Sign in to follow this  
General Fuzzy McBitty

San Andreas (PC)

I'm playing the PC version now and again the wrong side of the tracks mission

(where you drive by a train and Smoke shoots the eses on the train)

had me going nuts. I think I completed it in my 10th attempt or so. Most of the other missions are easier on the PC, though. Except I miss auto aiming a bit. But not much.

Playing the PS2 version, i focused on doing the missions, but this time I'll try to do some of the "side-quests" first. Already sprayed all tags... took me some hours with a map. I wonder how long it would have taken without one.

I think the PC version is definitely better, but there are some graphic anomalities (flickering things, transparency problems). Maybe it's an AT problem? At least when the graphics card crashes (quite often actually, possibly my PC-s problem), ATI's drivers will reset it and the game continues after half a minute or so (with default brightness restored, but I can change it back with shortcut keys in-game).

Yeah it's definitely a problem with either ATI or your PC. Mine hasn't crashed once, and I'm using NVIDIA. The game does say plays best on NVIDIA ;)

As far as the auto aiming goes, you do have that in the PC version as well. If you go to configure buttons, you can choose which buttons you map it to. If you use a gamepad, it plays exactly like the PS2 version, but with much better graphics and a custom sound track. Seriously, the PS2 version sucks when you get to play the PC one. I was turned off from the moment I couldn't recognize what the hell those tiny blimps on the mini map where (and they are very very integral for not getting lost).

Hey guys, did you know that if you download some mod you can view a sex minigame with your ingame girlfriend? Talk about hot.

How do I get rid of my muscles? The muscle stat used to be low, but then I spent an entire days worth of workout time lifting weights and have about half of the maximum muscles... now I don't know how to get rid of them. Instead, they keep growing...

i personally don't like san andreas. used to like vice city though.. because of the atmosphere. i find san andreas too "hip-hop" for me :grin:

although i like the acid house radio with the gay german dj. funny as hell and the music is great... nostalgic and shit. i like acid house.

although you can do so much in that came, i just don't like the vibe.

I liked the "vibe" of Vice City more as well.

The automatic "photo gallery" in the PC version is pretty cool. I had no idea how many shots I'd taken till I just now browsed the directory. Many of the photos are crappy angle shots from hunting the San Fierro snapshot icons (and I think that feature was a bit sucky -- I mostly have to zoom in on the icon so far that what's on the photo will be indistinguishable) but some have turn out quite good. And it's a fun look back at what you've done in the game.

I played San Andreas until I had the whole territory unlocked... then, I stopped going through the main plot. Right now, my great pleasure is to load the game in Las Venturas, get a motorcycle and ride around in the desert teasing the police in the desert while listening to WCTR and mainly all the radios. I play for 15 minutes or so and, I don't know why, this makes me feel relax.

I played San Andreas until I had the whole territory unlocked... then, I stopped going through the main plot. Right now, my great pleasure is to load the game in Las Venturas, get a motorcycle and ride around in the desert teasing the police in the desert while listening to WCTR and mainly all the radios. I play for 15 minutes or so and, I don't know why, this makes me feel relax.
In Vice City, after I had completed the main plot, I also sometimes took a motorcycle, drove around and listened to my favourite MP3's on the "user track station" -- it made me feel relaxed too. I'll probably do the same in SA.

I've usually listened through the talk stations during taxi missions.

How do I get rid of my muscles? The muscle stat used to be low, but then I spent an entire days worth of workout time lifting weights and have about half of the maximum muscles... now I don't know how to get rid of them. Instead, they keep growing...

Don't eat and run around a lot. If you don't have Fat to burn, you will start to burn muscle instead. Assuming you can be bothered, if you are trying to pick up that pesky Redneck chick it might be better to see if she responds to higher Sex Appeal than to waste time starving yourself emo.

Don't eat and run around a lot. If you don't have Fat to burn, you will start to burn muscle instead. Assuming you can be bothered, if you are trying to pick up that pesky Redneck chick it might be better to see if she responds to higher Sex Appeal than to waste time starving yourself emo.

If you have to eat to gain health, eat salad, as they have 0 fat.

If you want to get fat, I suggest eating the largest meal. You can eat around 10 or 11 without puking. Also, you can have a gut and a 6 pack at the same time.

If you want your character to lose muscle, it can be a real pain in the ass. What I ended up doing to date that emo-fetish chick was to just have my character stand in a safe spot, then go watch a movie. When I got back, CJ was at about half muscle (from 100%). That was enough to get the date.

If you want your character to lose muscle, it can be a real pain in the ass. What I ended up doing to date that emo-fetish chick was to just have my character stand in a safe spot, then go watch a movie. When I got back, CJ was at about half muscle (from 100%). That was enough to get the date.

Where do you find this chick?

On the roof of Ammunation in the town with the big factory. Forgot the town's name.

On the roof of Ammunation in the town with the big factory. Forgot the town's name.

Blueberry, near central northern coast of the southern landmass.

If you have to eat to gain health, eat salad, as they have 0 fat.

If you want to get fat, I suggest eating the largest meal. You can eat around 10 or 11 without puking. Also, you can have a gut and a 6 pack at the same time.

Getting fat is cake. Getting less muscley is terribly annoying. I am instead hunting oysters in the hope that that last bit of Sex Appeal will make the emo hick chick ignore my gleaming guns.

