lailoken

Seen any good movies lately?

Dreamwork's The Prince of Egypt ranks among the finest animated movies I've seen. So dark and uncompromising, biblical in tone and yet never patronizing about it.

I've recently seen small parts of A Mighty Wind. Looks awesome. Have to see it sometime soon.

Great Movie, heh, I loved the fact that they were nominated for an Oscar for "Kiss at the End of the Rainbow". Especially because unlike most original songs it was actually performed by the actors. Great stuff.

"All the way up to eleven, dude!"

Sin City - Yeah, yeah. I finally saw it. Holy crap. It's so fucking good. I lowered my expectations because someone told me that "it tries so hard to be cool it becomes unwatchable". This person is now determined to not be a reliable source and will not be listened to again. Sin City is probably the first bluescreen movie that I've seen that I actually thought was really good.

Dogville - Why do people like this movie so much? I stopped watching it twice. I liked the mise-en-scene, but the script... ARGH. I could barely sit through it. This film did not work for me.

Hero - I like it. I liked the colors. Though I prefer House of the Flying Daggers. I really liked the love story that was at the core of that film. I'm not quite sure what Hero was really about, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

The Big Sleep - A bit of a dissapointment for me after reading the book. I guess I got a different idea of Phil Marlowe from the novel. More of this controlled, observant detective who will slowly pace around the room, light a cigarette, and then have some kind of clever retort. In the film it's like the dialog is set to double speed, and all of its cleverness is raped by unreasonably fast delivery. It might be the way movies were made back then, but then again I never actively noticed anything like that in a film like Casablanca, which is from exactly the same period. A big "meh" for The Big Sleep, although a lot of people apparently consider it a classic.

Tonight I'm going to watch Batman Begins, and sometime soon I'm gonna watch Le Conseguenze dell'amore. Heard good things about both.

Sin City was totally awesome, especially That Yellow Bastard with Bruce Willis. But I still stand by my opinion that those stories work best as graphic novels.

EDIT: Yesterday I saw a Naked Gun marathon, all three of 'em! Good times were had by all (all being me).

The third one still has some of the greatest analogies I've heard:

"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes."

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through."

EDIT THE SECOND: I apparently called Vanilla Sky; Vanilla Ice. It was a long day, I was feeling kinda odd, and though I didn't like Vanilla Sky it's still no excuse to mix it with Vanilla Ice.

I apologize.

apology accepted.

I was walking down the street singing the theme to naked gun yesterday quite loud with people walking past me. What a sweet ass song. And movie. I also enjoyed loaded weapon 1 and hudson hawk immensely.

apology accepted.

I was walking down the street singing the theme to naked gun yesterday quite loud with people walking past me. What a sweet ass song. And movie. I also enjoyed loaded weapon 1 and hudson hawk immensely.

Thanks for accepting my sincere apology.

After you watch any Naked Gun movie you have to humm the theme, otherwise the universe will lose its order.

It's the law! (...Of physics.)

And Hudson Hawk gets a bad reputation for no reason. I thought it was nice, nothing special but nice, and so many people say it's terrible. (Why people, why?)

I can't say that I'm a big fan of Loaded Weapon, but I do love its tag line: "Oh my god! They have guns!"

I have the feeling that V for Vendetta is going to suck. The Wachowski brothers really aren't that good at all and Alan Moore has already complained about the film. The Watchmen film is probably going to really suck as well, they'll probably change the ending too.

I think it's still rather undecided as to wether or not V for Vendetta is going to suck... we shall see and read and ... stuff. Natalie Portman though... hawt

Most recent movie I've seen was "It's All Gone Pete Tong." Quite a funny movie. It's a mockumentary, like Spinal Tap or Mighty Wind, about a British DJ named Frankie Wilde who goes completely deaf. The theater I work at was the first to get the main release (the director used to work concession at the place back in the day...) but it won 5 awards so far, The Audience Award and Best Picture from the Gen Art film fest, the Best Canadian Film award from the Toronto Film fest, and the Best actor and Best Feature from the US Comedy Arts fest, so it's quite good. Check it out if you get the chance.

Other than that, I got the DVD of 12 Monkeys for pretty cheap, and that's always a good time.

I have the feeling that V for Vendetta is going to suck. The Wachowski brothers really aren't that good at all and Alan Moore has already complained about the film. The Watchmen film is probably going to really suck as well, they'll probably change the ending too.

