Sign in to follow this  
Nick

"in the mould of Doom - but without the gore"

:grin: Well, we could bring other religions into it, like Hinduism and Buddhism, but will Christians listen to comparisons?

Of course, I do understand the idea of morals and such. I just hate when it's packaged as religion. I also hate it when people interpret the Bible for their own ends. Including many of the theologians who wrote part of it or translated it. And especially those televangelists and street POGs* who hate gays and other people they arbitrarily claim as sinful and wrong. Who are THEY to judge?

Personally I take the Bible as one large source of metaphors and symbols for a way of life, one that offers guidance on how to be good on all levels. Satan not so much as an entity, but as an idea for chaos, confusion, and many other attributes not to my liking. God to me is pure love and perfection, the good stuff, things that I strive to be every day.

And like I said before, I'll play a Christian game if it's a good game, but NOT if it tries to convert me with some misguided, often times literal translation of the Bible. For that matter, any religious game that tries to do the same thing to me.

* Pimps Of God.

:grin: Well, we could bring other religions into it, like Hinduism and Buddhism, but will Christians listen to comparisons?

Of course, I do understand the idea of morals and such. I just hate when it's packaged as religion. I also hate it when people interpret the Bible for their own ends. Including many of the theologians who wrote part of it or translated it. And especially those televangelists and street POGs* who hate gays and other people they arbitrarily claim as sinful and wrong. Who are THEY to judge?

* Pimps Of God.

See, that's just what i mean. If someone is doing or saying something that is wrong or negative or judgemental, they are NOT following Gods teaching. It would be like me calling myself an Astronaut. I can say i am, but one conversation with me and you would clearly see i am not. The same applies to faith. The only reason i did not mention any other faith is because i am not qualified to speak for that organisations beliefs. Many other faiths don't look to God. Many more describe God as the good in us all as it takes away any responsibility to accept that there may actually be a god with a requirement of us.

Anyway, thats so not to do with games. The only important link to religion and games i can think of is that Satan must be real - you only have to look at the Sammy Corporation takeover of SEGA. DEEEMONS!!!!!!! ;)

'The only reason i did not mention any other faith is because i am not qualified to speak for that organisations beliefs.'

Are you admitting that christianity is but an organisation? And hence that religion itself is an organisation NOT a belief? Or do you just think that other (i.e. not christian) religions are organisations?

Apart from the fact that I am a card carrying athiest, don't you think that GOD needs SATAN... otherwise pure love and perfection is merely normal. It has nothing worse to be compared against and after all everything is relative.

think of the relationship (i.e. sex) and the cracker analogy (i think eddie murphy's material)

if you are a bum living in destitution and somehow you stumble accross a cracker, it will be the best damn cracker you have ever tasted. However, six months of eating the same cracker....

Why would an organization not be allowed to have shared beliefs and still remain an organization?

Apart from the fact that I am a card carrying athiest, don't you think that GOD needs SATAN... otherwise pure love and perfection is merely normal. It has nothing worse to be compared against and after all everything is relative.

I think that most theists might take issue with the idea that human perception is the ony valid position to adopt; perhaps suggesting that apprehension of cosmic reality might involve transcending the very human perception that you are appealing to.

Beatific union with God is not something you can have too much of, or get sick of.

It's not like eating Doritos.

P.S. Check your Atheist Card for spelling errors!

'The only reason i did not mention any other faith is because i am not qualified to speak for that organisations beliefs.'

Are you admitting that christianity is but an organisation? And hence that religion itself is an organisation NOT a belief? Or do you just think that other (i.e. not christian) religions are organisations?

Let me make myself clear. By the term organisation i mean by a body, or group of people either in the tens, thousands, or in my case, as one of Jehovahs Witnesses, millions. As a child, I followed the teachings of the catholic school I attended. My parents always taught me to think for myself and never forced me or brainwashed me into thinking there was a god. I reasoned for myself. However, for much of my life I felt there could be something else but based on the explainations to the state of the world we live in, the catholic teachings did not add up. As a result I no longer believed in those teachings and didn't take much notice to religion.