Man, they totally forgot to add rewards for doing side quests... Getting money is nice (except when you already have more than enough), but having spent hours hunting down all the cars and oysters, I'm a little disappointed. Not sure what exactly I'd expect as a reward, but ...

It was much nicer when you got a new weapon for every 10 hidden packages in GTA3/Vice City (was it the same in both?)

Man, they totally forgot to add rewards for doing side quests... Getting money is nice (except when you already have more than enough), but having spent hours hunting down all the cars and oysters, I'm a little disappointed. Not sure what exactly I'd expect as a reward, but ...

It was much nicer when you got a new weapon for every 10 hidden packages in GTA3/Vice City (was it the same in both?)

The oysters boost sex appeal.

Money isn't that great a reward. I had several million dollars before I left the first city. I bet on the last horse a lot.

This is the best Playstation to PC adaptor I've seen. Works perfectly on XP, supports two players, both with full vibration support. It's a cinch to install and it's never messed up on me (unlike other adaptors I've used). Plus, it's only £6.99 delivered!

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PC&title=114167

It's fantastic. (The PlayStation controller is approximately 1000 times better than any PC controller I've ever used.) Not sure if they ship it to the US, though.

Damn, and to think I just picked one up from Radio Shack. They're really not that hard to come by... Didn't look quite as nice as that one, but works just fine.

I've been playing this game for a lot of hours now... its not very good is it? i mean... there is hardly ever a time when you have the option of doing more than one mission... its not where near as developed and cool as Vice city.. the soundtrack is crappy, there doesnt seem to be anywhere near the amount of comedy radio as in previous games - ive heard every joke 6000 times now.

just as you get used to an area you leave it, suffer from boring travel times... and the worst sin? no fucking map button, go to the menu and select it.

on top of all that its fun to play for the most part, and i am having fun when I'm doing missions (when I'm not getting lost and chekcing the map) but such a disappointing sequel.

It's such a shame it wasnt made on the pc and ported to consoles first so that story, missions and actual content weren't subsituted for a huge 'sandbox' world, which, whilst entertaining, is never used to it's full potential.

I'm not all the way through the game, and maybe it gets a ton better, but right now its left me feeling a little annoyed that its not better.

;(

I'm still gonna go play it for a bit i guess...

I found a fairly crappy screw up where some optional San Fierro missions turned out to be a part of the story (I skipped them because the RC missions infuriated me until I'd passed the flying school: GRAH! The RC plane mission fails to inform you about some vital controls, like those you need to taxi on the ground).

It didn't break the plot as a whole, but the missions did have some, uh, "character development" in and were thus broken when placed outside of the plot. Before I knew it, I was in Las Venturas planning a heist with some people I hardly knew. When I later went back after completing the story and did the missions I'd missed, the cutscenes were rendered nonsensical.

The hugeness of it coupled with the sheer ropiness of some of the mission design left me with the impression that Rockstar almost bit of more than they could chew.

I also cruised around for a while after completing it, but as you say the world isn't utilised that well. I always thought something that would have improved all of the 3D GTA games was a mission select option as a reward for 100%.

Did anyone find that, having played the previous games to death and exhausting all the possible gameplay opportunities, that they were just focusing on the missions this time around and not really exploring other avenues of entertainment?

Sure, I derived a few novel minutes of glee with activities such as:

* Listening to "Danger Zone" from Top Gun whilst flying about in the Harrier Jet.

* Listening to the Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas Soundtrack whilst driving about in the desert in a red covertible.

* Riding a Harley through the aquaducts while listening to "You Could Be Mine" by Guns 'n' Roses (yes, the slightly T2 inspired mission was great in this regard).

This is something I tended to do a little more ... unintentionally ... in the previous games, but it seems that this time around I was trying to convert the game into a movie-licensed version of Stunt Island. Maybe I'd gotten over the whole exacerbating-police-and-jumping-off-big-stuff thing by the time Vice City came around, but truth be told, I was happier than a pig in shit to go about this for hours, even days, in GTA3, and remember wanting nothing more than a new city to mess about in. So why, having the mother of all sandboxes to explore (and, of course, shoot stuff) in San Andreas, am I still unsatisfied with the game?

I've been playing this game for a lot of hours now... its not very good is it? i mean... there is hardly ever a time when you have the option of doing more than one mission... its not where near as developed and cool as Vice city.. the soundtrack is crappy, there doesnt seem to be anywhere near the amount of comedy radio as in previous games - ive heard every joke 6000 times now.

They seem to have gone for more variety but less "length" from the radio stations, however I think that may be because they randomise the content a bit so you have a good chance of hearing the same stuff over and over again; e.g. I want to hear the damn Faith No More song on Radio X but all I ever get is bloody Danzig... :deranged:

The missions also seem more linear in their arrangement. I think that you get some freedom in the start, and in LV but that is about it. GTAVC was able to have things widen and then narrow quite well.

just as you get used to an area you leave it, suffer from boring travel times... and the worst sin? no fucking map button, go to the menu and select it.

The PC conversions interface is infuriating. The inability to rebind commands to new keys, or rather to rebind all the commands to new keys, and the lack of easy access to maps, or specific weapon slots are things that console folk might have to put up with but there is little excuse for such inattention for PC games. Just smacks of "get it out the door, boys!" to me.