Sign in to follow this  
Marek

DS multiplayer gaming

I've never had a GBA, let alone a link cable, let alone friends with GBAs with link cables, so this is all new to me on the DS, but ... wow, playing multiplayer games on it is really a lot more social and fun than your average PC LAN. I love it!

I mean, with DSes in hand you tend to sit more in a circle, rather than everyone facing a monitor in opposite directions. And with wi-fi you can really make yourself comfortable and still keep playing.

What are the best DS games at the moment to play against each other? I tried Puyo Pop Fever and Zoo Keeper but found the multiplayer aspect to be minimal at best. The same goes for Meteos, but that game is so awesome I don't mind it's not that ideal for multiplayer. Meteos is pretty much all we play now.

Will I have to wait for Mario Kart, Metroid Prime, etc. for some proper multiplayer action, or is there something available already (be it local or import) that I don't know of? Any silly multiplayer minigames hidden in single player games that are good?

All I know is that MarioKart will be multiplayer. There also seems to be some cultural phenomenon forming around Nintendogs (or whatever the Japanese call the game) where if your DS dog walks past another DS dog, they can bark at each other and interact.

I know, it's not multiplayer, but it does allow you meet others on a social level.

Nintendogs

I tried Mario 64's multiplayer once. It's pretty much a bizzare capture the flag game where everyone is Yoshi but can transform by finding a hat (as in the game). It was kinda fun, but then the other player decided that he didn't think the DS would do well, and sold his machine. He was the only other person I knew with a DS, so I haven't had a chance to play multi since. I need to find more people with one of these gizmos...

Or, y'know, eventually just race fellow thumbs in Mario Kart once it finally goes online. Whichever.

I want to play Meteos multiplayer really badly. :(

As far as suggestions, I wish that people I knew in person actually owned DSes because I want to play stuff with them.

why not play the metroid hunters demo that came with your ds? or was that only a north america thing?

and yeah, ive been dying to play multiplayer ds too ...

SiN

Yeah, I've got hunters (Canada is in North America too, eh?). Again though, no one to play with. Come on, online! We're all waiting for ya!

It punches me in the face that Hunters won't be online.

Chris

It punches me in the face that Hunters won't be online.

Yeah, hopefully someone'll find a way to tunnel or something. It's still really the only DS option for an FPS (Goldeneye is shit, and therefore doesn't count) and I would appreciate the chance for some intercontinental DS fraggage. It's a shame since the system is the best suited control-wise aside from the PC.Chris\

Gotta wait for the sequel I guess. But by then Nintendo will be out of business anyway because they wont ever get their head out of the sand and start making games that aren't for kids so it doesnt really matter.

The GameCube isn't my preferred platform, that's for sure... that machine's for kids. The games are juvenile. Resident Evil 4 is the only thing the system's got going on.

Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer was poo, though. I don't know what Hunters is like. Metroid is all about the lone Samus and her loneliness in a big lonely place! Multiplayer, pfft.

Because of the combination of the d-pad and the DS touchscreen, Hunters plays almost like a WASD+mouselook FPS... it's really great to control. I imagine the multiplayer would be pretty good especially for a handheld system.

Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer was poo, though. I don't know what Hunters is like. Metroid is all about the lone Samus and her loneliness in a big lonely place! Multiplayer, pfft.

That really means nothing. The games aren't by the same people. They're both first party teams, but Prime and Prime 2 are by Retro Studios, and Hunters is by Nintendo Software Technology. The producer of Prime considers Prime a First Person Adventure, whereas Hunters is a First Person Shooter.