Marek

POP3 still generic, still raging

I think the second one did definitely ride in on the press hype and general praise garnered by the first one. But it was more of a "whoa remember that game you didnt buy but everyone was talking about? Well, there's a new one coming out soon and now it's fucking extreme! Way cooler!!" thing, I think.

Sheep, I tell you. Sheep.

Who cares how goth it was, POP2 was ass. I would avoid playing with a large, hairy ass no matter how much black nail-polish and lipstick is smeared on it.

I'll fess up. I bought the sequel around when it first came out. I've probably replayed Sands of Time a dozen times by now and loved every minute of it, so I was willing to give it a chance despite the negative hype that was starting to show once it got released. I figured, they couldn't have brutally murdered everything there was to love in the first game, could they? It couldn't be that bad, RIGHT?!?!

:frusty:

Worst.

Purchase.

Ever.

Worst.

Purchase.

Ever.

Man, I hear you. I did try to atone for it, though.

I never particularly had my hopes up about POP3. Mostly because Warrior Within was such a success ( :shifty: ) they probably didn't think they needed to change anything. Also, though, unlike the stand-alone Sands of Time, Warrior Within pretty much telegraphed what this third game was going to be about with its cliffhanger ending. Which also means that POP3 is probably going to be completely impenetrable for anyone who didn't play WW. Because honestly, what was THAT about.

I really don't see how reading the reviews would have put Ubisoft back on track, because they were absolutely glowing reviews. They really were. The only mention of the utter shit nature of WW was the reviewers ticking off 'lame atmosphere' on their review checklist. And then coming to the conclusion that it's still an awesome game, because you get like, fifty different combat moves! Did I die and go to heaven? Sigh. Some reviews (IGN, I think - and a lot of fans, certainly) even said the writing was better than in Sands of Time apparently just because it was more complex. And that is some thoroughly absurd shit right there.

The only reason that I would possibly buy POP3 would be to review it, because bitching at Ubisoft about this really never gets unnecessary. I'd still have to buy it, though, and that would make me feel kind of... greasy. I knowWarrior Within does get a lot of hate, and there are a lot of worse games, to be sure, I can't think of many sequels to a really beautiful, astounding, labour-of-love game that turned out to be so bad and so offensive. I'm positive now that the only way I'd ever buy another Prince of Persia was if Mechner was involved. Except he's working on the movie, and, really, does anyone think that's going to end well?

Also, though, unlike the stand-alone Sands of Time, Warrior Within pretty much telegraphed what this third game was going to be about with its cliffhanger ending.

I was hoping that by a stroke of godly intervention, they would change the plot somehow that the prince goes back in the past (he can travel back in time you know) to meet his nice sweet young self and tell him:

"I am you in the future, and you are going to grow up to be this angry asshole, who's into heavy metal and goth. You will have blood for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Please get married to Farah and run away as far as possible to a remote island where no one can reach you". And then you get to play the young prince on the mystic island where a new fresh plot unfolds. But alas...

Man, I hear you. I did try to atone for it, though.

I swear to you, that image of the Prince is one of the funniest things I've seen in years. I showed my younger brothers it and they laughed for five minutes straight (Two younger brothers, I might add, who were in junior high when Warrior Within got released and STILL thought it was a total goofy bastardization of the series).

I agree with what you said about the reviews, though. A lot of them said that the game wasn't half bad despite the difference in atmosphere, which is part of why I relented and bought it anyway despite the negative hype. I'm a big fan of Ivan Sulic over on IGN's website, who is also a huge PoP fan. He was still pretty hyped for the game despite the negative press for a while, then he came out with this rebuttle to IGN giving the game an 8.5:

I disagree with Hilary's rating of Warrior Within, which is a little odd since I was so enamored by Sands of Time. I respect Hil and his points -- as I do those of any IGN editor who is not Craig -- and can see every positive he cites, but my view of POP 2 differs considerably. Before we get into why, know that Warrior Within on PS2 is pretty much the same as the other versions only it runs a bit more sluggishly, appears darker, and shimmers a lot, so the following opinion has nothing to do with platform specifics.

