Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Please to recommend things?

OK, I just aqquired a used PS2 along with a copy of GT3: A-Spec. Of course, I rushed out to find Katamari Damacy, and Ico was $15, so I picked that up as well. I won't be able to buy anything other than food until my next paycheque now, but when that arrives, what else do people recommend for this new black box on top of my TV? I am uninitiated in the world of Sony gaming, and any veterans with advice would be appreciated.

If you haven't played an Ape Escape game, play Ape Escape 2. If you have already played the first one, you might not be interested in it unless you really liked the first one. But the option is there. Klonoa 2 is good clean fun.

Erm...I loved Parappa the Rapper 2 - an amusing music game where you rap about noodles. Amplitude is another cool music game where you 'create' the different parts of songs with a spaceship by hitting the various beats. You have to keep juggling each part of the song to keep the entire song alive. There's also a shooter called Rez which is almost art - there are no sound effects in this game, every action is accented by music. So as you play and blast away enemies, you create music. Not so sure about buying it, but definitely play it at least once.

Fantavision is a fun puzzle game where you make fireworks, but I'd only try for it if you can get it cheap. Flipnic is a pretty pinball game with some really great ideas. Primal is a pretty nice adventure game where you're a nice young lady who discovers that she is half demon and can turn into horrific monsters. She also has a talking gargoyle, just like in Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame! Remember them?

Altered Beast has you as a grumpy young man who comes out of a metal box and turns into a werewolf in the most gruesome way possible. Eyeballs popping out and all that. Later on he can turn into other monsters, including the bear with KUNG-FU GRIP. The game basically involves you beating the crap out of everything you see until it dies. It also has a storyline that tries to be deadly serious about everything, but comes off hilarious because of it. Although, I think this one only came out in Europe and Australia. Well, and Japan. But not America. Um.

Also, I know you love your platformers, so pick up Sly 1 and 2, you'll love 'em. Make sure you play Sly 1 first, because then you'll play Sly 2 and go WOW THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER. If you do it the other way, you probably won't enjoy it as much. Ratchet 'n' Clank 1 and 2 are both cool, but 3 seems to be wearing it a bit thin. Don't bother with the upcoming Ratchet: Deadlocked, it's dropped the platforming in favour for shooting the shit out of everything. *sigh* If you liked Banjo (and I know you did) you'll probably love the gameplay of Jak 'n' Daxter, but possibly not the irritating characters. Don't play past Jak 'n' Daxter, it's really not worth it. Think Warrior Within.

If you don't already have it, get Beyond Good and Evil, but I think you already might (though it's probably better to get that on Xbox - no mucking about with memory cards).

*phew* Does that help?

Allow me to second the Sly recommendations as that is truly a sweet set of games. Ape Escape 2 is pretty good as well.

As far as musically interesting action, you've got Amplitude, Rez and Gitaroo Man. Those are all quite fun to play if you're into that type (although Rez is certainly a genre unto itself).

God of War seems pretty fun as far as action games go. It got great reviews and the demo is fun (haven't played the full version yet). Of course, the Metal Gear Solid series is quite sweet (and MGS2 can be had used for $5 at the Gamestop by me, at least).

That's all I can think of right now (it's too hot to think over here).

You're life will never feel utterly complete without Gitaroo Man.

It is like Parappa the Rappa with even more weird/funny stuff going on.

Oh and if you get lucky with the (they vary wildly from country to country) price ICO would be worth getting.

Yeah, I've already got ahold of Ico, in the sense that I ordered it for less than $20 online and it's in the mail. Rez is one that I always wanted to play, but have forgotten about recently. How hard would you say it would be to get ahold of these days? Sly I hadn't thought about, but will at least rent now, so thanks. As for BG&E, I've got the 'cube version and have played it over about 4 times now. Great game. Thanks for the tips!

Yoy. OK, I found Rez on eBay, but the thing is (brace yourselves) $120 US!!!!!

Looks like this is one game that I'll just have missed out on...

