DanJW

Boycott Star Wars III

Haha, yeah I loved how there were these rumours online as to wether Senator Palpatine was the leader of the Siths... but still I could have thought of a few more interesting plot lines than this! just off the top of my head!

all in all. we deserved more consideration. we deserved more care.

this should have been the best scifi thing ever!

and george just comes out and goes all "it's my property I do whatever I please!"

You deserve more? Dude, I hate to burst your bubble but it IS his property, and he CAN do anything he wants with it.

Yeesh.

I don't deny that episodes 1 and 2 had dialogue and character issues (particularly episode 1), but they're still fun, well-made movies. That's all I asked for, and that's what I got.

Fanboys like to whine and bitch about this stuff, but Lucas doesn't owe you anything. So quit complaining and enjoy what Lucas has done, or give up star wars and move on with your life.

I'm the world's biggest Superman fanboi, and if the new Superman movie that comes out sucks, i'll say, "wow, that was a crappy movie." I won't say, "OMG they totally OWED me a better movie because of how much I love Superman." That's just rediculous. Warner Bros. and DC Comics can make whatever they want with Superman in it without my permission or express consent.

what I was actually getting at before I lost it there, was the fact that star wars WAS a great franchise. there was great potential there and Lucas could have easily done a LOT better than he did.

BTW I don't consider myself a particular starwars fan, but I do hate to see such potential go to waste.

Mediclorines :deranged:

now that's where you're plain wrong*. Lucas's idea of taking the reality of mitochondria and using it in his mythology was inspired. It's fascinating to me that these tiny bacteria are somehow intrinsically linked to the genetic evolution of humanity and may in fact be collectively deciding what happens to us.

* read as 'wrong'

Lucas's idea of taking the reality of mitochondria and using it in his mythology was inspired.

Inspired is certainly the right word.

now that's where you're plain wrong*. Lucas's idea of taking the reality of mitochondria and using it in his mythology was inspired. It's fascinating to me that these tiny bacteria are somehow intrinsically linked to the genetic evolution of humanity and may in fact be collectively deciding what happens to us.

* read as 'wrong'

Yeah, it's a great sci-fi idea, and it belongs no-where near star wars. Because star wars isn't sci-fi, it's fairytale in space. The original movies were firmly grounded in James Campbell's ideas on the Hero's Journy. The Prequals are firmly grounded in... well nothing in particular. The need to make another movie maybe. They completely fail to provide any consistency to the series as a whole.

Boycotts are entirely in line with capitalism. "Voting with your dollar" and all that. If you don't like that, you must be a communist*

*this was an ironic attack.

Yeah, it's a great sci-fi idea, and it belongs no-where near star wars. Because star wars isn't sci-fi, it's fairytale in space. The original movies were firmly grounded in James Campbell's ideas on the Hero's Journy. The Prequals are firmly grounded in... well nothing in particular. The need to make another movie maybe. They completely fail to provide any consistency to the series as a whole.

Amen!

Boycotts are entirely in line with capitalism. "Voting with your dollar" and all that. If you don't like that, you must be a communist*

*this was an ironic attack.

*hides his Little Red Book*

I like Star Wars....

It's true that the original was powerful because of its base in the Joseph Campbell mythology studies and the prequels aren't but thats because they're mainly a character study of Anakin which is slightly flawed but still entertaining.

Well, 'Episode VI' did have those goddamn stupid midget teddy bears. Must have been Lucas sticking his 2 cents in: "We need to SELL this one big time! Let's up the cutsie factor!!"

Interesting fact, the Ewoks were originally going to be Wookies, which everyone knows are awesome and the one of the main reasons I'm excited for Episode III.

* read as 'wrong'

Oh fuck off.

What about the dream that kids might just be able become a Jedi themselves if they learn't how to use the force? "Sorry Timmy, you weren't born with enough mediclorines. Un fucking lucky."

The idea of the force was genius. It was almost religious without being tied to a religion. Now it's just if you have space AIDS.

I bet you thought that Yoda jumping around like he'd done 10 lines of speed was also good.

So, are you a bigger nerd if you:

1.) Ignore or play down some of the problems of the previous two films and see EpIII as you normally would, hoping that it will tie everything together?

2.) Are offended by the inability of the prequels to hold a candle to the original trilogy, and hold off on seeing EpIII for awhile/forever as a response?

The answer is 'yes'. You are all bigger nerds.

Re: midichlorians, the whole idea COULD have been cool if Lucas had been able to tie it to some larger theme. Like having the Old Republic believe deeply in scientific ideals, which subsequently fade with the decline of the Old Republic and the rise of the Empire.

I dunno, something like that.

Aren't like.. epiphytes that are attracted to the Force or something, rather than the things that provide the Force? This might make them an easy way of detecting powerful capacity for Force-use with a handy-dandy scanner-thing?

In my head that is what I think, at least. I prefer pseudo-mystical babble to pseudo-technological babble (hence my muttering about the Dune film).

Well I think the whole idea of Star Wars, including the originals, is just a load of American bullshit.

Fuck America!!! You free thinker, you!!!

These new Star Wars movies are like "The Matrix" in the sense that I can't remember if I've seen them, and frankly I don't care.... :shifty:

And this is coming from a guy who likes B movies.... :deranged:

Interesting fact, the Ewoks were originally going to be Wookies, which everyone knows are awesome and the one of the main reasons I'm excited for Episode III.

Wookie = Wook-ie = ie-Wook = Ewok

Yeah, they didn't generate the Force, but were either attracted to it, or they connected humans to the Force, making it available for use or something.

I have no idea! :oldman:

It's all a load of old cobblers...

Bring on the frickin' lightsabre duels! :gaming:

Ok so here's the deal:

There is really no point to talk about Star Wars anymore, is there? I would like to state that everyone who was going to see it, should do so. In a lot of ways Episode III is exactly what was to be expected. There is no reason to talk about it, so let's just let it rest at that. The rest is silence...

I just came back from Episode 3 and

I totally liked it! What an utterly ridiculous movie, but it's way better executed than that incoherent flimflam of Episode 2! RotS was so preposterous that I couldn't do anything but love it! I mean semiotically it was the equivalent of George Lucas smashing your face with a planet of lava and saying: ,,You see this? This is FIRE. It represents EVIL. Get it? EVIL! FIRE! You WILL understand this or so help me!". Horrible! Ludicrous! I loved it!