Sign in to follow this  
Thrik

Battlefield 2 demo.

Yeah, I'm almost done downloading it now. It took forever to get a link for it that worked though.

I'm still downloading (Pirate Bay-torrent), so I doubt I'll get to play tonight. I liked the BF1942 demo a lot when it came out, but I never actually bought the game, even though friends told me that I should have. Hopefully it'll be as good, or better, this time.

Ok, so it's a pretty fun game. It's basically what you would expect, battlefield 1942 with more stuff and better graphics. I wish people would know what teamwork is though.

I haven't played the previous Battlefield games, nonetheless this is about what I expected it to be. Different roles. Different spawns. Different weapons. Not much cooperation online. Yadda yadda, same old. Not that it's bad or anything, I can see it becoming addictive for a few weeks, but I've seen this game before a dozen times over.

Just downloaded the demo. Think I'll play it tomorrow or something. Just had to get it as soon as I saw it, so I could discard it just as quickly. Mmmmmmm, frugal.

Plus, my girlfriend wont let me play. How's that for love? :shifty:

I thought Battlefield 1942 was alright, fun to play for a bit, but I prefer Day of Defeat or UT2004. :gaming:

Meh, the demo doesn't seem all that impressive to me. Just more of the same, as others have said. I'll probably buy it much like I did the first one: discovering it and its add ons in a clearance section of some store phasing out its PC games for about fifteen bucks total and buying it on a whim because everyone can't shut up about it.

It also annoyed me that I had to install the newest* NVIDIA drivers in order to play it. I quickly swapped back to my Omega's as soon as I got tired of it.

*See also: extremely buggy

I'm quite enjoying this demo actually. :yep: I keep comming top of the scoreboard, therefore it's a good game.

It's still not a patch on planetside though.

Yeah, I usually end up in first place as well, which is better than what I got in BF 1942, and way better than BF:Vietnam (in which I sucked ass). I'm not sure why it seems easier, the same thing happened with me and the transition from CS to CS Source.

ok, I'll admit it. This post was just made to brag about my BF2 skills

If you judge PlanetSide as a one-time fee, non-mmo game then sure, I suppose it can be considered better than Battlefield 2. Take into account the monthly fee, complete lack of long-term variety in gameplay, thoroughly poor non-vehicular combat and the fairly lame content additions, however, and it soon begins to lose its dominance.

I've been playing a lot of Battlefield 2 thus far, and have found it very awesome. The infantry combat feels right, unlike its predecessors, with damage actually being acceptable and you not feeling like you're made of plastic, whilst firing plastic bullets. The vehicles are also great fun, but carefully balanced so that a skilled infantry can very easily take one down.

For what is a server based game, they've really gotten the feeling of being in a large scale war spot on. I hear that there'll be much larger maps in the final release, which is very reassuring. In addition, there'll be grassy maps -- which is always good, being my favourite theme! This game clearly has a nice future ahead of it, and I'll definitely be putting some of my money into it once it comes out.

OK, level with me. As someone who has managed to avoid all of the Battlefield games so far, will I enjoy this if I download the demo? Or will I just get pissed off by the snipers?

Actually, the sniper rifle kinda sucks in this game. It's no where near as annoying as it could be in BF 1942. Most people seem like they're just assault or anti-tank.

I quite like the snipers. Being them that is. Why is it though that the US sniper rifles require a reload after every shot and the MEC sniper rifles are semi automatic and have a 10 round clip. This seems a little unfair to me :shifty:

OK, level with me. As someone who has managed to avoid all of the Battlefield games so far, will I enjoy this if I download the demo? Or will I just get pissed off by the snipers?

As someone that has managed to avoid all of the Battlefield games so far, the snipers aren't that major of a nuissance. Enemy snipers will annoy you far less than soloing team-mates that can't even be bothered to pick you up in a vehicle when you're out in the middle of nowhere getting shot at by some distant sniper.

