Bc9b

Longhorn sounding funnier every day

It just looks like XP with a different skin

I browsed these forums unhappily.

Then I chanced on this thread.

Oh man, hahahaha, Chris is right, it looks exactly like XP but a different colour.

Now I'm smiling. Microsoft just cheered me up.

I still don't understand if they're continuing windows or what? As far as I know, Longhorn isn't a continuation of windows. It's the most famous fucking product in the world, why would they want to discontinue or rename it? Could somebody explain? I feel I am missing something ;(

Like everyone has alreaedy said, it looks like XP. I really don't even care that much about Longhorn. Microsoft is having so many problems with it that it could turn out to be another Windows ME.

I don't even like the XP skin. Sure it's pretty, but it just seems to be a lot easier for me to use the Windows classic design.

The only reason I have XP is because there aren't making any games that work on Windows 98 (unless it's SE), so I guess I won't be getting Longhorn... :blink:

It just looks like XP with a different skin
My thoughts exactly. But it does look good. I hope there won't be too much reason to upgrade though when it comes out -- XP is good enough for me (I'm using the classic style, don't like the XP look).

I'll probably go to Longhorn. Why not? Sure, it's trendy to laugh at the upcoming Windows release, but the reality is that computing moves on. Just because there isn't some massive revolutionary new visual difference between XP and the screenshots doesn't mean there aren't significant OS-level changes. As it stands, Microsoft is promising faster boot and S1 recovery time, fsater app launching, and fewer reboots on upgrade. Sounds good to me.

And for the record, I use the XP style, albeit the silver/green one, not the stupid blue/green one.

I'll probably go to Longhorn. Why not? Sure, it's trendy to laugh at the upcoming Windows release, but the reality is that computing moves on. Just because there isn't some massive revolutionary new visual difference between XP and the screenshots doesn't mean there aren't significant OS-level changes. As it stands, Microsoft is promising faster boot and S1 recovery time, fsater app launching, and fewer reboots on upgrade. Sounds good to me.

Agreed.

And for the record, I use the XP style, albeit the silver/green one, not the stupid blue/green one.

Hey, I use that too. :tup:

Yufster: Longhorn is just a codename, just as Windows 95 was called Chicago for a long time, and erm I don't remember the other codenames.

The new recycle bin looks... much like one of those plastic cups that hang besides a watercooler.

Oh yeah man, Windows XP is so fucked up and all that and I still remember when I used to build my own machines and they were like as big as houses and way back then computing was really hardcore, you know. We cut our programms out of paper! Punchcards MoFu... hahahahahahahahahaha

XP is brilliant and I hope Longhorn will be a worthy successor.

Does anyone know if Microsoft is going to imitate the OS X Spotlight thingy? That would be great. But hey maybe this time in two years, I'll be running Windows in a native emulation Window on my Intel powered Mac :grin:

BTW: I recently did an install on an old Win98 SE machine and it's just too painfull for words to describe.

Yufster: Longhorn is just a codename, just as Windows 95 was called Chicago for a long time, and erm I don't remember the other codenames.

Whistler was Windows XP, and I think Windows 98 was called Atlanta.

Whistler is a skiing mountain in Canada, and Blackcomb (Windows after Longhorn, apparently) is another. Longhorn is some sort of bar/place in between the two.

:fries:

Um, I got everything I need out of Windows on my current computer. Next up for me is a Mac running on Intel Inside!

Spotlight is just the product of a really good plugin-capable search indexer, so I would guess Longhorn will have something similar. Too bad they dumped WinFS for Longhorn, because the database backend FS probably would have made realtime content indexing easy as hell.

I like how the third screengrab down has an advert for firefox totally cussing up ie.

Wasn't 98 called Cairo? I think there was one called Memphis as well.

I think there was also a Nashville... or something, that was also called windows 96? Not really sure, but I once saw something like that at someone's who was really into piracy and was downloading all kinds of crazy shit from BBS-s all the time. That was probably a beta or something.

I agree with Doug though -- if there are good enough reasons (better performance seems good enough), I'll upgrade.

I'll probably go to Longhorn. Why not? Sure, it's trendy to laugh at the upcoming Windows release, but the reality is that computing moves on.

Yeah. And by the time Microsoft moves on and releases this damned (DRM-infested, no doubt) operating system, Apple will be making Intel-based Macs. Why bother getting something that rips a lot out of OSX when you can have the original? I'll probably get one of them new Macs.

(Note, I am NOT an Apple guy, though I work with one and he's annoying.)

I dunno what I'll do about longhorn. I ran 98 for two years after XP came out before finally upgrading, so I may do something similar. Come on, Microsoft. Wow me. I've got consoles to feed (not an X-Box though. I have my pride...) and I'll need a damn good reason to blow money on a new OS instead of just getting another game.

Those transparent window boarders look pretty neat. But I guess they will become boring after a while and I can start complaining that they are only using resources unnecessarily. I must agree though, it's inside that counts, and I hope the result will be good.

I liked the codename, although it sometimes made me think of Bill Gates with devilish horns (and I really don't have anything against Bill or Microsoft). Windows Vista, in other hand, is just awfully lame name. It makes me think of being in some old car. Don't know how old exactly, but not nostalgic.

The official name, like every Microsoft hip product, is Windows Vista, Yo.

Deuce!

---

Edit: Oh, I get it... it's like what you see through a window... we call that Vista in Spanish: the View.

Hmm... I guess Vista is no weirder than 'XP' was when that came out. Still bizarre, though.

I don't mind this name so much. A little cheesy, sure, but I think it's far worse to have two random letters that may or may not stand for "experience".