Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Video games too hot for CNN Money

larry.jpg

http://money.cnn.com/2004/05/11/technology/e3_nekkidgames/index.htm

Nekkid people are coming to a video game near you. Some will be funny. Some will be sexy. And some will be just plain raunchy. At least three games on display at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (better known as E3, the annual trade show of the gaming industry) feature characters frolicking au naturale – with two of those introducing sexual elements.

"Singles" is best described as a naughty version of "The Sims." It doesn't shy away from male or female full frontal nudity – and the graphics are rather sophisticated. You'll play matchmaker for two characters, setting them up as roommates and running their daily lives, with a particular focus on dating and relationships.

Once one character has successfully wooed the other, the game goes into a voyeuristic mode, letting you watch the ensuing... um, action. Character couplings can be same-sex if the player so chooses.

The ESRB slapped "Singles" with an AO rating, but Eidos (EIDSY: Research, Estimates) has found a way to skirt the aforementioned distribution problem. Instead of using traditional retail channels, the company plans to release the game only via online download (though it's possible a toned down version may be released via retail down the road). Due early this summer, "Singles" will cost $30, which is less than a retail version of the game would likely cost

"I was a little disappointed [with the AO rating] because I feel the M rating should be very similar to an R rating in the movie industry," said Tom Marx, Eidos' project manager for Singles. "Granted there's full frontal nudity in 'Singles,' but there's full frontal nudity in movies. I don't really think someone is going to get the same feeling of attraction in seeing a full frontal digital game character as they would from seeing that in an actor or actress."

Etc etc. I mainly posted this for the LSL picture.

What does AO stand for? Adults Only? I'm not surprised. Playing something so saaaaad is probably more harmful for young minds than a lifetime trapped in a small room with only GTA3 and some Spice Girls CDs for company.

Guest James

says a lot bout cnn money...