MrHoatzin

GTA3 sucks (or so evil tongues say)

This thread is split from this thread

move along, nothing happened ;)

--

ysbreker, who for the first time tried to split a thread, and failed.

Wow, check out the crotch on that one! Hard-boiled eggs for dinner, anyone?

...uh, what are you talking about?

Anywho, I didn't like the GTA feature. I didn't laugh. I smiled once. GTA does promote violence, and has for a long time...way back to its 2d roots. The fact of the matter is, it was only popular enough when it was made into a casual-gamer based, 3d game on the PS2 that enough soccer moms started bitching about it. The game has always been about ridculous over-the top violence, and you can indeed get points in "kill-frenzies" (atleast in GTA 2, which was much better than 3...better graphics too). But thats not the point.

The point is this is America, and we want to do whatever the fuck we want when it comes to games, movies, speech, literature, etc. Fucking Lieberman and his left-wing pals, raining on our parade.

Oh, and GTA 3 blows.

Despite its obvious encouragement of violence, I actually do go out of my way to avoid it. That is, with the exception of the assassinatoin missions I'm given, and even then my targets have themselves been responsible for bloodshed. Not that that argument has any validity term of ethics. Whatever. Funny how a mere computer game can still be subject to one's moralistic stance.

EDIT: Oh my god, that is one strategically shaved pussy.

...uh, what are you talking about?

Anywho, I didn't like the GTA feature. I didn't laugh. I smiled once. GTA does promote violence, and has for a long time...way back to its 2d roots. The fact of the matter is, it was only popular enough when it was made into a casual-gamer based, 3d game on the PS2 that enough soccer moms started bitching about it. The game has always been about ridculous over-the top violence, and you can indeed get points in "kill-frenzies" (atleast in GTA 2, which was much better than 3...better graphics too). But thats not the point.

The point is this is America, and we want to do whatever the fuck we want when it comes to games, movies, speech, literature, etc. Fucking Lieberman and his left-wing pals, raining on our parade.

Oh, and GTA 3 blows.

Point number 1: graphics in GTA2, which I have owned for a while (got it as a present a while ago, had no inclination to try it out) but installed just the other day to see if it is any good, are shit. It is hard to navigate and kinda tedious. GTA III is an improvement in every way.

Point number 2: rampages are indeed in the game, but they amount to killing other gang members and people in cars, so no one undeserving of death gets plugged.

Point number 3: freakin' Bugz Bunny cartoons promote violence, ok? EVERYTHING promotes violence! The US anthem promotes violence! Yet I don't see the millions of people who bought the fucking GTA games rioting in the streets, throwing Greek fire at each other.

I agree. GTA3 is one of the few action titles where the violence, save for the assassination missions, is entirely optional.* It's there for the taking, yes. But, who decides to take it or leave it? You, the player. This argument can keep going around in circles for all I care. We can even bring up the ancient Romans who, when not creating great governmental systems, superb plumbing, and societal models, staged and watched spectacularly gory and deadly sword battles between gladiators or fed heretically religious followers to the lions and ate dinner as they watched.

* QuakeIII is far more disturbing its conception of graphic killing as the only means necessary to earn points.

atleast in GTA 2, which was much better than 3...better graphics too .

WTF? Are you on drugs?

What a strange confused paragraph. Are you for or against Lieberman’s stance on violent games?

The GTA guy also does what ever the fuck he wants. Doesn’t that mean he is the quintessential American by your reckoning?

In other news, the best thing about GTA3+ isn't the killing. Things like non-linear game play, involving storylines (particularly with Vice City), amusing satire, and most importantly, the fact that you have a whole city to explore is what makes modern GTA games so great. Sure violence is a big part of it, but that isn't what makes them special.

Even though they are violent, what's the problem with that? It's fucking fun. I'm one of the least violent people you could ever meet. Just because I enjoy GTA doesn't mean I'm a crazed maniac.

