Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Nokia cocked by N-Gage rage

Recent updates on UK:Resistance have encouraged an employee from a company that I, as well as practically the whole UK Idlethumbs staff have once worked for, to reveal the idiotic conditions forced upon QA testers required to test N-Gage games.

Read all about it, it's all true.

The Nokia room was after my time at that Company, but applying for an N-Gage dev kit requires to have secure premises that Nokia can inspect at any time, and you have to be willing to indemnify them for several hundred thousand euros if any of their IP leaks.

Ironically, given Nokia's protection of their own IP, they ran a competition a while back for new N-Gage titles. Amongst the rules was a clause giving them sole ownership of all the IP for all entries, including any patents that might be used. That put me off even thinking about entering.

Graeme

I don't see why they're so worried about someone stealing their stuff. It's not like anyone would want a game for the n-gage.

Maybe they're used to a different kind of software development. I wonder if Nokia drivers and firmware and such are made in much the same ridiculous secrecy.

Here are some Haikus inspired by the NCAGE and written by some of the testers

i dont know how i found these or who wrote them

honest.

working in fear of finn

pretending to give a shit

what an irony

Phone designed for games

What a complete peice of shit

Testing makes me mad

Room of Nokia,

oppresses those who remain.

Testers babble on.