Sign in to follow this  
Skinkie

Commander Keen

Discuss, celebrate this masterful series. I beat the first one and the foruth one. I had the first one down to an art, I could beat it in about an hour I think, and I was 12. The fourth one I only beat once, any other times that level with the big fish was always my downfall. Played the demop for 6. No real memories of it though. And what was up with the Keen Dreams game? Vegetables? Come on.

Although I played the first three one, I didn't play them all the way to the end, and they didn't excite me as much as the Duke Nukem side scrollers. But then I found the second trilogy. Oh man. It was so good. The worlds were so imaginative and fun. This was back when id Software still made games instead of tech demos. *sigh*

Does anyone know if the GBA Commander Keen game is any good?

Commander Keen (can't remember which one) was one of my first game ;( My father installed it on my first own pc when i was about 7-8, Nostalgia...

Really enjoyed it a lot.

By the way I dont think it was available for GBA but it was available for the GBColour. It sucks according to those who have played it (I've been trying to find the rom without any success so I cant express my opinion here).

Keen Dreams sorta reminds me of Red Dwarf. That "Quarantine" episode where Rimmer goes insane. Heres what I'm talking about:

LISTER: Well we've passed the test, Rimmer. You can let us out.

RIMMER: I can't let you out.

LISTER: Why not?

RIMMER: Because the King of the Potato People won't let me. I begged

him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here.

Keep you here for ten years.

CAT: Could we see him?

RIMMER: See who?

CAT: The King.

RIMMER: Do you have a magic carpet?

LISTER: Yeah, a little three-seater.

RIMMER: So, let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet

to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your

freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?!

Thats probably the only reason I kept on playing Keen Dreams. To see the King of the potato people. Wouldn't you agree that there's some sort of similarity?

I first played Keen4 The secret of the oracle when I was 11 (I think) years later thanks to Andrew Kepple (the biggest Commander Keen fan ever) I started playing it again. I downloaded all the others and played them.

Check out this fanimutation. It was created by Andrew Kepple and contains some Monty Python references through the use of Keen sprites.

Oh man, hahaha. That's a Dutch song by Uncle Henk ("Ome Henk" is a series of CDs and comic books with distinctly pubescent humor). The actual refrain is: "Do you know what I want? / an inflatable crocodile / to drift at sea / among all those hot chicks" :shifty:

You should check out the sequels (yes thats right, this is a trilogy)

Plan 9 from Underpants also features some more Keen references (Look for the Dopefish in the world map, not to mention some secret messages in the Standard Galactic Alphabet)

Conquest of Animutopia is the final episode in the Colin Mochrie vs Jesus H. Christ Trilogy. If you pay close attention you might see the Commander Keen Leprechaun from the previous episode.

Also visit www.dopefish.com

Commander Keen rocked I got all the early ones but only played the shareware/demo versions of the last one or two games.

I think there was at least meant to be one more in the series but it was just never gotten round to.

Check out the complete Keen history site below which explains almost everything you would want to know about the games.

http://www.3drealms.com/keenhistory/

Commander Keen rocked I got all the early ones but only played the shareware/demo versions of the last one or two games.

I think their was at laest meant to be one more in the series but it was just never gotten round to.

Check out the complete Keen history site below which explains almost everything you would want to know about the games.

http://www.3drealms.com/keenhistory/

There are certainly a few spelling errors here and there.

:dopefish:

Keen was on of the first games I got for the PC.

Sadly, I only figured out how to get in to the secret level in Keen IV about two months ago.

Yes, I have been trying for about 12 years...

...And come to think of it, I've forgotten. Didn't it have something to do with Monty Python? Jesus christ! I spent 12 years figuring it out and I've forgotten!

As far as I remember, and this was ten years ago, you have to wait in one of the three pyramids, in the lower levels, on one of those moon shapes in the dirt for a few seconds before a giant foot swoops down from nowhere and takes you to the secret pyramid. I am not sure if the starting pyramid is automatically flagged after that. I think it is the top right one you have to do this in...

As far as I remember, and this was ten years ago, you have to wait in one of the three pyramids, in the lower levels, on one of those moon shapes in the dirt for a few seconds before a giant foot swoops down from nowhere and takes you to the secret pyramid. I am not sure if the starting pyramid is automatically flagged after that. I think it is the top right one you have to do this in...

I think it was the pyramid with the moon on it. Get to one of the lower floors and gather all the inchworms together and they'll turn into a big foot. I think you have to use the gem card as well on this bit of the level to get all the worms. If you stand on one of the moons however, Keen will "moon" you.

Commander Keen IV was one of the first games I played on the PC. This was back in 1994 when I was 9 years old. I loved the game from the first moment I layed my eyes on it didn't take long before I had played through all the CK games - several times! Ah, the memories...

There were no smooth scrolling arcade games back in 1990?? Man, a lot has changed in the last 14 years.

Or just use the no-clipping cheat ;)...

True... But making the foot appear is more fun. In fact, we should have it as a smilie.

True... But making the foot appear is more fun. In fact, we should have it as a smilie.

Agreed - if only to go with dopefish...

I played lethal amounts of Commander Keen from about age 8. Keen 6 was my favorite until I played it so much that I started to like 4 better. You guys have some really messed up smilies.

:\

What's that? Hair? Coming out of its EYES? Sick. Just sick, I tell you.

I played lethal amounts of Commander Keen from about age 8. Keen 6 was my favorite until I played it so much that I started to like 4 better. You guys have some really messed up smilies.

:\

What's that? Hair? Coming out of its EYES? Sick. Just sick, I tell you.

These smileys are nothing compared to the ones they have on the AGS boards.

--Erwin

Heh. I've still got the version of episode 5 that contains the infamous "pipe swastika" that John Romero put in one of the levels. That crazy, crazy bastard.

Heh. I've still got the version of episode 5 that contains the infamous "pipe swastika" that John Romero put in one of the levels. That crazy, crazy bastard.

Pipe Swastika?? Where?

Speaking of which, if you have Red Dwarf series 3 on DVD and play the backwards episode in reverse the closing theme backward it'll sound like "I saw swastikaaaaa...." and so on (dont you just love crazy satanic messages)