Sign in to follow this  
ChooseStevo

Psychonauts Online?

A recent job posting on Gamasutra has revealed that Double Fine Productions, makers of the Most Excellent Game Psychonauts, is looking for a network game programmer:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/jobs_display.php?job_id=5853

The primary job responsibilities are to architect the company’s next-generation networking infrastructure, define programming policies and guidelines for the creation of networking-compatible software, and develop a networking system for online play.

Work with external vendors to develop solutions using and/or extending their online service SDKs, including, but not limited to, Xbox Live.

They're also looking for a Senior Technical Artist and Senior Producer, but those don't seem to reveal much else.

What do you think? Could be downloadable content via Xbox Live for Psychonauts, or maybe its a yet unannounced title they are working on.

I would think that, but it might already have some support in their already. I was only speculating on one of many possibilities. The "Psychonauts Onine?" title was more for a "What the heck? I have to read this kind of reaction." I do know for a fact that they are working on something from what I gleaned from the DF crew at GDC. Tim Shafer online? This intrigues me.

Sometimes companies make more than one game. I'm looking forward to DFAN:Source.

The network programmer job also drops the ubiquitous "next generation" in there, which at this point can't be referring to Xbox: the first. If they were just looking for a Live programmer to drop downloadable stuff into Psychonauts it would probably say as much. I really doubt that's the case.

It also says "experience with PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and/or PC development (familiarity with Xenon is a plus)," so it might mean current-gen when they say next-gen. I very much doubt that it's downloadable stuff for Psychonauts too. To me though, Tim Shafer seems like a single-player kind of guy, and if he's doing something multi-player its hard for me to imagine what it could be. It just excites me to know he's do something that I have no clue about.

Psychic Deathmatch
That sounds really good, odd as the notion may be. :buyme:

[imagines using his mind to trigger all the boogers in Kingz's nose to travel up into his brain cavity and explode like grenades, causing Kingz's head to convulse violently and blood to rush out his ears, eyes, nose, and mouth]

;( OMG!! I'm so fucking sorry!!

postulation: double fine's next production will be a massively multiplayer adventure game featuring all your favorite characters from everything you ever liked, with Tim Schafer somehow inhabiting each and every copy of the game so he can decide how best to make you, personally, laugh your ass off constantly for ever.

postulation: double fine's next production will be a massively multiplayer adventure game featuring all your favorite characters from everything you ever liked, with Tim Schafer somehow inhabiting each and every copy of the game so he can decide how best to make you, personally, laugh your ass off constantly for ever.
Best Game Ever.

;(;(:sartre::eathat::tup::tup::worship::chaste::P :9~

i hope

3) It will cost you money.

doesnt mean its gonna be a MMO-game ... that would piss me off quite a bit, and it prolly wouldnt do to well in terms of sales seeing as WoW has eaten up the hardcore AND softcore market

[edit] nevermind .... point 2 makes it sound like he'll just be saying that Psychonauts is in stores ... either that or some sort of extra content for Psychonauts [/edit]

SiN

Yeah Psychonauts comes out tuesday. Or at least ships to stores Tuesday.

nevermind .... point 2 makes it sound like he'll just be saying that Psychonauts is in stores ... either that or some sort of extra content for Psychonauts

Yeah, I think it's looking likely that The Big Announcement is that Psychonauts will be available for purchase on Tuesday. :shifty:

I don't think the announcement will simply be Psychonauts (though it could damn well be as anti-climactic), nor do I think it will have anything to do with the job listings or some sort of new title. Kinda early for that.

1) It is rad.

2) It is going to be something you can start messing with THIS COMING TUESDAY.

3) It will cost you money.

4) You will not mind.

Soundtrack?

Edit:

Now, here is another clue about the exciting ANNOUNCEMENT that I will be making soon:

Foist celery upon abdomen!

Okay, since Tuesday is coming quick, I'll give you another clue:

I'm reading The Da Vinci Code!

One more!

Are you a total BABY or what? Stop asking for clues and figure it out, Little Baby Foo Foo!

Soundtrack?

I think that is likely, though it does seem a little late to be announcing it. Maybe they're bundling it with the game or something?

I, personally, believe that it will be a contest to help him decide who, among his fans being of legions, he shall adopt.
Whozitjiggawhat?

Well, there will be a soundtrack, we already know that. I assume this announcement is relating to the soundtrack, although the whole "mess with" statement doesn't seem appropriate when referring to a soundtrack.