Sign in to follow this  
MrHoatzin

Batman Begins. Verdict:

I finally got to see this movie, naturally in the first preview show in Finland today. Here's my mini-review:

Holy batshit! Bale kicked Keaton's ass! Bale IS Batman.

The movie was excellent, clearly the best comic book hero movie of the last 10 years. My favourite is still Donner's Superman, but this movie deserves :tup: :tup:

I was concerned about the star power in this movie, but everyone fit in to their roles perfectly, except Holmes, but even she wasn't that bad.

The quick cut close-up action ain't really my thing, but I guess it was ok in the end.

And I really loved the ending scene, the sequel is going to be simply awesome.

I have to say I wasn't a fan of the 'quick cut' fighting either. They could have done better there.

I prefer to call it the "the camera man is getting his ass beat and can't record the scene" method of cinimatography.

Other than that the film was the best Batman movie ever. I need more. I want to own it.

I loved the immense depth of the character, and Bale did a great job of pulling it off. As said before, taken by a line-by-line basis, the screenplay was occasionally a bit weak, but as a whole it was amazing.

However, I would only rate the movie as 'good'. It struck me as a bit bland, and at times 'stagey' in all the wrong ways. Beyond what the screenplay brought to it, there didn't seem to be a lot of depth or density present - it seemed to be more concerned with going through the motions and getting from one point to another in the script, leaving little time for engaging touches along the periphery which often lend so much to other movies that I enjoy more.

There are other minor issues that I had with it, but they're all nitpickery and in the end are not really important, except for the fact that the music was absolutely awful in its insipidity.

I'm glad I went, but it was only enjoyable, and nothing more.

Did anyone burst into a fit of uncontrollable giggling when Batman 'picked up' Mr fat-cop and was all "WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR!? WHERE ARE THE DRUGS!?" Christian Bale's gruff "Batman" voice is ace. I'm going to use it when I tuck my children in at night.

Ace movie though. Full points!

"I swear to god!"

"SWEAR TO ME!"

Far be it from me to break from the BB love-in here, so I won't :yep:

Great movie, certainly my favourite Batman to date. Bale just nails the character perfectly (perhaps now hollywood'll wake up and give him more of the roles he deserves), and fellow Irishman Cillian Murphy gives us probably the best villan since Nicholson's Joker. Still didn't Like it quite as much as Sin City, but still fantastic. The intro was a little plodding in parts, which may come off worse in repeat viewings, but that's only a minor gripe really.

I prefer Burton's first one. BB was more realistic, yep, but who really cares about perfect realism in a batman film? not me, anyway.

Some much better lines in Batman, the batmobile looked better (it sounded better in BB though), and the plot of the second half of BB seemed to be pretty derivative of the first one, not neccesarily a bad thing, but still.

Gary Oldman was brilliant though.

"I never said thankyou..."

"AND YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TO"

Batman is just Bruce Wayne with Caps Lock on.

WOW, I LOVED BALE'S BATMAN VOICE!

"Who the fuck are you?"

"ME? I'M BATMAN."

Classic line delivered perfectly... hmmm

I do have to say that I thought they tossed a lot of potential for an intrigueing storyline out the window by the way they dealt with the Scarecrow! That guy can seriously act! He scared the beejeezus out of me! The way he puts on the mask when he's talking to Falcone! WOW BEST VILLAIN EVER WASTED! Actually that was my only BIG gripe, I actually found the scarecrow much better than Neeson's character!

i loved it too. even more than sin city (which you can't beat on aesthetics) but that's probably because i'm more familiar with batman. christian bale was *cough* very impressive and the supporting cast was excellent with the exception of katie holmes. if they can just quit with the bits where batman tells the world and his wife that he's really bruce wayne the sequel will be awesome.

well since Holmes is not going to be in the next one (WIN!!!) there is going to be another one of those lame revelatory moments (yawn) but I am really intrigued as to the identity of the new joker! and I think that this is definitely the best Batman yet, even though I am a huge fan of Nicholson's joker, the realness of the new setting gives a whole new meaning to the term "character development" in the comic-adaptation genre... nice