syntheticgerbil

A Conclusion

Oh and -- by the way -- you're all full of shit. Except maybe Marek and Jake.

YOU are. :deranged:

(I got the power-disses today... :shifty: )

Oh and -- by the way -- you're all full of shit. Except maybe Marek and Jake.

Not qualifying that makes you seem like you're full of shit, as does saying "by the way" in front of sentence which really does not connect at all to the prior thing you said. Ok, so I'm being pedantic and am possibly full of shit. But I guess we already knew that.

Not qualifying that makes you seem like you're full of shit, as does saying "by the way" in front of sentence which really does not connect at all to the prior thing you said. Ok, so I'm being pedantic and am possibly full of shit. But I guess we already knew that.
What's the point of qualifying anything on the internet? I will waste valuable keystrokes I could've spent elsewhere. Like in explaining why I refused to explain something lateral a little while ago. It seems like Donnie Darko bash-fests are a monthly thing here and no one is particularly passionate to defend the film. It feels like preaching to the choir -- or better yet, screaming your mind in a subway terminal at a homeless man sleeping under Catherine Zeta Jones peddling telephones while indifferent people pass you both.

I enjoyed Mulholland Dr. and have no misconceptions about the film's depth. I love how Lynch's worlds taste gritty and how his narrative spreads through this world in barely readable fashions. I loved his Dune and I love Mulholland Dr. for the same reasons.

There was something else that I wanted to say, but I forgot what it was.

What about the Matrix? A lot of people thought it was deeply philosophical, and that it was fuckin' awesome. I thought it was an interesting and cool movie, but not the best movie ever made. Then I took Philosophy and learned about Decartes and though "oh, so this is where it comes from. Bah, anyone without the Hollywood mentality could have done that!"

I know Kung Fu. Whoa.

yeah he has that great wavy-move he does in all his movies! I think he was good in the matrix, because he perfectly fit the bill... in anything else, he's atrocious

The matrix was on tv yesterday and it annoyed the hell out of me because keanu sucked so much. In fact, I don't care for any of the characters in the Matrix except for Agent Smith. He shows more emotion than Keanu and he's a computer program.

If you guys want a bad time travel movie, but has a way more cohesive plot than Donnie Darko ever will, watch Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Man, bad? BAD?? It's basically a defining moment in time travel when they go back to set up the sandbag, cage, gun, key, and guitar training at the end of 2. And Vai wails.

I'm very late to this thread.

I watched the original (non-director's cut) of Donnie Darko.

It sucked.

It had lousy, unlikeable actors, was pretentious as all get-out, and had plot holes that drove me nuts. I saw nothing that would make me want to see the director's cut.

...but I did like the music.

For the record, I did like the rediculously pretentious Magnolia, but hated the less-pretentious-but-still-liked-by-pretentious-people Bottle Rocket.

Donnie Darko...sucked. I did like...Magnolia.

Woooooooooo!

Man, bad? BAD?? It's basically a defining moment in time travel when they go back to set up the sandbag, cage, gun, key, and guitar training at the end of 2. And Vai wails.

SAN DIMAS HIGHSCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!!!11

Hey you guys, making fun of Donnie Darko is so passe... I'm going to go curl up with some Lovecraft now. Adios, ay chi wah wah.

TEKELI-LI! TEKELI-LI!

1. Dutch = dumb

2. Marek = Dutch

3. Marek = dumb

4. Marek likes Donnie Darko

5. Donnie Darko is thus dutch

... :grin:

I liked Donnie Darko, but then I managed to avoid most of the hype. I don't require anyone else to like it.

Oh, the extended cut is rubbish though.

Oh, the extended cut is rubbish though.

The extended cut is just that half-a-movie worth of stuff that was originally cut out, right?

I watched the deleted scenes associated with the original cut on DVD and could not imagine how their addtion could have remotely improved the film since it removed basically any element of suspense or the unknown.

I am going to have to say:

Donnie darko was cool, but the ending was too ??... for me to love it. but the randomness of it was kinda interesting.

Requiem for a dream however, is a fuckin awesome movie! the first time i watched it i was literally stunned (kinda like in Hotel Rwanda but to a lesser extent ofcourse - a family versus half a nation). the cinematography was really good, not wasting time but still showing the actions (i.e. using the drugs) and the score by clint mansell and the kronos quartet was particularly good.

In response to the previous claim of it being a 'drugs are bad emmmk' movie. I disagree, unlike anti-drug movies in general RfaD also showed the 'good times' i.e. summer (a substantial part of the movie), where you basically wanna score some 'dynamite' drugs and shoot up in front of the television. On the other hand, the ending is fucked up and leaves you feeling terrible and sad. Hence the movie is more of an 'addiction is bad' because without the addiction everything woulda been ok. And that is what i like about it, a pure rollercoaster ride from the high's of high's, literally, to the low's of low's.

Did it or will it stop me taking drugs...

SHIT NO!

In response to the previous claim of it being a 'drugs are bad emmmk' movie. I disagree, unlike anti-drug movies in general RfaD also showed the 'good times' i.e. summer (a substantial part of the movie), where you basically wanna score some 'dynamite' drugs and shoot up in front of the television. On the other hand, the ending is fucked up and leaves you feeling terrible and sad. Hence the movie is more of an 'addiction is bad' because without the addiction everything woulda been ok. And that is what i like about it, a pure rollercoaster ride from the high's of high's, literally, to the low's of low's.

How is this unlike other movies about taking drugs?

Did it or will it stop me taking drugs...

SHIT NO!

... :shifty:

OK... i am sure there are other movies that have 'good times' before the downward spiral due to drug use. However, take 'traffic' for example, the movie has a few scenes where they 'have fun' on drugs but even then the boyfriend is portrayed like he was getting her to smoke H so he can fuck her rather than to have a fun high in itself. and the movie quickly goes into anti-drug mode (the OD at the party happens pretty early).

Other movies preaching anti-drug statements generally begin with a non-drug user who 'develops' a habit that takes over.

Ofcourse there are exceptions to every generalisation but Requiem begins the first scene with the boys taking the TV to pawn for drugs (both in this scene and when sarah goldfarb claims the tv back it becomes obvious this has happened many times). Which reinforces the fact that the drugs themselves never actually caused the problems, as they were there all along. The plummet to the tragic ending begins when they decide to make money out of it... and one could argue that the decline of the mother is due to tv and social stigma augmenting her depression i.e. seeing all the successful people on the J.U.I.C.E. program etc -> after all, it began because she wanted to diet.

Sara Goldfarb: I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

Harry Goldfarb: You got friends, Ma.

Sara Goldfarb: Ah, it's not the same. They don't need me. I like the way I feel. I like thinking about the red dress and the television and you and your father. Now when I get the sun, I smile.

but I don't know.... I haven't seen every anti-drug movie so I could be completely wrong