Sign in to follow this  
Manhunter71

Help With Feeble Files On Xp!!!

Today I re-installed The Feeble Files on my XP machine, really wanting to replay it.

It installed fine but when I tried to run the game all I got was a black screen. Settting compatibility mode to Win95 or 98 doesn't seem to help, so I was wondering if anyone here has got this great adventure game to run on XP??

MH - You may need to uninstall, and reinstall using the compatability mode. When you put the cd in the drive, and it wants to start, cancel out of that. Go to run and the drive letter to see the contents of the cd. right click on the install or set-up icon, and select the compatability mode. Try win98 first. When it installs, find the icon and right click on that, and again select the compatability mode, using the same setting as you did for the install. You may need to lower the video acceleration for this as well. For this, go to the control panel, and audio/video settings. There will be a slide bar to move - start by moving only one notch to the left at a time. You may have to lower your display settings from the control panel as well, to 600 by 800, or even 480 by 600, and lower your color settings to 256 colors.

I can't give you exact settings, partly because I don't remember, and partly because each PC is a bit different from every other one. If this doesn't help, then uninstall and reinstall with the compatability set to Win95 for both the install and the running of the game.

FGM

MH - You may need to uninstall, and reinstall using the compatability mode. When you put the cd in the drive, and it wants to start, cancel out of that. Go to run and the drive letter to see the contents of the cd. right click on the install or set-up icon, and select the compatability mode. Try win98 first. When it installs, find the icon and right click on that, and again select the compatability mode, using the same setting as you did for the install. You may need to lower the video acceleration for this as well. For this, go to the control panel, and audio/video settings. There will be a slide bar to move - start by moving only one notch to the left at a time. You may have to lower your display settings from the control panel as well, to 600 by 800, or even 480 by 600, and lower your color settings to 256 colors.

I can't give you exact settings, partly because I don't remember, and partly because each PC is a bit different from every other one. If this doesn't help, then uninstall and reinstall with the compatability set to Win95 for both the install and the running of the game.

FGM

Hey FGM - thanks for your help here and on AG but I tried with compatibility for Win95 and 98 - no joy whatsoever!

Looks like I'll either have to buy an old PC or download Virtual PC ;(

what is the Feeble Files?

Oh man! If you've never played The Feeble Files then you're really mising an adventure game treat - its an old Win 95 game about an alien called Feeble who's job is to create Crop Circles down on earth!!

Feeble is a bit of a pussy an dis played excellently by Robert Llewellyn of Red Dwarf fame (you'll probably only appreciate this if you're from the UK!)

But, if you have an old system with Win95 or 98 installed then I wholeheartedly recommend this game!!!

http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com/reviews/e-f/feebleR/feebleR.htm