The game is good, but like many online games, the quality really depends on the server and the people playing in it. I was in a 32 vs 20 people game the other day :frusty:

I didn't play the previous two games (other than 1942's prerelease demo), and I don't find the snipers in this game an issue at all. In fact, I think I've only been killed by one a handful of times during the many hours I've dedicated to it this far. It's primarily ground soldiers and vehicles which you'll come up against, and most of the infantry combat is genuinely fun.

And yes, it's largely down to the community. For the Europeans of you, 82.192.81.191 is a great server with regards to general gameplay. The teams are pretty much always fair (helped by the autobalancing), the players are decently teamworky, and there is no time limit -- games can last for absolutely ages, until the game's tickets are used up. If you see lamarr.the.headcrab, you've found me.

As someone that has managed to avoid all of the Battlefield games so far, the snipers aren't that major of a nuissance. Enemy snipers will annoy you far less than soloing team-mates that can't even be bothered to pick you up in a vehicle when you're out in the middle of nowhere getting shot at by some distant sniper.

The game is good, but like many online games, the quality really depends on the server and the people playing in it. I was in a 32 vs 20 people game the other day :frusty:

GAH, IF ONE MORE HELICOPTER TAKES OFF AS I'M RUNNING TOWARD IT TO BE CO-PILOT I'M SHOOTING EA.

Anyway, nothing's more annyoing as being in the middle of nowhere, getting hope that a friendly tank is coming toward you, preparing to get on.........and the fucker runs you over.

The one map that everyone uses is the demo really isn't all that big though. You hardly get stuck in the middle of nowhere, 10 seconds sprint and you're back to somewhere useful.

I'm enjoying it more and more, never played any of the previous ones but I will probably get the game on release.

its quite enjoyable but its tough to learn to fly those helis and aircraft :P i mean i can fly them and manouvre pretty well but actually killing something is a whole different story

Yes, this map is more suited to 32 players in my opinion. You get the right about of people and vehicle usage without it becoming too crowded. This is supposedly one of the smallest maps in the final release though, and I've seen pictures of some really big Chinese maps (who are the third army, incidentally) which should take advantage of the 64 man servers.

I want in on this BF2 Demo thread too :) And hi by the way, I am an all Enemy Territory (ET)addict now adays being in top 2% of the players according to csports.net (yay), so I kinda forget about other games. :)

Anyway, I tried the BF2 demo and I laughed my ass off for flying the helichopper like a pinball-machine with tilt!! :) Woke up my gf in the middle of the night because I laughed so hard!! :D Will try the full game, and hope the game have lots of fun hours for me.

Its bad for me though because the the "hitboxes" or "spread of bullets" is so incredible big. You need to push "aim button" and lie down on the ground more or less to be SURE to kill your enemies from 3-5 meters away in 1-3 seconds. In ET the "spead of bullets" on the WW2 weapons are better than the new weapons in BF2. And there is no hit-sounds available in BF2. Hehe, the ET addics gets insane about that. :shroom: So when I have played BF2 demo and comes back to ET, I get so suckered. My aim is totally ruined then. baawaa. :) BF2 is really nice, since it has vehicles and you carry passangers in them and they shoot from there too. With Quake Wars Enemy Territory I can have a mix of the ET-geniuos play with vehicles, yay :) Although with lasers and stuff, and no WW2 genre, but the Splashdamage guys who did Wolf ET are super-geniouses and the game will be superaddictive as ET is now yay! :)

Oh, here is a 300MB 35 min long ingame-video from the full BF2 game, that is something "extra" compared to gamespot videos and the rest. Clan "Soul Existence" made it out of 3 hours of their own footage: Its downloadable through filefront ----> http://files.filefront.com/Battlefield_2_Retail_Video_SE2;3893024;/fileinfo.html

It feels exactly like the BF:2 patch modern combat (I think that's what it was called) there is almost no progression at all in game play, the only new character type is the medic (haven't seen that in any other FPS ¬¬) and the destructible scenery translates into one bridge in the game that can be destroyed (plus a few other things) I think that could be scripted in quake 1.

The BF formula is one that needs really good team work to play well, so unless you are in a clan the only fun way (imo) to play it is get a group of your mates together and then play against bots, but that feature has been taken out in this game.

Not a good game in my mind. Promised too much did not deliver.