As an adult now I have spent many years studying the actual bible as opposed to just listening to a priest say what scripture X,Y means and I have researched the facts for myself. Based on historical facts, archeological findings, and comparing world events, I have been able to reason that the bible is a consistant book. Now, I DO NOT take anything about GOD unless it is expressly written in the bible to back it up. By that I mean events or issues concerning his promises or details related to things he has allowed to happen in the past or that he will put into action in the future, eg. The removing of Satan's system at the time known as Armageddon.

I beleive it because, and ONLY because it is written in the bible. Anything else would be an opinion of man, and although I would always consider another persons view, I will always ONLY believe Jehovah has done/said something IF it is written in the bible.

Now, you could quite sensibly argue that the bible is just a book written by men for their own gain, and/or it could be full of flaws or misenterpretation. I do not disagree with the point. However, I must also reason that if the universal creator of everything wanted to ensure that his word would reach mankind accurately to his teaching and instruction, then I think it would.

You see it is hard to not view life from the influence of anything other than mankind if you have never given an open humble investigation of whether a creator exists. But in my studying I have come to see WHY our world is so screwed up but more encouraging, how God is going to bring death and suffering and injustice to an end.

Too often we dismiss a Creator until there is an event of terrible effect in life. When that plane is crashing, we ALL start praying. Whe nwe lose a loved one many ask if there was a God why did he let that person die etc. The answer to all these issues are in the bible and explain why they occur but also that they will end. That is what Armageddon is will deal with. It has nothing to do with the end of the world by some meteor, or by a nuclear war. It details very accurately how Satan and HIS organisation will be removed from the earth.

Without going into too much detail, the entire point of why we currently suffer is based on an accusation levelled at Jehovah by Satan that stated that mankind if left to his own devises would exist just fine and would not need him (God) and would infact turn his back on him and even choose to follow him (Satan). Ultimately, it is like someone telling you that your children don't need you and infact if left to their own devices they would be better off and that the only reason they would stay with you is to get all they can out of you, and someone else could raise your children better than you.

As a parent I know that is not the truth. Children require parent(s) to grow into a loving healthy adult. I don't know of anyone who could say that isn't true. They love you, yes, for providing for them - why wouldn't they. But do you think if you fell on hard times and couldn't provide all they wanted materially that they would hate you? Of course, no.

But that was what Satan said. Now God, in his infinate wisdom and fairness knowing this was not the case STILL accepted that Satan had a right to prove if this was possible. Thus we currently are living in a time under Satans rulership, hence death chaos etc. But now that God has allowed a time to pass to prove beyond doubt that his way is the better way. Satan will thus be removed and earth will be returned to normal.

There is more to it which explains much, but this is the gist of it.

Based on my research of these things, I am confident this is the truth. The reason I said 'organisation' was mearly to explain that I share this belief with a large number of people (more than thirteen million) and try to live according to the instructions and guidelines outlined in the scriptures. The fact that we meet together is to further improve our understanding and to encourage one another to keep on trying to get through this difficult world we live in.

I should also point out, the function of an organisation such as that which i am part of is not to 'convert' others to their way of thinking. We do it to encourage people to just take a look in their bibles to see that there is good news for our future. If you want to know more you can then get in contact. But we go from door to door as one means of communicating Gods word because it is a commandment from him as outlined in Mathew 27:18-20 for example. If you're not interested then just say so, but someone may call again in 6 months to see if you have changed your mind. If you just hate it and don't want anyone to call EVER ;) then say so and they will ensure you are not troubled again.

Can someone move this to the off-topic forum? I really hate religious discussions cropping up where they shouldn't belong, as they so often do on the internet.

Now, you could quite sensibly argue that the bible is just a book written by men for their own gain, and/or it could be full of flaws or misenterpretation. I do not disagree with the point. However, I must also reason that if the universal creator of everything wanted to ensure that his word would reach mankind accurately to his teaching and instruction, then I think it would.

rather circular, that.

I have to say, I find it impossible to read something so dense with the words GOD and SATAN. My brain just skips it involuntarily.

Can someone move this to the off-topic forum? I really hate religious discussions cropping up where they shouldn't belong, as they so often do on the internet.

Seconded

We have digressed from talking about games into talking purely about religion and good lord if only you could see what I'm doing with my hands right now.

Seconded

We have digressed from talking about games into talking purely about religion and good lord if only you could see what I'm doing with my hands right now.

:innocent: ??

I meant I was shaking my fists really offensively at him :shifty: