Tanukitsune

Capcom Figthing Evoltion/Jam

ince it's been a while since I've played a NEW figthing game, I decided it wouldn't hurt buying this game, but actually...

For starter they didn't pick the characters well, Why was Morrigan excluded? She's more popular than Ankaris, Jedah or Dimitri! They also included some characters from a game called Red Earth, that only extreme Capcom fans that import (know as Warzard in Japan) would know...

Then they just copy and pasted the code from the original game, you can see they haven't adapted their changing style and It's not really ajusted when you fight someone from another series. And you can notice how pixelated they they didn¡t even bother to give them a graphic update....

And I'd hate to admit it, but this game is way too hard! I've never seen a figthing game so ridicously hard since Street Fighter III, then again, since they probably copied and pasted some code from SF III, that would explain a lot...

I had it set ot Easy and couldn't win a single fight! I haven't met a figthing game I couldn't beat (except SF III) and now I can't win a single fight? This is ridicoulous!

This game is only recommended for Capcom junkies who need a desperate fix for a new fighting game...

For once the game sites agree with me and give it a mere 6 out of ten as an average....

Capcom has done nothing but let me down lately, then again, I haven't bought RE 4 yet...

And don't even get me started about Megaman!

You had troubles with Street fighter 3? Was that Alpha or third strike?

Third strike was a markedly different game to the rest of the genre with there being more empahsis on blocking and counters (something that appears quite a lot in capcom evolution and confuises a lot of peeps).

If you want a decent fighting game try samurai showdown 5 when it comes out, or at a pinch King of Fighters: Maniax.

Capcom have neglected their fighting franchise for some time now (gone are the days of Alpha 3 and X-men vs Capcom) adn it shows. You mentioned the lazy graphics, that has been going on for years now and I think it is downright rude.

The last decent Capcom game was SNK vs Capcom 2. And it is in great part thanks to SNK that that wasn't a turd (the PS2 version is the better of the lot).

Yep, it was Third Strike, I remember Ibuki kicking my butt like I've never played a game before... :shifty:

Europe doens't get many SNK games, but we do seem to be getting more now, so we might get lucky and get the games you mentioned...

Since we're on the subject? Does anybody know the last Tekken is? Is it any good?

I haven't played a good fighter since Soul Caliber II...

I've only played about three or four hours of Tekken 5, but the impression it made on me during that time is that it is a game worth purchasing (sadly I don't have the right machinery for it). If you liked Tekken 3 then it's for you, since it feels like they've gone back and looked at what made that game fun in the first place.

I'm not really sure how I would say it holds up to Soul Calibur 2, since I've played a lot more of that. But really, if you have a Playstation 2 then you should also have Tekken 5.

Tekken 5 is lovely :) It's got all the fun of Tekken 3, with some good new characters that aren't just re-skinned (eww) versions of old characters, and more eye candy effects. In short, it's better looking and has the high quality FMVs of Tekken 4, but thankfully still has the fun factor that Tekken 3 and tag have.

Shame about the capcom games. I still like playing Marvel vs Capcom 2, but mainly just because I'm a big comics fan, and don't really know the King of fighters series much. I don't remember 3rd Strike being particularly hard on the Dreamcast, but I guess the arcade had a higher default difficulty setting. I kind of miss 3rd Strike as I only saw that around for a year or 2 and haven't seen it since in any shape or form.

I don't remember 3rd Strike being particularly hard on the Dreamcast, but I guess the arcade had a higher default difficulty setting. I kind of miss 3rd Strike as I only saw that around for a year or 2 and haven't seen it since in any shape or form.

It was part of the Street fighter anniversary edition (definitely for Xbox, and maybe on the PS2 version as well)

3rd Strike wasn't particularly hard (well I didn't think it was) it was just tweaked so much all the old school gamers had to adjust to the new style.

Third Strike is probably the best game in the entire SF series. It has the most depth and gives the player an incredible amount of freedom to learn and grow. As I think TMCB mentioned, the game was quite a leap away from previous SFs - the parry system in particular was something a lot of people (from within the SF community and outside of it) couldn't get to grips with. As a result a lot of people left Third Strike alone after its initial release. Some people gave it a chance however and discovered the aforementioned depth in the game, and it has slowly grown over the years and come to be accepted as the best game in the series.

It is also now the main game used in SF tournaments around the world (for anyone interested and in the London area on Sunday 14th August - there is a Neo Empire Third Strike tournament running from 1pm at Zyrus Nightclub in Farringdon. There will be lots of drinks, food, music and cash prize...)

Oh the difficulty thing mentioned by MetalMickey. The reason it wasn't as "hard" on DC was because Third Strike on the DC was slightly different to the game in the Arcade, there were exploits and certain other things that were taken out of the DC version. So it's not more or less difficult, just different.

As for a good Capcom fighting game, i'd go with Metal again and say Marvel vs Capcom 2. If you're looking for something a bit different you could try Darkstalkers: Vampire Chronicles, which is quite fun.

I also agree with MetalMickey's Marvel VS Capcom 2 recommendation.

It's most definitely one of the finest fighting games on Dreamcast. It took me hours upon hours to unlock every character and stage (I didn't finish unlocking the character's colors, nor do I really care to do so) and I enjoyed doing it. I still like humming the catchy music, and I still find the graphics to be beautiful and the speed of the game to be just right. Even after I unlocked everything (excluding the character's colors) I played it in a near daily basis.

Highly recommended (especially on Dreamcast).