Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Screw Duran Duran to HELL!

So I buy Duran Duran's Astronaut, and once I've seen all the great extras that come with it, I go to rip it to my PC so I can put it on my Zen and listen to it on the go. Oh, wait, copy protection. No matter how I rip it from the CD, it messes up the darn song. I feel like I'm trying to do something illegal. I feel frustrated. Damn it, I legally purchased their album and I feel like a budding criminal! All I want is to listen to the music I legally fucking purchased!!!

My frustration at not being able to listen to my own music has tempted me to download the music I've already bought, in order to put that on to my MP3 player even if I can't get it off the CD. I've resisted so far, simply because Duran Duran are probably the sort of fuckers that would do me for downloading their music. Even if I already own it... which makes it legal or something. I don't know. Fuck everything to HELL, especially Simon LeBon.

Furthermore, why the fuck is Nick Rhodes holding a guitar in the booklet to this album???!

try recording it through the in-line of your computer from a standalone cd player or through an optical line (if available) from a dvd player. then you can still encode it. this is exactly the kind of shtick we legal mp3 users are bothered with all the time,but you also have the right to return the disc to your dealer... at least in germany...

I don't want to download the album online because

a) I already have it

B) I'm on dial up

c) I want a CD collection when I'm old and creaky, not an MP3 collection.

Exactly! I'm not going to buy every new album I get twice, one for my CD player and one for my MP3 player. That's ridiculous!

ArGHhHghh!!!

According to Duran Duran's FAQ...

Why does Nick Rhodes wear so much makeup?

It boosts his confidence and makes him look younger.

How do I copy the tracks to my portable device?

To copy a track to your portable device, you must have the OpenMG Jukebox or SonicStage software that came with your Sony portable device installed on your computer. Once you install the "MUSIC PLAYER" software on this disc, then you can use "MUSIC PLAYER" to send tracks to your portable device through OpenMG Jukebox or SonicStage.

How do I put these tracks on my iPod or Nomad MP3 player?

Currently, the software on this disc in only compatible with portable devices that support the current version of OpenMagicGate. If you are running the following software, you will need to upgrade in order to use "MUSIC PLAYER".

OpenMG Jukebox Software Version 2.2 (and lower)

SonicStage Version 1.0.06 (and lower)

What the hell? I have a Creative Zen, probably one of the most popular MP3 players on the market, and it didn't come with any software that I'm aware of other than the creative crap. Does this mean I can't legally put the tracks on it? 'Cause I'm raging. Oooh how I rage.

Increasing my rage further: can't even find their fucking retarded music player shit fuck download on their cocksuckering site.

iTunes and Windows Media Player, and the software that came with my Creative Zen. I don't have anything vaguely illegal sounding to use on it. I am now proceeding to download the offending tracks on eMule. I'm so pissed off.

I mean, not allowing tracks to be sent to an MP3 player, that's DEFINITELY not helping Music Piracy.

And what pisses me off more is that Simon LeBon is probably sitting in a converted Ice Cream van behind his house, watching with beady eyes and taking the details of every person that downloads it.

ArGHhHghh!!!

According to Duran Duran's FAQ...

Why does Nick Rhodes wear so much makeup?

It boosts his confidence and makes him look younger.

How do I copy the tracks to my portable device?

To copy a track to your portable device, you must have the OpenMG Jukebox or SonicStage software that came with your Sony portable device installed on your computer. Once you install the "MUSIC PLAYER" software on this disc, then you can use "MUSIC PLAYER" to send tracks to your portable device through OpenMG Jukebox or SonicStage.

How do I put these tracks on my iPod or Nomad MP3 player?

Currently, the software on this disc in only compatible with portable devices that support the current version of OpenMagicGate. If you are running the following software, you will need to upgrade in order to use "MUSIC PLAYER".

OpenMG Jukebox Software Version 2.2 (and lower)

SonicStage Version 1.0.06 (and lower)

What the hell? I have a Creative Zen, probably one of the most popular MP3 players on the market, and it didn't come with any software that I'm aware of other than the creative crap. Does this mean I can't legally put the tracks on it? 'Cause I'm raging. Oooh how I rage.

Increasing my rage further: can't even find their fucking retarded music player shit fuck download on their cocksuckering site.

Sony portable device, huh? Haha, long live record companies owned by electronics manufacturers.

--Erwin

I could mail you an unbuntu CD? That way you can use the awesome power of linux to rip the disk to MP3 and that way you don't have to sacrifice your poor dial up connection for downloading a crappy version via that virus infected kazaa network. And another bonus is that you don't have to worry about that converted icecream truck outside too.

You could also go back to the store you bought the cd from and demand a version which does let you use it on your portable device.

yey! sony fucks up again...hahaha

they just don't get the whole mp3 age thing

oh and ... yeah, the creative zen whatever is surely among the most popular players...

gogo linux!

I still have the aphex twin album (drugz) which I can't listen to on my ipod, cuz it's copyprotected... this friend of mine ripped it using linux and gave it to me... but it's in ogg vorbis format... hahaha, this stuff makes you feel like woody allen...

Oh we need a Woody Allen icon!

everybody in favor say Aye!

Aye!