OK,

Ring of Red - Absolutely great Mech game. It's a 3D turn-based but for the greatest reason. Konami

Tekken Tag or 5 - Namco fighter

SNK Capcom 2 - 2D fighter

Fantavision

R-Type Final

Onimusha 3

Burnout Takedown

Devil May Cry 1 or 3

Jo Jo's Bizzare Adventure

Yoy. OK, I found Rez on eBay, but the thing is (brace yourselves) $120 US!!!!!

Looks like this is one game that I'll just have missed out on...

Mate, I am so sorry. That game is genius (I played it briefly on the Dreamcast). Be patient, there have been several items I thought I could never own. Be patient, I had an 'idiot' (read: not really an idiot just not interested in games or spelling as they advertised it as 'Shinning Force') sell me shining force on the Megadrive for £6 (9-10 us dollars) on ebay.

I also picked up a Saturn memory card for £9 (it is priced at £39.99 in the local retro games shop).

Don't give up, just take your time!

Okay let's get the obvious out of the way:

Psychonauts

You probably have it on something, but still...

Others that I don't see mentioned here:

Virtua Fighter 4 or VF4 Evolution - Probably my favorite fighting game this generation (it beats Dreamcast's Soul Calibur). You can get either one (go with Evolution) for an extremely cheap prices these days.

Jak & Daxter - Not the sequels (which are more like shooters than platform games), but the outstanding original. It was funny, pretty, and incredibly fun. I highly recommend it.

Final Fantasy X - It's very good, and you can get it for cheap. (Beware of its redundant sequel.)

Dark Cloud 2 - I never played it, but I wish I did.

Kingdom Hearts - It's good, not very good, but good. And it's cheap!

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 - A good game, and it's cheap now.

Well, buddy left Burnout 3 in the system, and I'm enjoying the occasional wreck in that. Katamari Damacy has me incredibly hooked (I just picked up my first car! w00t!) and Ico is stunning. As much as I love my PC and the gaming experiences it brings, there are some experiences the black box on my TV can deliver that the black box on my desk can't. And the purple box (GCN) has it's own brand of awesome as well. Don't knock a platform just because you don't like the controls (I can never bring myself to play a console shooter anyway) or the company or the look or whatever. Every box has a unique awesome to bring to a room.

And Scabb, I'm sorry. I know admitting this in a primarily European forum (from what I've gathered anyway...) may be suicide, but I don't like soccer...

I'm a Canadian, man. I needs mah hockey, but that's really the only sport I've ever been able to get into.

P.S. Go Leafs Go! Set to dominate the new and improved NHL!

yeah we're under stocked in african, asian and south american people :/

Sometimes I wish I had a TV and a PS2 so I could play ico, rez amd all those other very cool titles out there. but I'm affraid I will never own a PS2. Maybe I'll never own a TV either.

Yeah, and for multiplatform releases, I would agree with you about the PC being the better choice. With notable exceptions of course (Ugh. Nightfire...) The sad truth is though that not everything is multiplatform, and if you've got the opportunity to pick up a system for a quater of the retail price, you jump on it.

I have to say though, I may have been spoiled by the Wavebird, but after a day or two with the PS2 controller, my thumbs hurt. I think it's that you need to press the X button with your knuckle if you're going to do multiple presses, while the other systems just need you to roll your thumb and not force it. Oh well...

You haven't had the joy of the RSI inducing PSP analogue stick? Played someone's import a couple of days ago... The graphics are sweet, the analogue stick sucks arse.

Imagine the pain multiplied, and spreading from your thumb to your wrist.

Also, SNK vs Capcom 2, for 2D beat-em-up styling (or a PSone version of streetfighter alpha 3) is the best verson on any console.

I've had the joy of the PSP stick. It is kind of balls, isn't it? still, the D-pad isn't much better. Did you try Darkstalkers? It's near fuckin impossible to press two directions at once. I'd say you've got about a 1/5 chance of doing it even if you're taking great care about it. This of course makes combos incredibly rare...

Get Gregory Horror Show. It's a genious game and although it looks like a kids game, there's some really disturbing underlying themes ;)

Also get Gitaroo Man! True beauty. AND NEO CONTRA!!!!