It's just a game. You’re killing pixels and polygons, not people.

Anybody who blames their real acts of violence on a video game are just fucking deluding themselves. As Kingz argued, violent people will be violent. They might get ideas from a game, but they would have lived out their sick fantasies in some other manner anyway.

Most players are even tempered people, and will continue to interact with their fellow man in much the same way they did before playing GTA.

In GTA you can't do whatever you want. You can do mostly whatever you want as long as its violent. I'm not blaming anything on anyone, I think GTA should stay, there is no argument! We're all on the same side!

And I for one liked GTA2's graphics more, it had a style, the colored lighting was nice, and the little nuances like pulling the camera back at fast speeds was cool. GTA3's graphics are just an eye sore. Granted GTA2 was in 2d, but if you put GTA3 in a top down view it doesn't look nearly as good.

Granted GTA2 was in 2d, but if you put GTA3 in a top down view it doesn't look nearly as good.
HAHAHHAHAHHAHA! I don't care how horrorshow harmful it may be, I want some of what you're smoking.

Twas I indeed. But in the case of Dreamfall it was just some freindly specualtion.

In GTA3's case, I know it sucks. Completely derivative, no creativity, putrid graphics...the radio stations were mildly entertaining at least. It is the Mortal Kombat of this decade.

And I don't give two fucks if you agree or not. I didn't even want to start a GTA discussion, I just wanted to say the article wasn't funny.

:ratchet: :fart:

In GTA3's case, I know it sucks. Completely derivative, no creativity, putrid graphics...the radio stations were mildly entertaining at least. It is the Mortal Kombat of this decade.

I'm curious, what does it derive from? In the video game world I mean.

Name me one game with a better soundtrack than Vice City. I defy you. (Perhaps excluding Grim Fandango).

I'm happy for you to have your opinion, but I feel it needs more justification.

Name me one game with a better soundtrack than Vice City. I defy you. (Perhaps excluding Grim Fandango).

Silent Hill 3. Well, arguably, of course. At least it's an original soundtrack, exclusive to the game.

:ratchet: :fart:

Ooo, now you've done it! You farted into Kingz' created face!

On topic: I like GTA 1's graphics better than GTA 2's. GTA 2 looks so... generic and boring. We've seen it before in Syndicate, for example.

--Erwin

Dude, what is up with you? You used to be sane... and then I dissed you under the pretext of creative differences and shortly thereafter euthanised that game we were making... so this is probably some sort of infantile revenge or something...

I'm flattered.

Silent Hill 3. Well, arguably, of course. At least it's an original soundtrack, exclusive to the game.

I'd argue that Silent Hill 2 has a better soundtrack than both Vice City and SH3.

Afterlife soundtrack rules all. I wish there was some way to obtain high quality versions...

Let's make this clear GTA1 & 2 were fucking shitty games : boring gameplay, encouraged violence and ugly graphics.

GTA 3 was surprisingly clever compared to its ancestors and regarding both gameplay and graphics. AND violence wasn't the main point of the game anymore... it's just a layout or a mean to achieve something.

edited - yeah it was GTA2

I think vimes meant to say GTA 1 & 2 vs. GTA 3.

Could someone remind me why the first games encouraged violence more? I remember you could drive over pedestrians and since the streets were so narrow, you often had to (and got points for it). Were there other issues?

I think vimes meant to say GTA 1 & 2 vs. GTA 3.

Could someone remind me why the first games encouraged violence more? I remember you could drive over pedestrians and since the streets were so narrow, you often had to (and got points for it). Were there other issues?

if I remember right, when you drove over pedestrian the points gained were appearing in big fonts on the screen

Moreover, the entire gameplay ( and nearly all the missions) were based on this system of gaining point killing people randomly in the streets.

Uh, I was referring to ysbreker's thread splittage.
Heh. Oops.

By the way, since when does everyone have the power to split threads?