DanJW

Boycott Star Wars III

Ah, you see, you are assuming that Mr Lucas and his team of writers have a fucking clue what they are writing about.

Ah, you see, you are assuming that Mr Lucas and his team of writers have a fucking clue what they are writing about.

Curses, I am foiled!

I would have hoped that the design people were more clued up. Lucas surely didn't stand behind them as they worked so he could slap them every time they deviated from his masterplan? Or... did he?

Ultimately he got to choose which ship who's driving when.

Ultimately he got to choose which ship who's driving when.

I have terribly images of Lucas cackling maniacally and demanding cannons. :(

Maybe the Empire switched to the Jedi ones cause they're more powerful or some such nonsense.

I thought TIE-Fighters were supposed to suck? :shifty:

No deflectors, no hyperspace, no slot for a droid?

Maybe the Jedi fighters are cheaper. I guess a Jedi wouldn't need shields and all those silly accessories if they're using the force. Since the Empire probably had an unlimited number of pilots I guess they might have adopted a more simplistic design that could be produced in mass numbers. The X-Wing fighter is probably more expensive but more powerful, and since the Rebels had a limited supply of pilots, they would have chosen the X-Wing design.

Just for fun I'm looking at the Star Wars Databank and I see that there's something called the Sith Infiltrator, which is probably a closer precursor to the Tie Fighter, since it's made by the same imaginary company.

Didn't Lucas already write everything waaay back, even before he made the original movies?

--Erwin

Didn't Lucas already write everything waaay back, even before he made the original movies?

--Erwin

No. Why would he?

I think he claims to have done so, but the inconsistencies belie this.

I think he claims to have done so, but the inconsistencies belie this.

Yeah, he does say that he had the whole thing planned out, but really, there's no way. On the Indiana Jones DVDs there's a pretty funny story about how before Raiders of the Lost Ark was even filming, Lucas told Spielberg that he'd have to effectively sign on for a trilogy, because Lucas had three stories in mind. Which turned out to be a lie. It seems to be a pattern with him.

Oh fucking hell...

I just went to see this movie with four of my mates, and what the fuck was that movie about?

I was fully loaded, I knew I couldn't take this "prequel" shit seriously anymore, so I had drunk a gin drink and a Smirnoff Ice before the movie and drunk a bottle of gin during the movie.

The beginning of the movie was pointless, again that same old IL&M second grade shit that had only one purpose, to serve as a sequence for the Ep3 game/s.

Then there wasn't that many stupid dialogues as in Ep2, but there was stuff that just sent me laughing. One thing was that Kashyyk shit with the cgi wookies. The other one was that "THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" scene, why the fuck did Hayden move so stupidly, was that whole scene done with cgi or something? And about that Kashyyk thing, I really thought Georgie-boy had enough money to like hire 50-70 guys to act as wookies instead of using cgi...

And I hate that shit that 92% of the movie is done with cgi, like all the damn props were done by IL&M, WTF man? Lucas surely has millions and billions at his usage to do top class props for the movies, why the hell does he have to use IL&M do to everything?

About the only thing that I was happy about after the movie was the end scenes where the babies were delivered to Alderaan and Tatoiine, Lucas did have some sense in his head when those scenes were created. That guy who was Luke's uncle or something like that, looked to the suns exactly like Hamill did in A New Hope.

Ok, I have to end this "review" by saying that this movie indeed was better than the two earlier prequels combined, but that ain't much folks.

EDIT: Ok, yeah I forgot about the light saber battles, overall they looked cool, but wtf was all that "latest Steven Seagal movie" crap, why did Lucas use so many closeups that you couldn't see shit what was happening? And all the damn crazy megazooms to the peoples eyes when something momentous was happening?

Why the hell would you go pay to see a movie while completely wasted and trash it after?

I didn't pay. :grin:

And because you can, it's half the fun of the movie experience if you ask me (except for good movies, but they're the minority. Oh Wes Anderson, and Miyazaki san).

Man, I really don't like the lightsaber battles in the prequels. I've always felt that the lightsaber battles in the original Star Wars films were metaphors more than they were ACTUAL battles of swordfighting skill. I mean, both Kenobi and Vader knew how the fight in Star Wars was going to turn out; the point wasn't to see who could hit their opponent more, the actual battle being fought was on totally another level. The same goes for Luke's fight against Vader on Cloud City. It's not to see if Luke is actually a better physical fighter, it's this crazy battle of attrition Vader is forcing down Luke's throat, wearing him down psychologically and causing Luke to practically snap. The same goes for the stuff with Vader, Luke, and the Emperor on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. It's not about who's more physically "powerful". At least it never was for me.

