manny_c44

Nintendo Revolution

inside-e3.jpg

As revealed in a picture from USAtoday. Looks way better than the others I think, I guess they'll tell us what the revolution is all about later.

"Revolution will offer broadband access to a free Internet-based player matching service, similar to Xbox Live, that also will have downloadable versions of nearly every Nintendo game — from arcade classic Donkey Kong through current titles such as Mario Sunshine. (Nintendo hasn't decided whether downloading will be free.)"

If it were free... :yep:, but I doubt it. Money grubbers.

Here's a link to the article in question: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2005-05-17-revolution_x.htm?POE=TECISVA

Unlike the other consoles, it doesn't look like a household appliance.

If it's only going to be "two or three times more powerful than Gamecube" as the article mentions, I think Nintendo won't do very well this generation. I know they mean to focus on games and gameplay, but crippling the hardware in order to suit your internal development philosophy isn't the way to go if they're looking for third party software.

I really, really hope they've got some big surprise about the system coming up soon.

Here's a link to the article in question: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2005-05-17-revolution_x.htm?POE=TECISVA

Unlike the other consoles, it doesn't look like a household appliance.

If it's only going to be "two or three times more powerful than Gamecube" as the article mentions, I think Nintendo won't do very good this generation. I know they mean to focus on games and gameplay, but crippling the hardware in order to suit your internal development philosophy isn't the way to go if they're looking for third party software.

I really, really hope they've got some big surprise about the system coming up soon.

Yeah, but we really won't have any idea what kind of graphics we're really talking about until we see something. Xbox claims to be oodles more powerful, but I would say it looks only marginally better than existing PC hardware configurations....PS3, I don't know, if that 'Motorstorm' is actually gameplay footage it may very well be 35 times more powerful.

I hope that Nintendo isn't doing itself in with half-assed technology.

It at least looks more mature than the Gamecube ever did, so they might garner some developer attention by not having a "kiddie console" the coming generation. As you said, the PS3 looks really powerful, but when Ken Kutaragi said that they were going to focus on existing licenses (or something to that effect) it felt like my interest went down about three notches. Then I though about what Nintendo was going to offer and remembered that it's probably going to be a load of sequels too.

So yeah... :hmph:

media?id=1897381&type=lg

I like it. It's not really creative, the colors make me think of the PS2, but the small size of it is very appreciable. I'm waiting too see the controller to set my final judgement.

Oh man it looks sweet, and SMALL in a good way.

This is something that gets my attention.

The best part is, that it looks a lot different from the rest, not at all like those other two silver spiderman mac consoles.

Nintendo :tup:

I'd like it better if it wasn't named the "Revolution".

I'm already sick of hearing people say things like "We'll see where J Allard is after THE REVOLUTION!"

No one'll need cars after THE REVOLUTION!

Starbucks Coffee will taste better during THE REVOLUTION!

Who needs sex when we have THE REVOLUTION!

Star Wars Episode III will be coming soon to a REVOLUTION near you.

:frusty: Rinse, lather, repeat, annoy.

I think THAT is exactly what makes that name at least fun and interesting. A lot better than 360! The question is still what "BIG" (hahahaha, yeah... right...!) N has up its sleeve! This can't be all... actually I am still waiting for them to botch this one up badly... maybe the lacking performance will be it... we'll see...

As it is I can't believe that Nintendo is going for the "low end" approach that cost them so dearly last time around again! Could this be the end...

The biggest surprise is still a secret. The controller.

If that is revealed successfully, Nintendo will hit it Big.

"It's not all about having 'turbo power,' " Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan says. "It's about what you do with it."

The Revolution is at least better looking than it's competitors...

But it's too soon to say anything...

It looks like a giant Playstation 2 memory card! Now, I wonder if they will release the fabled controllers...

This console looks great! I'm a bit disappointed that in this generation, everything has to look like it came out of the future. Funny that Nintendo is making the only black console. And it looks like something that came directly from an Imperial Stardestroyer where it used to skitter over the floor like a mouse. Whereas other consoles look like toasters or topsyturvy printers. Granted, I like the Xbox360, but the PS3 looks ridiculous. The Revolution however; I never knew such simple, hard-edged square design could make me fuzzy like that.

I think THAT is exactly what makes that name at least fun and interesting. A lot better than 360! The question is still what "BIG" (hahahaha, yeah... right...!) N has up its sleeve! This can't be all... actually I am still waiting for them to botch this one up badly... maybe the lacking performance will be it... we'll see...

