Sign in to follow this  
loonyboi

Any non-video gamers out there?

Anyone out there play non-video, non-PC games?

I'm just getting into Warhammer 40,000 (the tabletop game, not the RTS...although that was fun, if short) and am just curious if anyone else around here is as nerdy as I am.

:nerd:

I haven't played any Warhammer 40K in a while, even though I had a nice little Space Wolves army (probably about 800 points or so, not enough to really play anything serious) some time ago. I even subscribed to White Dwarf, the Games Workshop official magazine, for a year, which was very nerdy but still pretty fun. I don't mean to say I was a hardcore fanatic, but for some time I thought it was a great way to waste money and time.

After a while I realized that I didn't play enough to warrant more purchases, even though the painting was probably the bit I liked the most. So I just stopped, right after the Tau were released. Not sure when that might have been, probably about two years ago. So yeah... uh, I'm currently not as nerdy, but I once was!

I started playing Warhammer (not 40k) in about 1994 and played fairly consistently until about 2002. That was always my main game but I also played 40k, Necromunda, Blood Bowl, Space Hulk, Gothic (for a very short time), Epic 40k (also for a short time), and Gorkamorka (again, not for long). In the last couple years it's been really tough for me to play but I should really try to get a game going with some of my buddies.

I used to play dungeons and dragons, but now I don't since I have no friends to play it with (which is even worse than playing it with friends). I think the fact that they made 3.5 edition rules right after they released 3.0 edition rules also killed interest for me. I didn't want to buy another set of books after already getting 2nd edition and 3rd edition rules. I did play it enough though where I started to paint some of the pieces. I used to play heroclix as well, which was a turn based game where you make a team of superheroes and fight other people. I don't play that anymore though since I kinda got tired of it. I also played magic the gathering a little bit until I realized that was a scam.

I should learn how to play warhammer though, I bought a ton of warhammer stuff (the original, 40k, and space hulk) for a really cheap price but never bothered to learn it.

I started playing Warhammer (not 40k) in about 1994 and played fairly consistently until about 2002. That was always my main game but I also played 40k, Necromunda, Blood Bowl, Space Hulk, Gothic (for a very short time), Epic 40k (also for a short time), and Gorkamorka (again, not for long). In the last couple years it's been really tough for me to play but I should really try to get a game going with some of my buddies.

Damn, you got around.

I'm just getting started...I picked up the battle for macragge set, and am having a blast painting and building the stuff. That has starter sets for the Ultramarines and Tyranid armies in it, so it's a good place to dip my toe in the water. My wife has volunteered to play with me once I've put it all together, so we'll see how that goes.

Heh, I just started feeling like I should blow some cash on new Warhammer stuff, thanks to this thread...

Maybe I should buy one of those Inquisitor-models, one of the larger ones, and paint it up. I'll probably never play it but to me it sounds like a fun project. An army is too big of an undertaking at this point though, so one rather large miniature sounds pretty good :grin:

I played Texas Hold'em too for a while, but couldn't stand the long sessions other people wanted to play (usually 5 hours at least... aargh). Couple of my friends still play it a lot, they've started getting pretty high rankings in tournaments.

Nick, Spaff and I (plus friends) used to play a bunch of Games Workshop games years ago. Warhammer 40K, WH Fantasy Battle, Warhammer Quest, Blood Bowl, Necromunder (and its precursor Confrontation), Advanced Space Crusade, a little bit of Epic....

We might have a small game of something sometime for nostalgic value, and I still have the occasional urge to paint something.

Yeah, we must of stopped playing about 94/95 though. When it went rubbish :oldman:

I think I tried Games Workshop once, it didn't last long though. I bought some dwarves and a catapult and painted them up pretty good, but my collection didn't get much beyond that. It's a very in-depth hobby, and you need people to plan your purchases and play with, but everyone lost interest around the same time. I can see why people enjoy it.

In the past I've played word games a lot, but Boggle and Scrabble are only great if you're a winner, and I usually lose. Also, lots of sets of Top Trumps back at school. I sure miss playing with my deck of non-licensed generic aliens/space-people.

The only card games I can think of that I know are Blackjack, Pontoon, Rummy, and Shithead, but those are cool. Sometimes it's kinda nice winding down an evening with a few card games.