In the prequels there's sort of some of that by default I guess since most of the battles are between "good" and "evil" but for the most part it's just all about having crazy martial arts battles. Like I give a shit about that when I want to see fucking Star Wars, geez. I can go watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon if I want to see that kind of crap. To me the Jedi have been reduced to nothing more than parlor-trick magicians who are a little bit psychic and really fast with a sword. In Star Wars, everbody (well, everyone who believed in the Force) had enormous amounts of respect for Kenobi. The implication was that the Jedi are somehow far more powerful than could be convincingly demonstrated on film--and since their full power and influence was never really attempted to be demonstrated, it in fact remained convincing. One of my favorite scenes is when Vader tells Tarkin, "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed; the power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force". Man, I used to totally believe that. I'm not so fucking sure, now. Looks to me like all the Jedi are capable of is throwing droids around and getting shot in the back by fucking stormtroopers. And they were supposed to be WAY more powerful in the time of the prequels than in the time of the original films. They were supposed to be the grand marshals of this life-sustaining, grand force, something that transcends any kind of destructive power or fighting skill, but it looks like all they actually did is swing sabers around and levitate stuff sometimes. Seeing Yoda fight did nothing for me. I know everyone else creamed their pants but I thought it looked ridiculous. He looks way more goofy in the new films than he ever did, and he was a PUPPET before. I didn't need to see him jump six feet in the air to know he was extreme.

Anyway I really don't enjoy the new Star Wars films at all.

So you're 'jaded'. Hmmm.

If that means I 'don't like the new Star Wars films', then sure.

Why the hell would you go pay to see a movie while completely wasted and trash it after?

My friends wanted to see it, and they wanted me to go with them.

My friends laughed at me when I re-acted the best scene of the movie (when Vader hears that Padme is dead) right away after the movie ended. Now that was some awful acting, both on Hayden's and my part. But I think I delivered it better.

I think the problems Chris pointed out can be stretched out into every aspect of the movie, including design and plot. There's no mystery, the whole thing feels like it was made to sell cereal and video games. The first movies were fantastic partly because you were just dropped into this crazy world and you gleaned all of the backstory and character history just from the plot and good acting.

And about the acting, when you go into filming a star wars role you should be prepared to be typecast your whole life as the character, because that was the mark set by the old series. Really Hamill, Ford, Fisher, and even Alec Guiness were cemented for life in their roles because of how well they pulled it off, they really got it. How many of these new characters are good enough to be typecast? None. The emperor maybe but even he was better in the original trilogy. If the actors aren't even buying it how is the audience supposed to?

At the same time I feel wrong blaming the actors. This movie seems to really proove that blue-screen acting may be the worst thing to happen to cinema. Obviously you don't need that to make a bad film (see: Hollywood), but these movies feel so damn empty, and George Lucas foisted it on the whole cast. And even if they recast and changed the format of production you have to face the rotten script Lucas made for the film.

The whole thing is just sad, inconsequential cheese. Its a fucking children's movie.

There's no mystery, the whole thing feels like it was made to sell cereal and video games.

Welcome to Hollywood. :buyme:

The whole thing is just sad, inconsequential cheese. Its a fucking children's movie.

When was it ever not?

When was it ever not?

Saying "Children can enjoy it" is different than saying "It is a children's movie". There were lots of things I enjoyed as a child that I now wouldn't particularly enjoy. Star Wars is not one of them.

In the prequels there's sort of some of that by default I guess since most of the battles are between "good" and "evil" but for the most part it's just all about having crazy martial arts battles. Like I give a shit about that when I want to see fucking Star Wars, geez. I can go watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon if I want to see that kind of crap. To me the Jedi have been reduced to nothing more than parlor-trick magicians who are a little bit psychic and really fast with a sword. In Star Wars, everbody (well, everyone who believed in the Force) had enormous amounts of respect for Kenobi. The implication was that the Jedi are somehow far more powerful than could be convincingly demonstrated on film--and since their full power and influence was never really attempted to be demonstrated, it in fact remained convincing. One of my favorite scenes is when Vader tells Tarkin, "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed; the power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force". Man, I used to totally believe that. I'm not so fucking sure, now. Looks to me like all the Jedi are capable of is throwing droids around and getting shot in the back by fucking stormtroopers. And they were supposed to be WAY more powerful in the time of the prequels than in the time of the original films. They were supposed to be the grand marshals of this life-sustaining, grand force, something that transcends any kind of destructive power or fighting skill, but it looks like all they actually did is swing sabers around and levitate stuff sometimes. Seeing Yoda fight did nothing for me. I know everyone else creamed their pants but I thought it looked ridiculous. He looks way more goofy in the new films than he ever did, and he was a PUPPET before. I didn't need to see him jump six feet in the air to know he was extreme.

Wow. I totally agree. I was astounded at Sidious' l33t jumping skills and really wanted to know why he and Yoda didn't fight some kind of "mental" battle, or at least parry shit with telekinesis or something.

Don't be raining on my wu-xia though. :I