Sign in to follow this  
General Fuzzy McBitty

San Andreas (PC)

I really liked this game. Maybe it's that I NEVER played the GTAs for the random violence and instead have always been into this series for the story. The story was satisfying, and I treated the sandbox stuff like I always have. Pull out a rocket launcher every now and then, but largely just ignore it. I got all I needed from it, now I've moved on to God of War (playing catch-up on the PS2 right now, quite enjoyable). In a month, I'll be playing Liberty City Stories and be right back to ignoring the sandbox yet again.

I think the missions individually are probably the best in any GTA game so far. And I really like most of the individual "sandboxy" features. But indeed the glue that held it all together felt much stronger in Vice City.

I still think it's a great game, though.

Some of the scripted action sequences were cool, the 'terminator' style one is awesome. as is the helicopter chase sequence heh, they are impressive and really well scripted but actually playing the missions isnt quite as fun. the missions are so scripted that it leaves little room for the random factor. Follow a train (on rails) follow this follow that.

what happened to all the weird random missions of vice city? :(

who's clerver idea was it to make the special melee attack button 'return'??? oh well done you idiot!

yeah its good, just not as good as previous ones...

Having gotten bored almost immediately with the first GTA and skipping the second, I've only just bought GTA III. I would have picked up Vice City, but I'd heard San Andreas was a million times better.

From what I've seen of it, GTA III is good fun, with an excellent sense of humour. Is Vice City really the best one of the series?!

mm.

I think perhaps instead of creating an ubermassive gameworld and then realising they didn't have enough content to make it as "busy" as the previous ones, they should have worked on upping the graphical fidelity a little. Even on PC, on my new 6800GT with the graphic detail maxed out, I'm still occasionally /horrified/ at how utterly shitty some of the textures look. i guess that's the penalty of shoehorning a huge environment onto the PS2, and then porting to other platforms, but jesus christ...

Hopefully the GTA MMO (which I am sure they're working on) will be next-gen console and PC based, will look stunning, and will let me execute anyone who laughs at my characters inferior muscle tone, and penchant for Cluckin Bell.

:shifty:

Is Vice City really the best one of the series?!

It's all personal opinion. It's not my favourite, although I didn't finish it and maybe I didn't play enough of it and it is somehow better than the other two.

I really liked San Andreas the most. The storyline was fun, and the missions were very balanced and doable. Also living in San Francisco, the game really felt like playing at home :)

I remember in VC being stuck for a few days on the damn RV missions, and there were at least a few of them. Also for a game that took place near the water, it was so lame that you don't know how to swim. There was nothing more frustrating than going on a long boat mission, just to die when stepping out of the boat :shifty: And how about the ability to climb? How many times were you stuck in a corner not able to fend off the cops.

On the other hand, San Andreas was definitely not perfect. There was a lot of unnecessary driving and the environment did feel empty because of the size of it. But I thought there was enough variety in the gameplay that it kept it interesting for me, after 50+ hours of gameplay.