Sign in to follow this  
jokemaster

Is it just me or is Majesco.....

becoming a bit like the innovvative EA games. I mean, so far I've read of like 5 games that I was looking forward to that had run into publisher trouble, and it's MAJESCO TO THE RESCUEEEE!

Seriously:

Psychonauts

Advent Rising

Oddworld

and some others I don't remember right now. So basically, HORRAY FOR MAJESCO!

Yeah, Majesco seems like they really shaped up and started going after really good developers and publishing really good games. It's kinda like what ubisoft did a couple of years ago, when they stopped making crap games in hopes of making a small profit and started taking bigger risks on games that could make a lot more money on games like Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell (it's too bad they kinda suck again)

I guess every once in a while even the big guys have to renew their IP (speaking of Ubisoft) so maybe that'll happen again...

It should be interesting to see how Majesco fares with these "mainstream-rejects" under their wings. Here's hope that their success will prove them right!

becoming a bit like the innovvative EA games. I mean, so far I've read of like 5 games that I was looking forward to that had run into publisher trouble, and it's MAJESCO TO THE RESCUEEEE!

Seriously:

Psychonauts

Advent Rising

Oddworld

and some others I don't remember right now. So basically, HORRAY FOR MAJESCO!

*cough* EA published the latest oddworld game

Majesco is awesome. Though they're doing more than just publishing creative games that others rejected. It's picking up some really good licensed IP too.

Like Jaws. It's played from the perspective of the shark and the company that made Ecco the Dolphin are making it. That's a really good match between existing IP and a proven developer.

They've also got the rights to Teen Titans, Aeon Flux, The Darkness, and a billion other things I haven't been able to keep track of. That's the sort of IP that probably doesn't spring to Ubisoft or EA's mind but still has sales potential.

They make bucks with BloodRayne, licensed stuff and budget range WalMart crap no one cares about and also finance creative and original games with new IP. That's a really broad range of things, and makes for a healthy balance for a company.

Too bad about their NASDAQ ticker symbol though. And their new logo. ¬

*cough* EA published the latest oddworld game

*cough* Majesco has the rights to publish the next oddworld game, as read on this site here (you might have heard of them).

I'm not sure as to what I think of Majesco... on the one hand, they *are* publishing these games that didn't have a chance elsewhere, on the other hand, they are peddling Bloodrayne in Playboy :pan:

So, I don't know. The UBI comparison is good though. They could become a good publisher, like UBI 2 years ago; or they can become a crappy eXtreme publisher, like UBI now.

As in the glam rock group?

No, but that's the first thought I had too (it would be pretty interesting though) I think the darkness is a comic book series.

EDIT:Meh, duncan beat me

I'm not sure about the jaws game though. It's made by a great developer, but I've seen some odd screenshots of it. Like a screenshot where jaws is up in the air (because it jumped or something). Can sharks even jump?

*cough* Majesco has the rights to publish the next oddworld game, as read on this site here (you might have heard of them).

*cough* Fangus was cancelled because of OI's major restructuring, they are an ideas and art company now, as read on this site here (you might have heard of them).

*cough* Fangus was cancelled because of OI's major restructuring,

I'm not totally sure that that's the case. Lanning's still interested in making games so it's entirely possible that OI will do the design and outsource the actual production. That said, they're still trying to get in that 'window' for CGI film and TV, so assuming that all goes according to plan, there shouldn't be another Oddworld game for at least another three years, and probably more.

Can sharks even jump?

Assuming we are talking about sharks in general, I once saw Hammerheads jump 3m clear out of the water to let themselves crash sideways onto the watersurface(they do this in order to rid themselves of skinparasites).

Big Whites can reach speeds in excess of 30mph in water, so I would guess that they can jump as well... :hmph:

Can sharks even jump?

who gives a crap if they can actually jump? if it makes the game more fun, and it looks reasonably convincing, im all for it!

SiN

Like Jaws. It's played from the perspective of the shark and the company that made Ecco the Dolphin are making it. That's a really good match between existing IP and a proven developer.

*cough*

I think Majesco's publishing some cool stuff (I haven't opened Phantom Dust yet, but I can't wait) but Jaws ain't it.

Do you know there's stealth elements in the game? How about the fact that you pick up torpedoes and spit them at people?

Ugh. Early contender for worst game of the year.

It wasn't even originally a Jaws game! It was a weird game from a quirky (and slightly insane) Japanese developer that Majesco picked up and slapped the Jaws license on. So silly.

I really love the way Majesco is supporting all these small developers, and supporting innovation. But among all the titles they are releasing, the only one I have bought (or considered buying) is Psychonauts. I am keeping an eye on Advent Rising which looks very promising, but I'm waiting for the reviews.

*cough* Fangus was cancelled because of OI's major restructuring, they are an ideas and art company now, as read on this site here (you might have heard of them).

Explain to me how "...what we're choosing to do is abandon 100% in-house development for games..." equals "cancelled", cause otherwise I might be missing something here.

Picking up torpedoes and spitting them at people sounds like a game I want to play! Though it also sounds like it has zero to do with the Jaws license. I didn't know that.

Well, OK.

On Oddworld, I think Majesco is sort of their default partner for game things now, though more along the lines "how can be use/exploit the Oddworld universe in a variety of products" instead of "we'll publish your next game".