As it is I can't believe that Nintendo is going for the "low end" approach that cost them so dearly last time around again! Could this be the end...

well they could hardly match the ps3 so why bother. All the console hardware is sold at a loss and they make up their money from games, so a lower cost machine could serve Nintendo very well in the coming years.

It all depends on the controller whether I'll get one straight away. Some gyro stuff would be interesting.

I just watched the conference broadcast live. It was deceiving. Nothing was shown, no games, no controller, nothing, except the console itself.

Well, at least, the new GB Micro looks good.

9:18 am: Iwata takes stage. Introduces Revolution. Holds up the tiny, Mac Mini-sized unit. Crowd cheers. Says it's the smallest console Nintendo has ever manufactured. Says the final machine will be even smaller than the concept unit he's holding. Can stand horizontally or vertically. Revolution will play 12cm (DVD) discs (and GameCube software, too). Added attachment can be used to play movies and other DVD content. Machine has 512 MB of onboard flash memory for data storage.

9:20 am: "When you turn on Revolution and see the graphics, you will say 'wow!'" "Our competitors have detailed the power of their core processor and display. But the advantages of our technology will also have no bearing on gameplay. I know, this is one of those mysterious comments," he says. Says wifi will be built into every Nintendo product so controller, TV, console, and internet can interact. Nintendo intends to develop a device that's functional and appealing to every member in the household -- whether gamers or not. All controllers will be wireless. Also, the controllers will be very unique "in ways we will share with you... later." Already working on several wifi games for launch. Smash Bros. will be launch game -- wifi.

9:24 am: For Revolution, "Miyamoto is challenging his teams to create something new." His new creation will debut with Revolution. Big franchises will of course be there -- including new versions of Mario and Zelda. Short Metroid Prime 3 clip showing Samus standing in front of her redesigned spaceship. "We expect strong third-party support in both hemisphere." For example, Square Enix is already working on Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle for Revolution.

9:27 am: Iwata: Convinced game development on Revolution will be easier and far less costly than for other machines. "Big idea can prevail over big budget." Revolution is a solution to help maximize creative freedom. Iwata then talks about backward compatibility. "Redefining term of backward compatability." It's a virtual console, able to download 20 years of Nintendo content. You will be able to Download NES, Super NES and N64 games. You can get every Nintendo game ever made. "Revolution shares a vision with DS. The machine is just a tool for software."

Added attachment can be used to play movies and other DVD content.

What the... why would they want to do that? That's a horrible idea that's going to turn a lot of potential customers away (probably). Well, at least if you have to pay extra for the attachment. Even if it's free it sounds bad, I mean who wants to poke around every time you want to go from gaming to watching a DVD? :nuts:

Okay, that backwards compatibility thing is just amazing.

"Redefining term of backward compatability." It's a virtual console, able to download 20 years of Nintendo content. You will be able to Download NES, Super NES and N64 games. You can get every Nintendo game ever made.

:blink::eek::clap::gaming::sartre::eathat:*D*D*D*D:pwned: HOLY SHIT

What the... why would they want to do that? That's a horrible idea that's going to turn a lot of potential customers away (probably). Well, at least if you have to pay extra for the attachment. Even if it's free it sounds bad, I mean who wants to poke around every time you want to go from gaming to watching a DVD? :nuts:

Revolution is mainly intended for gaming purposes. It's not intended to be home entertainment unit that makes you waffles and coffee.

The fact that I can download old games makes this console far more worth to me, than the other two competitors.

Also, Wi-Fi enabled Super Smash Bros., possibly with four of my buddies with me at home playing four other strangers in the US. That would be awesome.

I am still waiting for them to botch this one up badly

The Internet's classic stance on Nintendo.

Revolution is mainly intended for gaming purposes. It's not intended to be home entertainment unit that makes you waffles and coffee.

My shock regarding the backwards compatibility thing caused me to miss the DVD thing, but honestly being able to play DVDs is not really covered by the "making waffles and coffee argument". It should be a totally standard feature by now. Talking about doing other wacky things sort of implies having other attachments or peripherals, I don't know, but a DVD is the same exact size as a game disc! It's absurd to have an extra attachment to do something that the machine could very clearly do itself. If it means the system has to be bigger than two matchbooks or whatever, fine. This seems like Nintendo is basically saying "Well, we know you'll have another console that can play DVDs, so ours doesn't need to"--which is undoubtedly going to be true in most gamers' cases, but it just seems like Nintendo is ready to be third place all over again.