As for me, the first issue I take with Warrior Within is that it intentionally ditched the magic and personable character development of the original in favor of a typically convoluted, poorly delivered time paradox plotline, which creates an excess of more -- a common theme throughout the game.

Another "more" objective in WW is to introduce the player to more combat interactions with more characters, which supposedly remedies the lacking boss fights from the original. But more doesn't always equal better. Crow guy, the Empress of Time, and the Vinyl-boat-slut all exhibit the exact same patterns with little to no variation. There's also a griffon, but he's just as easy to beat as the brutes, who are identical to one another.

As for more time powers, the new slow time ability now lets the Prince move at normal speed, making most of the combat pointless, since the enemies still move slowly. This addition also does away with the first game's eye and hand reflex requirement. Just turn on slow time and go straight through any saw, you don't even have to try! Since it's usually stored in vases and nearly every enemy in the game drops it, a player needn't worry about using his sand conservatively.

The one part of Warrior Within that remains relatively faithful to Sands is the platforming. More elaborate trap rooms have replaced the original's already meticulously designed chambers. And just like before, it's the best part of the game. Unfortunately, the platforming landscape is often dotted with the distracting "throw me over the cliff" fights, and they get tedious.

I'm also not fond of the awful music and voice acting. The casting of a Wolverine knockoff as the Prince and the inclusion of Godsmack is totally inappropriate, but at least the developers opted to use some terrible original junk to make the licensed stuff look better. The first time you meet Crow Man or Leather Tramp, you'll understand. Turning off the music and all of the voice acting is an absolute must if you play this.

I can appreciate the "we want to do more action" idea. But in the future, try to make that action worth playing. Like Sands, the highlight of Warrior Within is still the platforming. And, like Sands, the downside is still the combat. Unfortunately, the platforming is so adversely affected by the other "more is better" aspects of the game. The result is simply not spectacular, innovative, or polished. It's just there.

I just wish he'd said this before I took the plunge. :frusty:

Well, I'm still going to hang around to find out more information on this game. It's still a little too early to tell much of anything. For all we know, that could be this games gimmick. The Prince could be his normal suave and sophisticated self from the Sands of Time, but the moment he drinks the "Rage Potion", he becomes the siccesst m0st evilst bad mofo OMGWTF on da pl@nt!!

You might play the game through the eyes of the "SoT" Prince, in lushious environments, with a good story and script, with some puzzle elements to add a bit of flavor. But then you know the action is on, when everything goes black, and blood spurts out of enemies necks, and the Prince screams..."Eat sh1t!" in a menacing tone of voice, when he executes the death blow.

Of course, this could just be an all out blood sucking romp, where no holds are barred and everything goes, and basically like the Warrior Within.

Though, I must also make a confession, I am still tempted to play the game for myself. I had a blast on the demo a while back, but it was on PC, and I couldn't figure out the controls (I can barely use a keyboard to control a platformer anymore...). From the style, I can see I won't enjoy it as much as the original, but I still think it might be a bit of fun. Of course, it'll be when it's in the bargain bin, catching dust at the bottom, underneath copies of SOCOM and Matrix Online.

Ironically, that is the same attitude that got me to buy the game when it came out. I kept telling myself, "It might still be fun! They couldn't have marred EVERYTHING that made the original so great! THE PRINCE CAN'T FAIL!!!!"

Be sure to try the glitchy first demo that came out, rather than the cleaned up one that was released some time signficantly after the game came out. It'll give you a better idea what to expect from the actual game itself.

Ironically, that is the same attitude that got me to buy the game when it came out. I kept telling myself, "It might still be fun! They couldn't have marred EVERYTHING that made the original so great! THE PRINCE CAN'T FAIL!!!!"

