Sign in to follow this  
SiN

Double Fine Action News

hey,

right, so i'm sure that, like me, all of you read double fine action news. i always feel like collectively laughing at 'em or just plain talking about em, but there was never a place to do so ... UNTIL NOW!

Oh man. I am sick today. I am home and I am dizzy and I'm not so sure that everything inside of me wants to be there.

Please note, however, that I am still able to update the action news. My reach is infinite. No matter where I am, I can still touch people's lives, with joy. Touch!

Oh, whoops! That was supposed to be joy, but I think I just touched you with the influenza virus. Sorry. But don't worry. It's not so bad. Hey... can I have a private word with your intestines for a second? Thanks.

(Hey, intestines! RUN!)

is it just me, or does anyone get a sneaking suspicion that Schafer dropped a subtle hint with that "Touch!" line. I dunno about everyone else, but it stuck out for me ... its prolly cos i'm hopelessly hooked onto Meteos, but still ... could double fine be making a DS game?

SiN

I really hope that Doublefine is making a DS game, it would probably be the easiest way for them to make money (which they probablly really need seeing that Psychonauts isn't doing well). It's a lot cheaper to make and it would sell well since there's a lack of games for the DS and creative games actually sell well on the DS. Plus it would be a lot easier to convert to other languages, hopefully meaning that it would also sell well in Japan because they like oddball stuff.

But I think he meant "Touch" as in, he touched you and now you have a horrible disease.

is it just me, or does anyone get a sneaking suspicion that Schafer dropped a subtle hint with that "Touch!" line. I dunno about everyone else, but it stuck out for me ... its prolly cos i'm hopelessly hooked onto Meteos, but still ... could double fine be making a DS game?

That seems pretty out there but I guess you never know. A DS game could be neat but then I would be thrilled if Double Fine were simply making a game.

There are some hilarious posts from earlier on, such as when Tim was trying to get his copyrighted catch phrase to take off, and when he boasted about his mobile phone's wallpaper being better than yours, and when the DFAC became sentient and apologised for threatening to destroy all humankind, and the whole mouse business.

I like how that catch phrase actually ended up being a line in Psychonauts. I wonder if he wrote it for Psychonauts or the news first.

Don't you have to get some expensive DS development kits before you can even make a game? I believe there are serious extra charges when making one of those that might put a developer off of doing only one game for it. But I could be completely mistaken.

From the jobs page:

"The ideal candidate has a minimum of 5 years experience in games programming, with at least 1 published console or PC networking title. Published games should reflect experience with PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and/or PC development (familiarity with Xenon is a plus)"

Also, I think DS dev kits cost something like $4000