I still have some friend with an ongoing Forgotten Realms campaign, 11 years and going strong, even though now we only get to play during vacations (kids, jobs, family and university ...) but I still love it. Never adapted to 3rd edition rules though I got a call from one of the guys just recently and he got into Neverwinter Nights big time and really enjoyed building up his character.

I also still have an ongoing selfcreated universe that I play from time to time with some other guys and that is always very interesting storywise (even though I DM). So I guess in that area I am as nerdy as can be ;)

Never got into Warhammer, it's all about the imagination for me. I got a little bit into Battletech but never got to buy stuff apart from the books ;)

I used to play magic the gathering quite a bit. I still have a deck or 2 gathering dust around here somewhere. The closest I got to playing Warhammer 40k was Starquest:

I now sometimes play Colonists of catan and carcasone by 999 games

Started with Ice Age and ended sometime after 6th edition. A friend of mine works at a card store, and everytime I visit him I'm amazed by all the completely unfamiliar and weird Magic sets out there.

I sold all my cards long ago, though I still have most of my Star Wars CCG cards. Never did get a Darth Vader card, though, damnit. Had his ship, though.

As for now... I played one game of Scrabble last weekend. That's about it. The good thing about PC/video games is that you don't need to have friends to be able to play them. :deranged:

I've not played warhammer, but I played Battle For Armageddon last year.

(Its a board game that GW made prior to warhammer, same universe)

It was a break from the norm, as we usually play german board games.

I've never played any of those games in my life (except Jenga, possibly). I once got invited to a D&D tournament by a customer who kept following me ;(

I used to play/read all those Choose Your Own Adventure books though... you know, the ones where you had to keep a chart with all your items, levels, skills etc., and use dice to determine the outcome of battles and such. They were so cool.

The Choose Your Own Adventure books I read just told you to make a decision and turn to a page...

There were tons of those. The best obviously from the hands of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. I'm a big fan. Especially the recent editions are a gift from the heavens. They have little random dice combo's printed at the bottom of the page so you don't have to roll anymore. You just flip.

Oh I love those things. Favourite ones: Creature of Havoc (Jackson), City of Thieves (Livingstone), Citadel of Chaos (Jackson I believe).

I've still got some fairly strong Magic the Gathering skills, though I don't really play seriously anymore (Once a year maybe). Sometimes we get big multiplayer games going though, 5/6 people and that can be terribly fun, especially seeing as you don't need to keep up with new sets or spend all your money on cards for multiplayer games.

My university has a games convention every January for just this sort of stuff, it's pretty cool. RPGs, wargames, LARPs, cardgames and so on. It's a pretty good weekend, trying games you've never played before.

Also: PIRATES

The Choose Your Own Adventure books I read just told you to make a decision and turn to a page...

Yeah they were great too. They were like Sierra Adventures. You just died for absolutely no reason, all the time.

But the ones with dice and items and stuff, wow, they were great.

I play DnD version 3.5 pretty regularly with my friends. I must have one of the most non-stereotypical gamer groups (All gay guys, I'm the token heterosexual female,and a token heterosexual male).

I also play board games on a regular basis like

Usurppee

Citadel

Illuminati

Maharaja

Category 5

Caesar and Cleopatra

NukeWar

Coloretto

RoboRally

I have a friend who has 100+ games and he likes to throw a lot of boardgame parties.

As for card games - I've played Babylon 5:CCG and Magic the Gathering.

I have recently got back into my Warhammer 40,000 in a big way but mostly for the painting side. I've got a serious collection of around 250 - 300 Orks from Freebooters to the hulking Mega Armour orks and all in between. I haven't actually sat and played a 2,500 point battle in a while, though. In my old age it's become more about working on conversions and modelling scenery.

There's an official painting comp this September at the NEC for anyone who is good at painting. The competition is very very high though.

post-89-13375602842727_thumb.jpg

There's an official painting comp this September at the NEC for anyone who is good at painting. The competition is very very high though.

There's no way I'll ever get good enough to compete, but I'm definitely getting the hang of it.

I've been trying to figure out a way to photograph or scan my models, but so far I'm having no luck at all. My digital camera(s) can't zoom in enough for a clear image, and my attempts to scan them haven't fared much better.

I recommend taking a normal shot and then run it through Photoshop to crop out the excess you dont want in the shot. Use a high quality setting so it doesn't blur when you crop. Dont use flash, but instead, use a spotlight (IKEA do a good one) to generate light for detail. I find the flash on my digi just washes the detail out of the Orks.