I'm so frustrated and disappointed by this.

The album is actually neat. I like the music a lot. It's nicely designed and had all the lyrics and photos of the band, as well as a CD and a DVD... the CD full of music, and the DVD has Band interviews, live concert footage of a bunch of their songs, and a music video. You feel like you're getting your moneys worth. If anything is going to encourage people to buy and own their own music, it's packaging it like this.

But stopping copying... that's just terrible. Does anybody even use a walkman any more? It's cutting off their nose to spite their face. It's penalizing the people that do buy CDs, and giving even more of a reason for those that download it to continue doing so. It's definitely going to make me think twice before buying another album, if the only time I'll be able to listen to it is when I'm at home in my room. I'm not going in to my room just to listen to Duran Duran. I'm most definitely not buying something that I see the "Sony Copyright Protection" logo on, since I'll probably never get the chance to listen to it anyway.

Furthermore, the software on the CD crashes my PC, and the DVD isn't playable on my PC DVD player! My PC hasn't crashed in two years! So, what, I pay for an album, I can't listen to the music or watch the DVD, and it crashes my PC?

I'm furious. I mean, I bought the freakin' thing. I'm delighted at the quality of the contents. But man, the copyright protection has infuriated me beyond the point of belief.

Now what you do is cut and paste that post, print it out, and mail it to Duran Duran, their manager, their publisher and anyone else you can think of. If nothing else you'll probably get free tixkets to their next gig :D

Yeah I am not sure if it is still the case, but I think I recall some kind of copy protection (and if memory serves me right, it was Sony in that case as well) that would actually crash your Mac to the point where it would no longer be possible to boot your machine! I believe there were cases where people just had to send in their computers or reinstall from scratch... and they got away with it by simply stating on the packaging, that it wouldn't play on either Mac or PC... In germany there was a small uproar because of this and they ended up discontinueing this copy protection scheme. Also, funny thing is, most CDs with current copy protection no longer adhere to the standards set up in 1989 or whenever that was, that defined the compact disc (CD) as we know it. essentially those can no longer be labeled as CDs... :finger:

Now what you do is cut and paste that post, print it out, and mail it to Duran Duran, their manager, their publisher and anyone else you can think of. If nothing else you'll probably get free tixkets to their next gig :D

yeah man, but they're Duran Duran, they make the Rolling Stones look old... ok not really, but still, ... they're fucking old!

Duran Duran are awesome!!! Shut up your face!!!

And Nick Rhodes still looks young and pretty! Although partly that can be attributed to his foundation, blusher, lipstick and gloss, eyeshadow, mascara and luscious blonde hair.

Ah ok, sorry, I obviously must have misinterpreted the name of this thread... gross yuffi, REAL gross, they could be your grandparents for christ's sake (or should I say for jewtopia's sake?)

I think you may have misinterpreted the intent of the post. I'll say it again:

Nick Rhodes still looks young and pretty! Although partly that can be attributed to his foundation, blusher, lipstick and gloss, eyeshadow, mascara and luscious blonde hair.

Duran Duran are awesome!!! Shut up your face!!!

Honey, I grew up listening to Duran Duran. Believe me, they're OLD. But I trust your judgment, I'm sure the music's good. But then the last bunch of stuff I heard from them sounds like they can never shed their postmodern 80s pop atmosphere, it creeps into the music somehow. Scary, that.

Honey, I grew up listening to Duran Duran. Believe me, they're OLD. But I trust your judgment, I'm sure the music's good. But then the last bunch of stuff I heard from them sounds like they can never shed their postmodern 80s pop atmosphere, it creeps into the music somehow. Scary, that.

Yes I know they are old. I guess nobody caught my sarcasm.

I also grew up listening to Duran Duran. My Parents had a lot of their stuff, and I followed them through from the 80's right through the times when only Nick and Simon remained, and now. Okay, so I'm a little late to buy their new album, but cut me a break!

You should pick up the limited edition release of Astronaut. It's good. Some of the songs are, unfortunately, forgettable. However, Reach up For the Sunrise and Want you more are both excellent, upbeat tracks (Want You More reminds me very much of the Scissor Sisters), and What Happens Tomorrow is probably my favourite track. Astronaut is good, although Bedroom Toys is just plain hilarious... I'm not quite sure if they meant it to be, but hearing Simon LeBon drone 'oh my god what's this' when he finds sex toys in his girlfriends bedroom is just priceless. In an awful way, though.

Nice is great, and reminds me of their earlier stuff. The other tracks are fairly mediocre, and usually if I'm actively listening I'll skip back to the beginning. Sunrise, Want you More and What Happens Tomorrow are definitely the best on the album though. For me.

Uhhh, although that album SUCKS, so you probably shouldn't buy it! SINCE YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO LISTEN TO IT.

Random Trivia: I read somewhere that Nick is a Mac user.

You should pick up the limited edition release of Astronaut. It's good.

Hmmm, you got me interested. I'm downloading it right now. :ratched:

--Erwin

My sister used to run a Duran Duran fan club. Then she got better, her sanity returned and all was good in the world again.

Random Trivia: I read somewhere that Nick is a Mac user.

Like all good hearted people.