a good recommendation, though you are expected to buy the game, it's pretty cheap nowadays (20 quid?). Good value too, the variety and number of game modes included by default do a good job of maintaining interest.

What I've been playing a bit of recently is the Natural Selection mod for HL; it makes the most of the archaic engine and is great to play too.

Halo 1 is around pretty cheap too; the singleplayer mode is nothing special, but the multiplayer is good fun.

...we dislike buying games (being the poor uni students who spend their consumable income on drugs rather than items :shifty: )

...(we don't mind if we have to crack, as long as we can still play online on servers).

:tdown:

Fork out some cash and buy a game. Either that or list the games you already have and ask people to suggest some mods you could play. Or play demos forever.

I've been having a lot of fun with Battlefield 2, you could try that.

Battlefield 2 would be a big recommendation, but as with most good games it requires at least one purchase. Counter-Strike may be a free mod, but as said above you'll still need a legitimate Half-Life (2) to play it online. The only time you'll be charged just to play online is with MMORPG games though, unless you count buying the game in the first place as paying to play online, you dirty scoundrel. ;

If you get UT2k4, get the mod AirBuccaneers :)

Sorry for the plug, it's made by people studying at the same place I'm starting my studies in a few weeks.

There are a few resrictions on our choices, for example - we dislike buying games (being the poor uni students who spend their consumable income on drugs rather than items :shifty: ) and we dislike paying to play online (same reason as above).

(we don't mind if we have to crack, as long as we can still play online on servers).

I recommend buying a game.

I recommend UT 2k4 as well since it's pretty cheap and should last a long time. But if for whatever reason, you really really don't want to buy a game, Starsiege Tribes 1 and 2 are free.

If you are looking for free games, go to www.moddb.com and check out their listings of Stand Alone games. There are plenty of upcoming and already released multiplayer games there of exceptional quality that have been released under the GPL. One I am looking forward to is Nosferatu.

Otherwise, UT2004 is a great game with a good mod scene, as is Half Life 2. In the case of Half-Life 2, the Hidden: Source mod is one of the best multiplayer experiences I've come across.

First off man, get over your implied piracy. It takes some time, but I personally feel a lot better about myself since I gave it up.

Yeah, as with most people here, I need to recommend UT2K4. I got it used for $20 (Canadian) and you could probably find a similar deal. Mod community is great, and private servers aren't too hard to set up. You seem quite similar to me in that you enjoy playing against your friends but not the online community in general. I've been playing with mates for a while now and still have yet to be yelled at by a pre-pubescent 1337 asshole.

I guess there's always America's Army. :)

Awww, I'm sad because it reminded me on how i missed out on seeing the Fragdolls.

I too recommend buying a game.

Once was Tao, twice was... something else.

Not that is isn't good advice.

Yay for not stealin'! :clap:

QUAKE. THREE. ARENA.

You shouldnt really need any other multiplayer fps game.

SiN

QUAKE. THREE. ARENA.

You shouldnt really need any other multiplayer fps game.

SiN

But Unreal is better!

/me starts a flamewar.

But Unreal is better!

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that.

SiN

Unreal is better, After Quake 2, id lost their crown.

although the single player design didn't match up... multiplayer for unreal tournament rules.

Cheers for the advice all,

One of my housemates has UT2004 but it requires all of us buying it (not to mention 6gig of space). Another thing being that the best game mode (i.e. fuck.. whats it called.. the one with vehicles where you have to capture nodes) no one online seems to really pick up -> its all dm and duels. I understand the criticisms of the whole don't wanna buy games but we are really poor...

i make like $700 (au) a fortnight, minus all the other shit there aint much left.

I realise most of the games I mentioned are mods and the idea of emphasis on newer games/mods is we want to get in b4 ppl have had 4 yrs to become elite at the game and hence give ourselves a chance to keep up with the serious gamers in skill (and pwn some noobs).

You seem quite similar to me in that you enjoy playing against your friends but not the online community in general. I've been playing with mates for a while now and still have yet to be yelled at by a pre-pubescent 1337 asshole.

What I mean is that me and my mates like to play against the online community, if it aint online we tire of playing the same ppl (it also leads to bad strategies because you only ever face the same competition) plus we need to utilise our leet 12000/1000 adsl connection :clap:

we have played a bit of BF2 (needs alot of players but I will check out some mods), unreal had its turn and quake 3 arena will NEVER beat quakeworld in gamer goodness