Sign in to follow this  
Alex

Beyond Good & Evil

Beyond Good and Evil rocks a multitude of socks! Just finished it.

If anyone here is into anime and has play this, did it remind you of those old school Studio Ghibli productions?

Thirded.

Also, this is totally Gaming General discussion. Time for movage.

I liked the art direction. And a few unique gameplay elements (like taking photos). I didn't like the action sequences - mostly mindless button mashing - and didn't like the ending.

But still the best game I've played in years.

Anachronox, a vastly underrated rpg of a few years back, also had photo-taking quests.... Does anyone remember that game?

yeah, i do, the way the story was directed was kinda similar to that of BGAE now i come to think about it. But it still wasn't all that spectacular.

In fact now i come to think about it, it shared quite a number of narrative elements. Intrigue!

If there's a bad point to be made about BGAE though, i'd say that it was easy to a silly degree. The button mashing fighting was a bad point as dan says, but that stems (i think) from the ease of the game which makes such tactics possible.

I liked that it was easy. It wasn't so easy that you were just walking from place to place but it wasn't so hard that I was unable to progress (up to where I am now, which is right before the Slaughterhouse - yes I know Chris, I need to beat the game).

I also liked that it had actual characters in it instead of "random action guy #3561, and random boobs #43721" or whatever. Thats my biting criticism.

the ease did certainly give it a relaxed feel, but i wish there could have been some sort of a difficulty setting. It just makes such a huge contrast with the alpha units (who are hard as fuck) when you come up against them.

P.S. - I'd definately like to do a looking back article for this game too, or at least have someone do it

I really liked the overall ease of the game as well. For me it really brought out the storytelling and artistic aspects of the game. It didn't really feel like I was just breezing through it faster than I needed to, even though I may have, since it felt so well-paced to me.

Also, Jake: You really need to beat that game.

when i heard that they wouldn't be making a sequal due to how poorly the first one sold, i felt bitter for ages. It still stings.

Like sam and max all bloody over again

when i heard that they wouldn't be making a sequal due to how poorly the first one sold, i felt bitter for ages. It still stings.

Like sam and max all bloody over again

Ah, crap, are you serious? Where did you see this? I was under the impression the sequel was still go. CURSES.

I have a copy of BG&E, brought it home for work for the missus. Might have to boot it up as she hasn't.

So, if they're not making a sequel, are they making something else?

Rayman 8.

Speaking of Anachronox, the screenshots of the snowswept town in TLJ Dreamfall remind me of Anachronox: Version That Doesnt Look Bad.

I didn't mind the fighting too much, it was cinimatic enough to make an easy fight fun, but what didn't work was the clumsy, boring, unforgiving stealth portions. If you were caught, you were dead, and thats frusterating. But, like the fighting, it was cnamatic.

If you were caught, you were dead, and thats frusterating. But, like the fighting, it was cnamatic.

They seem to be pretty generous with little caves and pits you can duck into to avoid the crazy death-grid kill-o-bots which come after you to clear the area I thought. Though I'm not done with the game I've rarely been killed after getting caught, though I agree that the stealth is a little cheezily done.

Both Beyond Good and Evil and Armed and Dangerous desparately need sequels so the developers can really deliver polished genuine versions of their original concept. Both those games had so much going for them, but you felt like they only met you half way in the end.

I haven't still got my hands on BG&E, but I hope that'll happen soon ;)

And I'm also hoping that in E3 2k4 Michel Ancel unveils a new unbelievably great game.