Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

Yet another Psychonauts thread

I felt that there weren't enough Psychonauts threads here so...

What mind are you looking forward to playing the most? If you've already played it I suppose you could say what your favorite mind is so long as you don't give any spoilers. :hmph:

I think I'm probably looking forward to Boyd's mind the most. It just looks so freaking crazy.

561517_20050419_screen006.jpg

After that would probably be either the Lungfish or Gloria's mind. The Lungfish because Goggalor rocks, and Gloria's because the bi-polar concept sounds awesome and I haven't seen any screenshots from it (or have and don't know it).

561517_20050419_screen017.jpg

LOL!! Always the big whore, aren't you, Mo_0s?

I seriously don't have a clue as to whose brain I'd like the most, and this is because I did a gamer's blackout on Psychonauts (remember when I officially declared it?). So, I don't know what the levels look like and how they're set up thematically and narratively. Guess there's only one way to find out: :gaming:

VELVET.

I'd probably be anticipating that one more if it's coolness hadn't already been shown off so much. But, yeah, it looks incredible.

[edit]Joe, I just glanced up at your sig and saw that you're playing Discworld Noir. Excellent. Deffinitely one of the best games ever. Have you played it before?

For three years, I've somehow managed to completely obsess about the game in the general sense while remaining relatively ignorant about specifics. I know that there are levels with black velvet paintings, Napoleon-themed hex-based strategy games, etc., but I don't know which mind belongs to whom. So I'm looking forward to playing them all.

[edit]Joe, I just glanced up at your sig and saw that you're playing Discworld Noir. Excellent. Deffinitely one of the best games ever. Have you played it before?

Nope, I just got it for the first time a week ago and I LOVE it. Infinitely better than the first two Discworld games, which were rather poor in my opinion. And since I'm a big Humphrey Bogart \ film noir nut, all the nods to Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep are rocking my world something awesome. :woohoo:

But yeah, great game. My only real complaints about it are the twitchy Lewton animations on XP and the voice of Sam Vimes, which is horrid in my opinion.

But yeah, great game. My only real complaints about it are the twitchy Lewton animations on XP and the voice of Sam Vimes, which is horrid in my opinion.

Yeah, the voices... I love the game, but it has some of the most irritating voice work ever. Have you talked to Rhodan the sculpter yet? :frusty: :\

Yeah, the voices... I love the game, but it has some of the most irritating voice work ever. Have you talked to Rhodan the sculpter yet? :frusty: :\

lol, yeah. Not all of the voice work is that bad, though. I'm actually pretty fond of Lewton's voice. Once you get through the intro and a bit into the game, his voice starts to suit him more and more. Nobby's seems pretty accurate, too. But maaaaaaan, Vimes' is bad. That has to be some of the most horrible casting ever. That'd be like having R. Lee Ermy play Raz.

Well, there were like four guys who did all the voices. I also agree, some of the voices are quite good, like Lewton's. Oh, and Maliclyps (or however it's spelled) the mad priest in the Temple of Small Gods. He rocks.

I accidentally played until 1:30 this morning. Lungfishopolis was awesome, and I'm in Boyd's mind right now. I think this game is the perfect canvas for Tim because the different minds allow for these random bursts of surreal creativity. In a way, it's like the Double Fine Action News come to life.

Oh, and Maliclyps (or however it's spelled) the mad priest in the Temple of Small Gods. He rocks.

lol, yes. Malachite was also pretty well done, though he didn't have to say much aside from "FIND THERMA!"

In a way, it's like the Double Fine Action News come to life.

Dear god, I want it NOW! :\

I think Malaclypse (from discworld noir - totally on topic) - the mad priest is one of the most hilarious characters in a video game ever. You can ask him about everything in you inventory or notebook - and he will reply at length about all sorts of conspiracy-theories... it's so damn funny....

ok back to psychonauts....

Overall, I loved the atmosphere of Discworld Noir... I can still remember those dark shadows and chilling, mysterious music.... some wonderful locations like the Church of Small Gods, and some really great ideas like the whole Smell collecting bit... however, I was disappointed that the game appeared somewhat unpolished. Rhodan the Sculpture was one of my biggest problems... fucking fucker! Overall, I didn't enjoy the conversations much... I felt that, although very funny and well written, the long winding Terry Pratchett dialogue didn't translate well to a game. Some, if not most of the conversations seemed pointless and I disliked the way you could ask the same questions over and over, instead of having used dialogue options removed. Some of the animations were twitchy and obvious loops, such as several character talking animations.

But, it was an excellent game. If it had have spent a few weeks longer being polished, and if it wasn't for the winding and pointless Pratchett conversations seemingly taken directly from a novel, it would be high on my list of favourites.

Like Psychonauts!

I felt that there weren't enough Psychonauts threads here so...

What mind are you looking forward to playing the most? If you've already played it I suppose you could say what your favorite mind is so long as you don't give any spoilers. :hmph:

I think I'm probably looking forward to Boyd's mind the most. It just looks so freaking crazy.

After that would probably be either the Lungfish or Gloria's mind. The Lungfish because Goggalor rocks, and Gloria's because the bi-polar concept sounds awesome and I haven't seen any screenshots from it (or have and don't know it).

I have played all of them, and they're all absolutely delicious, except for

the meat circus

which has some too-hard platforming and is a little visually boring..

Funniest level =

Lungfishopolis

Most fun gameplay =

Milla's mind

Best visuals =

ALL OF THEM HOLY JESUS

Some things I noticed when looking at all the screenshots I have, after I had beaten the game:

Screenshots showed what look like sub-levels for each of the suits of the queens that you have to collect in edgar's mind. In the final game there is only a mini boss battle. I wonder why those were removed..

The fred bonaparte screenshots I have show fred on the battlefield, which isn't in the game, and lots of units like groups of soldiers and cows, which aren't in the game. Also, the scale seems like it was changed from the screenshots.

The little lightbulb things are gone.

The screenshots showed parts of the coach's brain that didn't make the final game. Specifically the part where you're jumping on the bullet walkway

There are screenshots of milla's level that involve something coming up from the ground and grabbing people, this doesn't happen in the game.. to my knowledge...

Boyds brain will be the favourite for the adventure gamers out there me thinks.

agreed about the meat circus, i believe i reacted to that level by screaming ' I give this game 0/10" and then storming out of the house. Bob can testify.

to your last spoiler, PJ-

I got the hands thing in Boyd's mind! Then you have to fight this demon...

Looking at the old screenshots, you can really tell how the game looks so much better now!

to your last spoiler, PJ-

I got the hands thing in Boyd's mind! Then you have to fight this demon...

Yeah I know, but

the screenshots I have show the hand pulling some random NPC down in Milla's mind. Maybe it was supposed to be a kidnap rescue situation, but they changed the level and made it a solo thing..

Erm, I didn't really know which of the many Psychonauts threads this would be more appropriate in, but: has anyone else noticed that Raz's stare becomes more intense the closer the camera gets to his face? He kind of squints whenever you swing the camera to the ground to get a good look at his face.

I just thought that was kind of wierd.

You sure it's not that the game is switching to a higher polygon model with a more nuanced face and you don't notice the transition?