manny_c44

Nintendo Revolution

Is that for real? :eek:

It very much is. As far as I can tell, it's basically a really small GBA with a good, backlit screen. Which they already did with the SP. Great.

It very much is. As far as I can tell, it's basically a really small GBA with a good, backlit screen. Which they already did with the SP. Great.

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! :gaming::clap::woohoo:

But I thought it was a "Game Boy" Micro, not a "Game Boy Advance" Micro.... :erm:

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! :gaming::clap::woohoo:

But I thought it was a "Game Boy" Micro, not a "Game Boy Advance" Micro.... :erm:

It is supposed to be an extension to the GB product line, not a successor, whatever that means. I doubt it will add anything new though, so it's basically a GBA SP with an even smaller screen. It's bound to be cheap though!

Wow, it's small ... but the materials used seem cheap. Is that plastic I am seeing ?

Backward compatibility is spectacular but might be fun only for a while I think... or it will be for a long time if the new games are bad.

Not including DVD features in the main release is suprisingly stupid, isn't it ?

My shock regarding the backwards compatibility thing caused me to miss the DVD thing, but honestly being able to play DVDs is not really covered by the "making waffles and coffee argument". It should be a totally standard feature by now. Talking about doing other wacky things sort of implies having other attachments or peripherals, I don't know, but a DVD is the same exact size as a game disc! It's absurd to have an extra attachment to do something that the machine could very clearly do itself. If it means the system has to be bigger than two matchbooks or whatever, fine. This seems like Nintendo is basically saying "Well, we know you'll have another console that can play DVDs, so ours doesn't need to"--which is undoubtedly going to be true in most gamers' cases, but it just seems like Nintendo is ready to be third place all over again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason that Microsoft did it this way is because to have a DVD playback device is to have a DVD license... which costs extra. So Microsoft, rather than eating that price in the cost of the system (which would have caused them to lose millions more on top of the billions it already did), it was seperated.

Which I think is fine.

I mean, you can watch DVDs out of the box on a PS2, but unless you get a remote, why would you want to? And it's not like the remote is free either.

I think it looks pretty awesome, but it's sad to know that it will be way overpriced until another even more ultimate gameboy comes along, as is Nintendo's nature.

I mean, you can watch DVDs out of the box on a PS2, but unless you get a remote, why would you want to? And it's not like the remote is free either.

Can't you use the gamepad as a remote ?

The Internet's classic stance on Nintendo.

Actually I am still hopefull that Nintendo manages to bring a REALLY original product to market. After the rather boring releases of 360 and ps3, the house of mario is the last hope for something different.

However, the past has shown that since the SNES, nintendo has not been able to make a big impression on the market.

Still hoping for the best though... :chaste:

I have a great region free DVD player, I have no need for console with such DVD capabilities. :)

I don't see the big deal, how many of you DON'T have a DVD player of some sort?

I have a DVD player that serves me just fine, but I still see the big deal. Say you want to go out and live in the wilderness, or something similar. You want to bring a couple of movies with you, as well some of those awesome games you have. Now, if the console lacks DVD playback you'll have to bring a DVD player as well, which really isn't very practical.

Of course, you could leave either movies or games at home, but where's the fun in that?

My xbox 3rd generation makes an excellent DVD player... except that it can't play the LOTR special edition movies! :(

But hey, my friend who have a PS2 refuse to use it as a DVD player... because it does it all wrong. One bought a DVD player, and the other now uses a Tivo DVR

Can't you use the gamepad as a remote ?

Yes, but as I said, why would you want to? Watching DVDs with a PS2 controller is like paddling a canoe with a butterfly net. Sure, it WORKS, but awkwardly.

bah :finger:

About the weak power of the revolution: that's just bull. Both Sony and microsoft are known to overblow their system-power statements by spinning the numbers. When the last generation was released both ps2 and xbox's stats were based on processing raw data - while nintendo's was based on in game, animated and lighted polygons. And sure enough, if you looked at the prerealease stats, ps2 and xbox seemed faster than the cube. In reality, as far as I understand, the power of the three systems was not that different - except ps2 was slowest... or something....

bottom line: Nintendo is always more 'conservative' (another word for truthful) with their numbers....

the ps2 and the xbox has pretty pathetic framerates in general... the graphics may look prety, but it's nowhere as the feeling you get on the gamecube...

um, I was wrong. it's doesn't look like a ps2 memory card.. it looks like a big SD card! I wonder if it has to do with the fact that nintendo is using SD on the revolution...

I would be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the bit about independent developers. If the inevitable "gaming renaissance" happens during this generation of consoles, and the 360 and PS3 are still shilling the sort of stuff they are now (big budget, "photo-realism", and a general lack of creativity), the Revolution may play a bigger part than we think.

They barely unveiled anything. Give a screenshot of Super Mario 128, a short look at the new Smash Brothers, a brand new game, a left handed sketch of the controller, ANYTHING! I want more! The Xbox 360 and PS3 may have been no more than over priced pieces of nothing, but at least they showed some software!

The conference was nothing more than Nintendo showing off sales and Zelda: Twilight Princess (Link's a werewolf now :blink::tmeh:), the GameCube line-up was nearly nothing (give me something new and give Mario a rest, he's like a two dollar ho now), Game Boy Micro is one of the most redundant things Nintendo has ever done, thankfully, the DS line-up was good (new Mario and Luigi :tup:).

I'm so damn disappointed, I'm gonna go into a dark corner, get into a fetus position and cry like a baby that just drank Tabasco.

You can view the conference here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/17/news_6125078.html?gcst=2stream_nintendo_e305_pressconf1.asx&tag=gs_hp_topslot_click

The Gamecube's graphic chip was designed by ArtX, which became a part of ATi, and was originally an offshoot of SGI.

Historically, SGI hardware never had that good peak performance, and I think that in some cases consumer level cards posted bigger numbers. The big difference was that SGI's kit could sustain performance close to their peak in real world applications, whilst the nVidia and 3dfx parts couldn't. I've got a feeling that I heard that the Gamecube chip (Flipper?) was designed along these lines.

It'll be interesting to see whether the same is true for the Revolution.

Graeme

Those pictures look really really fake. Someone clearly just copied and pasted the original pictures and colored them, then skewed them to make them look like they were photographs taken at varying angles.

Yes, Chris. And changed the fucking reflection on each of them.

The pictures are from the Nintendo of Japan site.

Also there, a picture of the opened side, revealing four GameCube controller ports.

Hey don't go dissin' werewolf Link :gaming:

He's been turned into a bunny, Goron, Deku Shrub and whatever they called those fish people (I've forgotten), so why not a werewolf?