Be sure to try the glitchy first demo that came out, rather than the cleaned up one that was released some time signficantly after the game came out. It'll give you a better idea what to expect from the actual game itself.

In that case...Ick.

And WTF happened to Ubisoft?!?!??!

:S

Probably the fact that they aren't releasing Beyond Good and Evil 2, their real coupe de gras.

Of course, this could just be an all out blood sucking romp, where no holds are barred and everything goes, and basically like the Warrior Within.

I think you mean "sucking blood romp".

And WTF happened to Ubisoft?!?!??!

I don't know. My once lofty opinions of them have since fallen considerably. No BG&E 2? Warrior Within? Absolutely for shit tech support? :finger:

At least they are keeping the Splinter Cell series going strong and well. Though I honestly don't play too much of it, I definitely respect it as a solid and well done series.

At least they are keeping the Splinter Cell series going strong and well. Though I honestly don't play too much of it, I definitely respect it as a solid and well done series.

Have you played the latest one? It suffers from the Warrior Within syndrome as well. Basically, you can kill anyone without worrying about anything. There isn't any danger any more, you're just so badass you can knife or shoot everyone before they can pull an alarm. :shifty:

Have you played the latest one? It suffers from the Warrior Within syndrome as well. Basically, you can kill anyone without worrying about anything. There isn't any danger any more, you're just so badass you can knife or shoot everyone before they can pull an alarm. :shifty:

But the graphics are sooo shhhhiiinnnnyyyy.

No, I agree with you.

I haven't played the third one, but it looks in the comercial like a) They pushed the graphics way too far as everything looks like it's moving at 12 FPS, B) they still have no motion caputure so the prince...errr...Sam Fisher looks very robotic (or maybe it's the 12 FPS).

I remember once I saw this kid playing the first Splinter Cell, which I own, and what I really didn't like is the way he ran around and shot people like it was Grand Theft Auto III! Where is the love for sneaking around like a ninja and shit?

Expectations are pretty much confirmed. There's a post on the Gaming Age forums that quotes a post from a Ubisoft guy on the IGN forums. Yes, that is needlessly circuitous but when it comes to matters Prince of Persia I suddenly find myself incredibly apathetic.

Some depressing quotes:

I, personally, like the mature prince better. Nothing wrong with that...is there?
At no point do you have to use this "stealth feature" and if OPM wrote what they should have, it would have been labeled a new stealth art. It's different. It's not a traditional stealth approach. As a matter of fact - don't use it. Go in with swords up and ready to roll. The Free-Form fighting system has been enhanced - use it to its fullest. However, this new stealth feature is something you need to see to understand. It's just different. It's a combination of the Prince's athleticism with an unseen strike. I think we're all hard-core gamers and can appreciate novelties that work. This is one of them.
Look, I can say this in all honesty - the leap in gameplay is greater from WW to 3(no title yet) - then TSOT to WW. As well as the story...telling.
There will always be the purist who wants TSOT 1.5 - it's not going to happen. We want to continue to innovate the brand - and we will.
3rd time is a charm - that much I can back up.
I don't think TSOT fans will feel too far from home while WW fans will still have the tools to be badass.

FUCK YOU.

And the new amazing gameplay twist is APPARENTLY that you play as two characters. GROUNDBREAKING, I KNOW.

Doesn't Jordan Mechner own the rights to Prince of Persia? It's too bad he keeps allowing them to make the generic rage PoP games.

It's amazing. Ubisoft has managed to go from my most favorite publisher, to my second despised one after EA, and they managed to do that in one year.

There will always be the purist who wants TSOT 1.5 - it's not going to happen. We want to continue to innovate the brand - and we will.

There will always be the purist who wants compelling gameplay wrapped inside well formed characters, visuals, and storytelling - it's not going to happen. We want to continue to dillute what made the first game good by upping the amount of black (and tribal tattoos!) on the screen at any given moment, upping the gritty forced trash talk, and definitely up the amount of characters in metal thongs - and we will.