Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Current good PC games

Evidently it's all about the water. :grin:

mario sunshine still has the best water Ive seen in a game.

Farcry close second, and I saw it on my mate's 9800xt

if you just got a great new graphics board you wanna put it to some good use and see what you paid for! if you read the original post from chris you will notice that he is talking about good games for the pc with the great graphics to show the power of his new board. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Yup, I see what you mean :D

Still, it is interesting to see how after spending so much cash on machine we're very interested in how these games look (I'm guilty too).

Yup, I see what you mean :D

Still, it is interesting to see how after spending so much cash on machine we're very interested in how these games look (I'm guilty too).

How shiny the graphics are is not anywhere near the top of my criteria for what makes a "great game". I got this video card for longevity's sake more than I did to have the shiniest graphics. That said, I DID just pay a lot of money for it, and the way games look is really the only thing with any kind of remotely direct relationship with how much power your machine has. Things like design are sort of facilitated by having more power, but only generally in terms of the industry as a whole. Things like pacing, gameplay, writing, character design, etc., have little to nothing to do with the amount of power a given person's PC can muster. Soif they only real thing I'm getting out of having this new video card is the capacity for beefier graphics technology, I might as well want to see what it can do. Don't take it to imply anything about my general attitude towards games. Any of my friends would be able to tell you I'm about as least graphics-whorey as dedicated gamers come.

EDIT: This post was not intended to be antagonistic or anything. I'm just explaining my position and making sure you have the right idea of what I mean. No argument/offense/whatever intended! :)

Are there any PC games out that push current hardware and are actually really good games? Now that I THINK I have my PC finally working and am armed with a ludicrously powerful Radeon X800XT I want to see what it can do. I don't mean, for example, Doom 3. I played it and it was fun but it's not worth buying for me. I also already have HL2. I'm looking for suggestions like HL2 (except not HL2, like I said) and World of Warcraft, in which I am now able to turn up way more options and it looks incomprehensibly drop-dead gorgeous. Are there any other really high-quality and technically advanced PC games out there right now? There may not be and that's no big deal, I'm just wondering.

So Chris wants to see what his graphics card can do and wants to know if there's any games that puch the current hardware. I think that's why people are posting games with uber graphics. Seems reasonable to me :blink:

Actually Chris is a graphics whore who doesn't actually care if the game is good at all. He's been playing EQ2 since the day it shipped, and, now that he's finally got it back, is planning on finally adding 4 or 5 neon lights and a tiger-skin styled shag carpet to his PC's case.

Actually Chris is a graphics whore who doesn't actually care if the game is good at all. He's been playing EQ2 since the day it shipped, and, now that he's finally got it back, is planning on finally adding 4 or 5 neon lights and a tiger-skin styled shag carpet to his PC's case.

Shhh! Shut up! My long-standing and delicately constructed facade is crashing down like a house of cards!

Hey Chris

It's a little like Doom 3 in its fantasy/demon like appearance but 'painkiller' is reported to have better graphics than Doom3 (I have seen both but not fully turned up) and it has some pretty insane weapons etc. I haven't played either Doom 3 or painkiller much at all though (the problems with having a 960Mh processor attatched to a geforce 4 ti is that I CANT play them at more than 25 FPS) so I don't advocate it as an exceptional game or anything.

enjoy the beasty system

Touche Chris,

however, as i have only played this game when i have been under the influence of various intoxicants, having no storyline and being able to lay waste with some interesting weapons (yes the shotty is the best but i am a big fan of the #1 spinning blade) in a cool setting is quite enjoyable.

And there were cut scenes? I must have skipped them :)

obviously it is not what you are after though.

yeah this whole thread was really just a trap for anyone foolish enough to imagine he might know of an acceptable game out there that Chris hadn't tried, beat and summarily dismissed... :benstein:

I am not bitter, that is merely my Gallbladder devouring my body :clap:

yeah this whole thread was really just a trap for anyone foolish enough to imagine he might know of an acceptable game out there that Chris hadn't tried, beat and summarily dismissed... :benstein:

I am not bitter, that is merely my Gallbladder devouring my body :clap:

You've seen through my ruse!!