The whole brilliance of Watchmen is in its ending!

I saw Sin City last night as it was premiered in Finland.

Oh wow, now that was an awesome movie done in bluescreen, G.Lucas has something to learn from these guys.

I so loved the Marv story "A hard goodbye", Mickey Rourke :tup::clap::woohoo:

Though all the actors did a great job.

I like Hudson Hawk by the way. Granted, it's not entirely awesome, but it does a lot of things right. Doesn't compare well to Naked Gun though =)

Yeah, they sure did a hell of a job on Mickey Rourke. The one thing I, wait, lemme put this in spoilers-

The one thing that struck me yesterday was that Rutger Hauer, who plays the bishop Rourke getting killed by Marv in the end, was way too good for that role. Not in the sense that it was a degrading role; but from the comic books I had envisioned the bishop Rourke to just be a stupid religious fart. But Rutger Hauer carries with him so much immediate depth and flair that it was just too much for that role, and the whole of the Sin City world, where all the characters should be caricatural. So that actually kind of stood out.

On blue screen:

Not sure if I already mentioned this, but "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" is quite good, at least if you are into that whole adventure movie thing and throw in those old outrageously bombastic and brilliant european comics of olde (TinTin, Bob Morane, M (or something not sure of the name of that one, it's been a while)).

I saw batman begins last night. IT was a very well directed and acted movie. It is without a doubt the best batman movie as to date. The script is a bit weak at some times but for the rest it was a very entertaining movie. I really want to see it again some time soon.

Up nexty on my to watch list:

- Sin City

- the next episode of battlestar galactica

- hitch hikers guide to the galaxy

- A scanner darkly (is this one coming out this year?)

I've seen A Mighty Wind now, the whole thing. So good. In fact, awesome.

"Hey, wha' happened?!"

lafontaine.gif

"I can't do my wooooork!"

It's too bad the movie didn't get the attention that it deserved.

Ugh. Sky Captain. Normally I enjoy cheezy movies. In this case, not so much. It was beyond bad. I found myself actually making my own MST3K sort of commentary with my roommates. That was actually fun, but the movie itself, not so much. Plus, what's up with that hench-chick? She looks like the bastard offspring of Darth Maul and Riddick. Ick.

Dreamwork's The Prince of Egypt ranks among the finest animated movies I've seen. So dark and uncompromising, biblical in tone and yet never patronizing about it.

Really? I found it to be nothing special. Still, a lot better than James & The Giant Peach which is probably the worst Dahl adaptation to date. It should never have been adapted anyway. The Jack Skellington cameo was ace, however. :)

Other films I'd like to whinge about include Wedding Crashers and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I expected a lot more from Crashers, I should have done a little reading on it rather than let myself be lured into cinemas by Owen Wilson and his comically shaped nose. Hitchhikers - well, I don't think I'm a fan of Douglas Adams to be honest. Martin Freeman actually played the role very well, which I was initally sceptical about, and it seemed to be a solid film. However, I didn't find it too funny.

Sin City & Batman Begins were both absolutely excellent films, and I also really liked Millions which is the latest Danny Boyle film - a "family" version of Shallow Grave with a pretty cheesy ending, but still very good. It's motivated me to dig through Boyle's back catalogue.

I'm going to watch Rushmore tonight, maybe. It was totally £4 in this ace little DVD shop that's opened in town! I'm going to waste a lot of money there... :~

I'm going to see War of the Worlds this week. My expectations have been somewhat lowered by the general opinion, but we'll see...

--Erwin

I'm going to watch Rushmore tonight, maybe. It was totally £4 in this ace little DVD shop that's opened in town! I'm going to waste a lot of money there... :~

That's one of my favorite movies, if not my favorite movie.

Enjoy. :)

fischer.gif

This illustration was drawn by Vera Brosgol, by the way. I just really like it.

OK boys n girls: the list you need to see

Casshern - I recommend you DON'T watch this with a 'talker'. You'll lose the point of the film.

Dolls - Takeshi Kitano at his most delicate. A really fine film.

Infernal Affairs Trilogy - THIS is how you do cat and mouse 'mole' films.

Tale of Two Sisters

Happiness of Katakuris - How NOT to run a guesthouse.

All About Lily Chou Chou - This reminds me of my school childhood.

Zatoichi - Kitano-san at his most entertaining. Samurai fights as they really go down.

enjoy